A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do positive lymph nodes on a pet scan mean lung cancer is recurring?

Newbie New User

Do positive lymph nodes on a pet scan mean lung cancer is recurring?

Hi, I am a newbie who is looking for information. My 82 year old mom was diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer almost 3 years ago. She was stage IIIb. After chemo and radiation, she has been able to enjoy very good quality of life since treatment ended. Recently, her pet scan showed several 2 cm lymph nodes glowing on the opposite side of her chest. Does anyone know if this means her cancer has come back? We are seeing her oncologist soon but my mind is working overtime. We have been extremely grateful for the extra time we've shared so far but this is really worrying me. Many thanks for reading.

Pet scans can show false results. I'm so glad she has had good quality of life for three years. I would wait and see what the onc says. a
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Lisaflo, Welcome to our Forum! Sorry that you feel the need to be here though. April is right, best to wait to hear what her oncologist says. I really hate the waiting part, your mind goes into overdrive and a million what ifs keep you tossing and turning at night. We're here if you need us during the wait or after. I'm glad that your Mom has been able to have a good quality of life since her treatment ended. That's a real blessing. Please keep us posted after she see her oncologist. God Bless you both.
    Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Newbie New User

Waiting for fine needle aspiration of lymph node to check for recurrence

Hi, the oncologist is worried about recurrence so we are waiting to hear from interventional radiology for a fine needle biopsy of my mom's lymph node. Scary indeed. Has anyone been down this path? I am not sure but I don't think a recurrence is something you can put into remission... Then again I assumed a recurrence would mean a new tumor showed up, not enlarged lymph nodes by themselves. Any words of wisdom are much appreciated. Thanks too for all the information everyone is sharing in general. It's really nice to have access to such well informed, unbiased fellow humans. Thanks.

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi lisaflo, No real words of advice to offer. The waiting time really sucks! There are no shortcuts and we would only be guessing. If I were in your shoes I'd say a prayer for the best. We're here if you need us anytime. Try to keep busy until she can get the biopsy results. God Bless
    Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Hi Lisa,

The one rule about lung cancer is there are no rules. That your Mom successfully pushed the beast back for the amount of time she did is a little miracle in itself. I hope it's not a return, but it can come back anywhere that any cancer cells can grab hold and grow. Lung cancer isn't typically ever considered in "remission." They usually utilize the term NED (no evidence of disease) due to its propensity to return. We do have people here who have held recurrences in check for meaningful lengths of time. The fact that it took your Mom's (should the biopsy be positive) this length of time to return is a good sign that hers might be one of those that is manageable for a longer period of time.

Keep us posted and know that we understand how frightening all of this rotten cancer is for everyone.

God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Newbie New User

Update from original poster - cancer spread to lymph nodes - Tarveva anyone?

Hi all, it's taken a while but we finally learned that my mom's lung cancer is in the lymph nodes under her arms and is supraclaviclar - under one collarbone. She feels pretty good but of course we are all scared to death. The doctor is testing her to see if she is a candidate for Tarceva - it will be a secondline therapy. Has anyone had experience with this treatment? Does anyone have experience with initial spread to lymph nodes and beyond? I want to be sure that she is not over treated but also want to do as much as she wants to do. I feel for everyone who is going through this agonizing process with loved ones. Thanks for reading.

Regular User
    Hi Lisaflo,
    My mom is Stage 4 (and has been since 2008 -- so yes, there are no rules with this disease!)
    Her cancer spread to the lymphnodes and had some removed. She mostly has been mobile and without discomfort for the most part.

Sarah

Hi Lisa, I can tell you that my husband tried the Tarceva. I was looking forward to that one and hoping it would work. However, he had a bad reaction to it and had to stop after 8 pills. Don't judge any of this just on my post. I know others that have done well on it. My husband had allergic reaction to several chemo drugs. It can go either way. If she is able to try it, I hope it works.
    Husband (year of birth 1941) dx'd 2008 NSCLC - Squamous Cell Carcinoma
    Chemo and Radiation Treatments together. Allergic reaction to Taxol & Taxotere.
    The Story 2008 to 1/2011: http://www.cancerforums.net/about9079.html

2010/2011: Returned & spread to lower lumbar bone/marrow. Stage 4.
    Chemo & Radiation together. Allergic reaction to Erbitux. Chemo was only Navelbine.
    The Story continues 2/2011: Story continues 2/2011: http://tinyurl.com/68qpmym

+ Reply to Thread