A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fever and Shivering

Regular User

Fever and Shivering

My father has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer few weeks back. Doctor is giving him chemo, but every week he is getting shivering and fever (about 102). Our doctor said it is the common side effect. Is there any one else who has experienced these things. Thanks.

Senior User
    102 isn't common. That seems really high.

What chemo treatments is your dad getting?

Regular User
    He is getting Gemcitabine and Tarceva. Two cycles has been completed.

Hi,

I agree with Tony it is not normal. My dad just had his fourth treatment of chemo yesterday and they were not going to do his chemo because when he first arrived his temp was 99.6 it must have been a fluke because it was normal the next time they took it in 15 minutes. They told us that if he ever has a fever over 99 that he should be seen by his doctor.

Lisa

Regular User
    Yeah, I know it is too much . Earlier when I talked with another doctor he said it might be symptoms of Malaria. And our oncologist said it is normal, and he does not want to give both the medication together.
    Any one taking Tarceva ?

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    My dad was getting Gemcitabine alone and he was ALWAYS cold. However, the fever only came on because of a reason. He had gotten an infection where his stent was placed, and then he had came down with pneumonia. But, that doesn't seem the case with your dad as his fever goes away. 102 does NOT sound normal...I would keep pressing for answers until they figure out what is going on. Don't be afraid to be pushy and demand more tests and answers.
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieC View Post
    My dad was getting Gemcitabine alone and he was ALWAYS cold. However, the fever only came on because of a reason. He had gotten an infection where his stent was placed, and then he had came down with pneumonia. But, that doesn't seem the case with your dad as his fever goes away. 102 does NOT sound normal...I would keep pressing for answers until they figure out what is going on. Don't be afraid to be pushy and demand more tests and answers.
    Exactly. Ask as many questions to the doctor as you want. That's why he is there . Good luck.

My dad has chills alot too, and low grade fever like 99...oncologist said it is normal, 102 though is not normal.

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by laurah01 View Post
    My dad has chills alot too, and low grade fever like 99...oncologist said it is normal, 102 though is not normal.
    99 is normal. Anything over 100 isn't.

Regular User
    Thank you all for the reply. We talked with the doctor yesterday and he said that they need to put the Stent again as it is not working properly. Not sure what to do now.

That's what happened to my dad....twice. The area around the stent had caused an infection (which caused the fever) because it had moved a bit. They had to do the endoscopy to remove the old stent, put the new one in and put him on antibiotics to cure the infection. It's a simple procedure and he had to stay in the hospital for a couple of days, but really just a very minor bump in the road. It's good that you caught it now and in a few days, he'll be back on track. No need to worry!
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

Hi

So glad you found out why and it is an easy fix.

Lisa

Regular User
    Thanks you very much for all the information. It is really helpful.

When is he supposed to go in to have it done? Do they have him on any antibiotics yet? If it is truly what happened to my dad, it is an easy fix BUT very dangerous if left untreated....

Senior User
    My husband has been feeling nauseous, over-full and has had a headache for the past few days. Now he has a fever of 100.5. He hasn't had chemo in two weeks (scheduled for this upcoming week). I don't think we ever went over with his oncologist what are the criteria for calling (like at night or a weekend) If this was one of my healthy kids or myself, I wouldn't even think twice but after reading some of these posts, I am concerned that maybe there is a problem with his stent. I emailed the medical team but do you think I should call too?
    9/22/11 - Husband of 23 years diagnosed with Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer - asymptomatic
    10/11/11 - clinical trial @ Georgetown Hospital Oxaliplatin, Leucovorin, 5-FU and trial drug ABT-888
    2/1/12 - Gemzar and Xeloda
    3/19/12 - CT shows liver lesions shrunk 30% and CA19-9 down to 35!
    8/1/12 - All tumors have grown by 100%, stopping chemo - we will let it be.
    8/31/12 - A peaceful and pain-free death, we couldn't have asked for anything more

Hi mom3boys

I would try to call them. I know they told us if my dad went up it was better to be safe and call because the stent is a foreign object in their body is subseptible to infection.

Lisa

Mom3bys, do what your gut tells you...if it would put your mind at ease, I would call.

Laura

I would call...this is all so new and foreign to you that I would never hestitate to call with ANY question. Not to mention, fevers are usually caused by an infection of some sort and that can be very dangerous during this time. All of the times my dad had a fever throughout this whole ordeal, it was something specifically that was causing it.

First time, it was the stent. My parents waited to see if the fever would break...it didn't. Once they finally called the dr. and he went in, they had trouble getting his blood pressure to go up...it was dangerously low due to the infection in his body.

The second time he had a fever, he came down with pneumonia (which is a side effect from having chemo) and ended up in the hospital for 18 days. 8 of those days, he was on the ventilator. We didn't think he was going to make it. He lost 30 lbs. in those 18 days and he's never been the same or regained his strength since.

The third time he had a fever, it was the stent again. That time, it became dislodged and moved up into his liver. Fortunately, my mother had called the dr. right away at the first sign of fever, and it was a quick fix and was only in the hospital for 1 night.

The piece of advice that I will always give based on what my dad has been through is to call the dr. at the first sign of fever...don't wait!!! My dad's dr. had also told him that the stent should be replaced every 4 weeks or so because it can become so easily infected or dislodged. Although 100.5 isn't particularly high (my dad's oncologist had said that anything under that isn't considered a fever while going through chemo), I wouldn't risk it after seeing what an infection can do to someone. I would hate anyone to have to go through what my dad did....

HI Debbie,

I have a question for you. You said that your dad's doctor said the stent should be replaced every 4 weeks? We were told if my dad didn't have surgery in December it woudl have to be replaced the end of January since it was put in on September 23. I am concerned if it 4 weeks because it has been in for over two months.

Lisa

Senior User
    I had not heard that about the stent being replaced either, but will certainly follow up! I emailed the Dr. and he called right back and said that to be completely safe we should go to the ER for a CBC but my husband doesn't feel that is necessary and "doesn't want to start running to the ER and over-reacting this early in the process" the Dr. said it was his call and didn't seem too concerned. *sigh*. Hopefully it is idiopathic and will be gone in the morning.
    9/22/11 - Husband of 23 years diagnosed with Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer - asymptomatic
    10/11/11 - clinical trial @ Georgetown Hospital Oxaliplatin, Leucovorin, 5-FU and trial drug ABT-888
    2/1/12 - Gemzar and Xeloda
    3/19/12 - CT shows liver lesions shrunk 30% and CA19-9 down to 35!
    8/1/12 - All tumors have grown by 100%, stopping chemo - we will let it be.
    8/31/12 - A peaceful and pain-free death, we couldn't have asked for anything more

+ Reply to Thread