A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swollen lymph node under jaw on the lft side

Newbie New User

Swollen lymph node under jaw on the lft side

Hi, I've been reading through these forums and haven't yet found something similar to mine.

I have a swollen lymph node on the left side just under my jaw near the jaw line just before the curve of the jaw that goes up to the ear. It has been there around 4/5 months. I had a hole on the bottom back of my gums on the left side as well which was caused by a wisdom tooth piercing in to it. Most of the time when the hole started to ache the gland will swell up and become for 2/3 days then gradually go smaller, less than 0.5cm but will not go completely. After I got my wisdom tooth in December the gland didn't swell up and was still less than 0.5 cm. I use to keep on poking it to see if it grew because I thought it was cancerous. Last week Sunday I came down with a flu or cold and Monday Tuesday Wednesday were the worst days. My gland started to swell again out of the blue on Tues and Wedn morning it will have a dull ache throughout the day and when I touch it the pain will be there sometimes and other times it won't. It is still there and it has been 5 days. Sunday 1 Jan was a bit bigger and today it seemed to be less smaller than sunday and seems like it is going down. I'm going to make an appointment today morning just to get it checked out and ask the doctor what it is other than that should I be worried about anything else?

Do you think it could be cancerous? It does move a bit sometimes it's tender sometimes it's not. I know no one can diagnose this through the internet but just want to know if this is likely to be the cause of a cancer.

And the maximum size my node has gotten after I becamse ill I would say is 1.5/2cm nothing bigger than 2cm.

I am 24 years old I don't drink, don't smoke cigarettes or do any form of drugs. I only smoke hookah pipes occasionally.

I'd appreciate anyones views and thank you all

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi mynnn

This doesn't sound like cancer but you need to see a doctor to rule it out.

please read this thread as everything in it applies to you:

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...h-NO-diagnosis

Make that appointment as soon as you can.

Good luck
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Newbie New User
    That was a quick reply thank you ChemoMan it does reassure me. I have read the "first time posters with no diagnosis" so I am calm LOL.

I was just curious becuase it was there for like 4/5 months and that it did not gradually get big, it will just get big out of the blue due to some pain in gums or the mouth being dry or having flue and the pain would last mostly 2 days although the pain wasn't life threatening just a dull ache there and now.

I forgot to mention I thought I had HIV so tha is why i started to feel for glands and when I did i found one under my jaw. 2/3 weeks before I caught the cold/flu I had a cough because of the cold wind and everytime I breathed in there was this ticklish feeling which made me cough. I started to feel my neck for glands and when I became ill there were two down my neck on the left side, one of the gland which was above the second gland was around 1.5cm and the second one below was 1cm both were kind of sore and I think they went down less than a week or so.

Anyway thank you for your comment and I will update you what the doctor says. Do you think I need to get it biopsied or get any scan or do you think the doctor will be able to tell by feeling because it is not that big?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mynnn View Post
    That was a quick reply thank you ChemoMan it does reassure me. I have read the "first time posters with no diagnosis" so I am calm LOL.

I was just curious becuase it was there for like 4/5 months and that it did not gradually get big, it will just get big out of the blue due to some pain in gums or the mouth being dry or having flue and the pain would last mostly 2 days although the pain wasn't life threatening just a dull ache there and now.

I forgot to mention I thought I had HIV so tha is why i started to feel for glands and when I did i found one under my jaw. 2/3 weeks before I caught the cold/flu I had a cough because of the cold wind and everytime I breathed in there was this ticklish feeling which made me cough. I started to feel my neck for glands and when I became ill there were two down my neck on the left side, one of the gland which was above the second gland was around 1.5cm and the second one below was 1cm both were kind of sore and I think they went down less than a week or so.

Anyway thank you for your comment and I will update you what the doctor says. Do you think I need to get it biopsied or get any scan or do you think the doctor will be able to tell by feeling because it is not that big?
    Hi

If it is enlarged then the doc may give an antibiotic and wait. I should imagine STD testing will occur as well considering the fears you mentioned in your second post. If the node responds to antibiotics then you will be in the clear. if not a biopsy will need to be done at some stage.

Good luck
    Age 58
    Stage 2a
    NED on the 2/01/2013

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

Newbie New User
    Well I had an STD check up just waiting for the results.

