A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Hospice right for my mom?

Regular User

Is Hospice right for my mom?

I know there is nothing the doctors can do for my mom or so they say. So do I just let these Hospice people come in and drug her up with so much morphine that she doesnt know who she is? She wasnt in alot of pain on her meds why are they changing them? I dont understand does anyone have any advice or thoughts on this matter? I want to do the right thing.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Staciconfused:57 year old mom had right adrenal tumor, post adrenalectomy 10/2010. Metastic large cell carcinoma consistent with poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma of the lung

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Staci, No, your Mom should never be drugged beyond what she needs to keep her comfortable. It sometimes takes a bit to get the proper dosage right. Make sure you let them know how you feel. They should reduce the dosage until she is more alert. My Dad was on liquid morphine for his cough and shortness of breath. Morphine is pretty good at managing all of those symptoms including pain. I got pretty good at playing with the dosage so that he was alert enough to attend doctor's appointments, visit with family and sit out in the yard enjoying watching the birds at the birdfeeder. I then increased the dosage at night a little higher as his anxiety and shortness of breath as well as the coughing was worse at night. The increased dosage helped him sleep at night so he was more alert the next day. He really hated sleeping through what little life he had left. If your Mom is not able to express her needs to hospice, you need to be her advocate. I know you don't want to see your Mom in pain but there has to be some middle ground where she is kept pain free but not incoherant. Keep us posted Staci and stay strong. God Bless.
    Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Newbie New User
    Hi staci:

Sorry to hear about your mom. My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer 14 months ago & given 1 year to live. She wants to stay home and my step father has agreed. He just turned 98 and is healthy but can not keep up with my moms readers. She started full time hospice care tonight!

I agree with Irish that you need to communicate your concerns with the hospice personal. They can tinker around with the meds and make a poor situation better. You and your mom are in my prayers.

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Plecomanrl, Welcome to our Forum, Sorry to hear about you Mom. It's amazing that your step Dad is still able to care for her at home at 98! You will find that hospice will be a huge help to him and your Mom. We would love to support you through this but I don't want to hijack Staci's thread. Perhaps you could start you own thread and tell us a little about you Mom's journey with lung cancer. You'll find a very caring bunch of people here to help you through this. God Bless.
    Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Regular User
    Hello Staci,
    My Mama started Hospice last Wed. and they are truly a caring group of people. They will abide by what you want. My mother has lung cancer and is home. She (so far) is taking only Tylenol for her back pain. Hospice delivered a bag of medicine for just in case. Mama was restless so they told us to give her a 1/2 of Ativan (an antidepressant) that way she wouldn't be so snowed under and incoherent. Express your concerns to Hospice they will listen. And remember they are there for your mothers comfort. I will keep you in my prayers and ask that you do the same.

+ Reply to Thread