A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: alternative treatments for Cholangiocarcinoma (bile duct cancer)

Newbie New User

alternative treatments for Cholangiocarcinoma (bile duct cancer)

Hi,
    My mother was diagnosed two months ago with cholangiocarcinoma (bile duct cancer) with several tumors in her left liver lobe. The doctors gave her just days a few days to live because they good not put stents in her liver for the free flow of bile which was trapped in her liver. Then we went to this Greek hospital and the doctors managed to put the stents. Doctors say that any kind of treatment won't save her life. It might make her live longer. Perhaps the doctors are right but I do not want to let her die without doing anything so I have been searching the web for alternative cancer treatment and I have been reading books on cancer. I know that there is a lot fo misinformation and deception. That's why I joined this forum. I was hoping that people could give me some accurate information
    Firs.t I found this Gerson Institure and they have accepted my mother's application but I do not know if it works. Has anybody any experience with it?
    Second, I have read about this IPT therapy which is kind of chemiotherapy but with less side effects. Can anybody recommend me a doctor who practices it in Europe?
    Third, I have read that a possible solution for cholangiocarcinoma is liver transplant from a living donor and I could give up to 70 percent of my liver to my mother to save her. Does anybody know any hospital in Europe which can do this?
    Finally, has anybody tried any alternative treatment that has worked? I want people who have tried it to answer this question, please
    I hope I get answers
    Desperately
    Mar

I am so sorry to read about your mother's diagnosis
    I have no knowledge about IPT therapy so I can not comment.

Unfortunately alternatives do not work. These people prey on the desperation of people.
    IF you find any scientific studies that prove effectiveness please post them for us all.
    This forum does not support the use of alternatives instead of proven medical treatments, depending on the cancer of surgery, chemotherapy, radiation etc.

If you wish to play with your mother's life, spend lots of money with these then by all means do them but they will not help.

I am so very sorry about her prognosis. Don't you think that any of us diagnosed or caring for those with cancer would have done these if they were proved to work?

My advice is to spend as much time as you can with her, talk about memories, allow her to talk about what is important to her and at the time, give her your OK to go and that you will be all right.

My mother died 2 years ago. I like you would have wanted to try anything to keep her with me but I had to accept that she had to go.

http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/Trea...gerson-therapy

http://www.cam-cancer.org/CAM-Summar...y/Does-it-work
    Last edited by Didee; 01-08-2012 at 01:09 AM.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by MAR View Post
    I found this Gerson Institure and they have accepted my mother's application but I do not know if it works.
    Realistically, no. In fact the "Gersen Method" (which includes a lot of coffee enemas) can do more harm than good.

Second, I have read about this IPT therapy which is kind of chemiotherapy but with less side effects.
    No, it's a complementary treatment used WITH chemo which supposedly helps it work better. Unfortunately, it's unproven to do anything. More info here:

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/her...iation-therapy

Third, I have read that a possible solution for cholangiocarcinoma is liver transplant from a living donor and I could give up to 70 percent of my liver to my mother to save her. Does anybody know any hospital in Europe which can do this?
    Sorry, I don't. But that is not what is generally referred to as "alternative" treatment, FYI. It is true that the liver regenerates so it might be possible that this could be an option to try.

Finally, has anybody tried any alternative treatment that has worked?
    I'm sorry but even if someone comes along here and says "yes this or that worked," you have no way of knowing if they're sincere or are saying that just to try and get you to try something they make money off of.

I'm so sorry for what you're dealing with. My suggestion would be to not just assume the doctors who said it's hopeless are correct. GET A SECOND OPINION. Maybe even a third. It might be treatable with surgery, chemo and/or radiation.

Then and only then, if you have definitely exhausted all proven methods to help her, I don't blame you for reaching for something else...I'm just saying be very careful about "alternative" methods. Extremely few have been proven to do much of anything, despite many wild claims.

PS this appears to be a good general site with general info about this cancer:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001336/

I wish you and her the very best!
    Last edited by Joe7; 01-08-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Experienced User
    Dear Mar
    I can only imagine how frightened and helpless you must be feeling because of the prognosis your mother has been given.
    I understand this forum does not believe in or approve of alternative cancer treatment protocols but I hope in this dire situation they will allow my message. My medical doctor recommends curcumin as part of the alternative protocols he uses when treating his cancer patients. Please do a search..... using the words PubMed and then put the words Cholangiocarcinoma/curcumin in the PubMed search box. Curcumin / Tumeric are spices and are available in capsule form at most pharmacies and health food stores. When this was recommended to me in 2004 as part of my treatment for non Hodgkin's I have done a good deal of research on it's efficacy. If you would like to have links to the research I have done, please send me a private message.
    List of trials http://www.science.gov/scigov/result...7C_%7CRANK%7C0
    Stay hopeful.....

Top User
    Curcumin has shown some effectiveness in trials and labs. It is clearly no cure-all, but worth trying. No harm can come of it that I have ever read about at least.

Newbie Regular User
    I agree trying healing foods
    As well as standard treatment
    I believe on Turmic and ginger and onions
    Garlic and dandelion weed tea
    You gotta eat anyway
    I make a curry beef with tons of vegetables
    And have it three times a week
    Cinnomin twice a day
    Broccoli
    Less meatarianism (Meat only three times a week )
    Use the spice rack every meal
    Drink and eat dandelions And all vegetables
    No white flour
    The whiter the flour the sooner your dead

Still your case sounds like its a mechanical problem
    And needs a mechanical fix (surgery )

+ Reply to Thread