Would have gone to the docs on monday but it was bank holiday and thank you for the quick reply again seeing your reply gets me happy.

I read that some lymph nodes don't completely go down and they stay a small size, they're cally shotty nodes or something??

Do cancerous lymoh node come on the neck as I read it is possible to get them on the neck groin and armpits, so does the jaw line fall under neck or is that completely different? I never seem to find any information about lymoh nodes under the jaw line just before the curve it always seems to be around the neck.

Forgot to mention I'm from UK, London and Happy new year keeping doing what you do, you lot are doing a great job

You may just have an infection somewhere. I have had that happen to me also.
    10-26-11 Mom 72 diagnosed stage 4b rectal cancer
    11-19-11 5FU chemo and radiation
    12-27-11 hospitalized with blood clot in the lung
    1-12 total colostomy and vaginal floor reconstruction 23 of 23 lymph nodes cancerous
    3-15 started folfox & oxyplatin
    5-12 blood transfusion
    8-29-12 pet showed no colon cancer but 3 medialstinal nodes cancerous
    10-16-12 started camptosar and erbitux
    12-3-12 back on chemo, no chemo working
    2-4-13 begins radiation for nodes in chest
    3-25-13- ICU for radiation neumoititus
    4-10-13 Mom took the hinges off the Pearly Gates
    9-18-13 Now my sister colon cancer
    9-18-13 surgery for tumor removal
    9-18-13 ICU aspirated bilateral pneumonia
    9-27-13 surgery for leakage, colostomy
    10-16-13 port put in
    11-5-13 scheduled for a pet scan
    11-11-13 PET scan "CLEAR" started 5-FU

Blog Entries
    Hi mynnn

Do cancerous lymoh node come on the neck as I read it is possible to get them on the neck groin and armpits, so does the jaw line fall under neck or is that completely different? I never seem to find any information about lymoh nodes under the jaw line just before the curve it always seems to be around the neck.

Any node can come up anywhere in the body but the neck and underarm nodes are common. lumps can also appear anywhere in the body outside of nodes and this is called extranodal presentation.

If you want to see a map of the nodes type in lymph nodes in google images and you will get plenty of hits.

Cheers
    Age 58
    Stage 2a
    NED on the 2/01/2013

Newbie New User
    Hi all.

Went to the docs today the doctor felt the node couldn't find it first then told me to point it out to him, he felt it and said that it is nothing to worry about and because I said that the gland goes up and down due to what I have described befire. The fact that it has been less than 6/7 days the gland was swollen and it is started to go down the doc said it shouldn't be a problem.

Another thing he mentioned was that because my gland was not really big like the size of a golf ball or a walnut and that it's not gradually growing everyday it was nothing to be concerned about and because I have been feeling better since I becamse ill the gland won't be that tender anymore as it is starting to go down.

The doc also said because my gland started to swell because of a hole in my gum 4/5 months back now this gland may be active and everytime I get an infection it might start to pop up.

The doc did say that I could have a scan if I wanted to but the size of my gland and the fact that it goes up and down due to infections doesn't seem to worry him so I took his word for it.

Let me know what you lot think

Thank you

Blog Entries
    Hi Mynnn

Let me know what you lot think
    I think you are in the clear and you can leave this place. Take care and I hope you never have to come here again.

Cheers
    Age 58
    Stage 2a
    NED on the 2/01/2013

I also think you are in the clear. It sounded like infection from the start and I am so glad the Doc thought so too.
    I wish you a long, happy and healthy life.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User
    My gland is much smaller now so I think it was an infection.

Thank you all for your support and information. I wish you all the best and a happy life.

Senior User
    I am more jealous than words can say.
    Age 50
    Follicular Non-hodgkins lymphoma Stage 2 on 10-28-2011
    Upgraded to Low grade follicular non-hodgkins lymphoma Stage IV on 11-11-11.
    Cancer in lymph nodes found in neck, back of abdomen, between both lungs and cancer cells found in bone marrow test.
    Prescribed Treanda and Rituxan, 4 months. To start 11-28-2011.
    Remission 2-17-2012
    Rituxan treatments start 4-25-2012, once every two months for two years
    Learning as I go.

+ Reply to Thread