A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pain,Weakness,Nausea,No Appetite,Weight Loss, Are these what most people experience??

Regular User

Pain,Weakness,Nausea,No Appetite,Weight Loss, Are these what most people experience??

Oct 26th my husband was diagnosed with 3cm tumor on head of pancreas. Have had CT,PET,EUS, then 2 days before Thanksgiving had to go to local hospital due to jaundice. Had ERCP done with stent. My husband is Vietnam Vet who due to economy only has VA health insurance. He has had no real care yet. I battle everyday with these people and he finally has a appointment with Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa to see a surgeon on Tues. My real issue is everything he is experiencing. The pain,weakness,nausea,no appetite,continued weight loss. Do most people go through this? I understand everyone is different but just wondering. His Pet did not show the cancer had spread. Thanks for any feedback.

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    Well first of all, that is wonderful news that it shows no sign of spread! That is a major advantage in fighting this disease and I'm so happy to hear that. Also great that you finally have an appt! I read your previous posts and I know the trouble you went through, so that is also a huge step in the right direction!

The symptoms your husband is having...yea, that just about sums it up. My dad was lucky enough to NOT have too many symptoms before finding out he had it, however, just being here and reading other stories sounds a lot like what your husband is feeling.

Hopefully, the visit on Tuesday will be the beginning of getting this thing under control, and hopefully removed! I know it's hard for him to feel sick like that, and hard for you to see it, but hang in there just a bit longer and hopefully things will become much more clear when you see the surgeon!
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Regular User
    Thanks Debbie. It sounds like your Dad is doing well. That is great news! There are so may times I want to post on here and just cannot.
    You offer support to many by answering posts. Thanks,Again

He is doing much better now. It took some time getting here, but it seems to all be coming together now! Thank God, because I dont' know how much more any of us, especially him, could take!

It sounds like they have already determined that your husband is a candidate for surgery, is that right?
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

Hi Mamoo,

Do you have another local VA Hospital you could try? I am sure you are very frustrated. I found this list online of va locations in Florida I don't know if a different would be better. My dad was actually diagnosised at VA hospital in Missouri because he was getting put on the agent orange list because of his diabetes. They were fabulous so there are good va doctors out there. I can't say how the continued treatment would have been because he did not receive care there as he was more comfortable with his own doctors.

http://www.floridamalpractice.com/linksvafacilities.htm

My dad like Debbies had really no symptoms until after his stent was place. They only lasted for about for about a week after as the bilrubin was going down and draining. Did they check the stent to make sure all was okay?

i hope and pray that he gets to feeling better soon.

Lisa

Hi Mamoo, I am sorry you and your husband are going through this. It is hard enough getting a cancer diagnosis, but you do not need all this red tape, especially for your husband who has served this country. My dad had no symptoms except dull ache on his side and some digestive issues which were not uncommon for him over the years. His tumor is in the tail with mets to liver. He has had no jaundice, no increase in bilirubin etc. Wish I could be of more help. You are in my thoughts.
    Laura

Regular User

Last night he was in horrible pain and had a 102 fever

I Thank You all for your replies. Yesterday afternoon he was in great pain,vomiting (1st time)and went to bed at 5 pm. His temp at 9 pm was 102. He would not let me take him to the hospital. He got up this morning for about 15 minutes and had to lay down again. He refuses to spend days in hospital when we finally have a appt. with a surgeon for next Tues. His temp is down but he says he is drained. I do not know what is happening here or what to do! He is now angry with me for trying to push him to go to hospital. Our whole problem with the VA is Dr. never told us that VA hospital from the get go was way to go and she sent us to local hospital. We are caught between the two worlds of VA and outsource

Mamoo, my dad ended up with pancreatitis shortly after being diagnosed which was very painful. If he is in alot of pain, please have that checked out to make sure nothing else or another complication.

THAT does not sound typical to PC...although there is no real "normal" and it effects everyone different, it's the 102 fever that gets me worried....especially when accompanied by everything else that he's feeling. That is usually caused by an infection, which when left untreated could be deadly. I know men can be stubborn sometimes, my dad included, but he's GOT to see a dr. ASAP!

Newbie New User
    Hi Mammo

Like Debbie said...everyone is different. My Dad had similar problems to your Dad, He would be dripping with sweat and have a high temp. And also refused to see the doctor. My Dads cancer had already spread when he was diagnosed so I am not implying this is a symptom but it does sound very similar. Maybe you could contact the doctor for advice rather then making him see the Doctor if he is not feeling up to it. My Dads oncologist helped over the phone and were brilliant in saving the hassle of taking him to and from the hospital. As you can imagine, them feeling that poorly that would be the last thing he would want. If your anything like me its a case of constant worry. Hope all is ok with your Dad though.

Thinking of you. x

Regular User
    That sounds so crazy doesn't it? To have pancreatic cancer and then get pancreatitis? Yes , you are right that it is very painful. He has agreed to go to the VA clinic tomorrow as a walk in patient. I will mention that to the DR. Thanks!

Regular User
    Hi Debbie. My husbands symptoms seem so severe compared to what I read on here. I am worried that there may be a infection from the stent that was put in on Nov.25th. He has agreed to go to VA clinic tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to find out something.

You may have read on another post already...but my dad had infections twice becuase of his stent. The first sign was a fever, then aches, chills, shivering, nauseau....he just felt rotten. If that's the case, it was an easy fix. Go in, treat the area, replace the stent, then antibiotics for a few days afer. I hope that's all it is. We'll be thinking of you both...good luck!

Regular User
    Yes, the last thing he wants to do is go to the hospital. He has agreed to VA clinic tomorrow so hopefully we can find out what is going on.
    Thanks for your reply.

The pain from the pancreatitis was worse than any pain I've seen my dad in since being diagnosed with the PC itself.

Hi Mamoo,
    I just wanted to say good luck at the va clinic tommorrow. I hope they find what is making your husband feel bad and get him feeling better soon.

You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Lisa

+ Reply to Thread