A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jevtana

Newbie New User

Jevtana

Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone has been treated with taxotere and then with jevtana
    Looking to hearing about results and side effects with the jevtana
    any advise would be helpful.
    Have a blessed day

Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillie View Post
    Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone has been treated with taxotere and then with jevtana
    Looking to hearing about results and side effects with the jevtana
    any advise would be helpful.
    Have a blessed day
    No one answer your post so let me give it a try. I assumed your doctor was already or was proposing to put you on Taxotere and Jevtana and that was why you asked?

I do not have any experience with Jevtana so I have no personal experience to share. However, in "preparing for the worst and hope for the best" I have been reading up on some of the new treatment options to treat BCR (biochemical recurrence) and metastasized prostate cancer and here is what I found:

Taxotere and Jevtana are two chemo drugs under a class of drugs called microtubule inhibitors which cause cell death by inhibiting cell functions especially when they divide (fast growing cancer cells). (My wife's breast cancer chemo soup contained Taxotere as one of the ingredients. It certainly was not a walk in the park for her, in fact she had a rough time.) Jevtana was recently approved by the FDA after a successful Phase III clinical trial. I believe it acts on a different pathway as microtubule inhibitor than Taxotere so patients that failed Taxotere often got positive result from Jevtana. However, the toxicity of this new drug is quite high so those who takes it requires careful monitoring. Side effects are mainly myelosuppression (the reduce ability of the bone marrow to produce blood cells), anemia, diarrhea and cardiac problems.

Best wishes.

Newbie New User

Thank you for your input

Quote Originally Posted by newporter View Post
    No one answer your post so let me give it a try. I assumed your doctor was already or was proposing to put you on Taxotere and Jevtana and that was why you asked?

I do not have any experience with Jevtana so I have no personal experience to share. However, in "preparing for the worst and hope for the best" I have been reading up on some of the new treatment options to treat BCR (biochemical recurrence) and metastasized prostate cancer and here is what I found:

Taxotere and Jevtana are two chemo drugs under a class of drugs called microtubule inhibitors which cause cell death by inhibiting cell functions especially when they divide (fast growing cancer cells). (My wife's breast cancer chemo soup contained Taxotere as one of the ingredients. It certainly was not a walk in the park for her, in fact she had a rough time.) Jevtana was recently approved by the FDA after a successful Phase III clinical trial. I believe it acts on a different pathway as microtubule inhibitor than Taxotere so patients that failed Taxotere often got positive result from Jevtana. However, the toxicity of this new drug is quite high so those who takes it requires careful monitoring. Side effects are mainly myelosuppression (the reduce ability of the bone marrow to produce blood cells), anemia, diarrhea and cardiac problems.

Best wishes.
    I was asking for my Dad hes 83 years old he was on the taxotere until it started causing neuropathy in his feet so he was on a drug holiday since
    oct the psa is increasing and the bone scan shows new lesions so he will
    start the Jevtana tomorrow I guess we just have to hope for the best
    hes an active 83 yr old and just hates feeling so bad.
    have a blessed day

Top User
    Tillie,

I am very interested in finding out how effective is Jevtana, perhaps you can give us periodic update and share your experience? This could help those who come after us.

Best of luck to your Dad.

Newbie New User

Jevtana???

Hi;
    Just also wondering if anyone has been on jevtana. How it worked for them, and what the side effects were. We can
    not seem to find anyone who has experience with this drug. Thanks so much.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by stenberg12 View Post
    Hi;
    Just also wondering if anyone has been on jevtana. How it worked for them, and what the side effects were. We can
    not seem to find anyone who has experience with this drug. Thanks so much.
    Has anyone been on Jevtana?

Top User
    Has anyone been on Jevtana?
    Tillie and stenberg12,

If you go to the Advanced Search box on this website and type in Jevtana, you should be able to see a few threads on this subject. You could then try PM the posters to see if they will give you a reply or update.

By the way, there were reports that it worked better than Taxotere.

Good luck.

Newbie New User

jevtana

[QUOTE=newporter;122264]Tillie and stenberg12,

If you go to the Advanced Search box on this website and type in Jevtana, you should be able to see a few threads on this subject. You could then try PM the posters to see if they will give you a reply or update.

By the way, there were reports that it worked better than Taxotere.

Good luck.
    Newporter;
    Thanks for the response. My Dad just had his first treatment last Friday. He is not feeling well. His psa is over 2000. We're lucky we still have him. Still can't find much on this new chemo- jevtana. Hoping it works. I'm new to this so I did'nt understand the PM or posters you suggested. Thanks for the help.

Top User
    Thanks for the response. My Dad just had his first treatment last Friday. He is not feeling well. His psa is over 2000. We're lucky we still have him. Still can't find much on this new chemo- jevtana. Hoping it works. I'm new to this so I did'nt understand the PM or posters you suggested. Thanks for the help.
    stenberg12,

I found a thread as one of the threads discussing Jevtana. I restart the thread, you can go there, read it and click on the posters' names to send him/her/them a PM (private message) and see if they will answer you.

Good luck and hope you will find the answer you are looking for.

Newbie New User
    Husband had been on Taxotere with good results x 3 or 4 administrations, then stopped working. Abiratirone did not work on him. Jevtana has been very effective, still works after 4 administrations. However..... the side effects can be very severe, at least in his case. He has had severe neutropenia despite getting the injection to 'prevent' that from happening (Neulasta). He has also had severe gastrointestinal symptoms, including an inflammation of the entire GI tract (mucositis), and then some unexpected GI bleeding (possibly related). Severe reaction on 2 of the 4 administrations, mild on the middle two administrations. His doctor is planning to give him jevtana in another month at 1/3 the regular dose to see if this prevents the side effects. We are also awaiting the 2 newer drugs that are on a fast track at the FDA. So, to answer: Jevtana has worked well, the first time amazingly well in decreasing the PSA. But watch out for the side effects. Probably not enough experience with the drug yet to know if this is going to be frequent, or his is an unusual case.

Top User
    des,

I am very happy to know Jevtana works for your husband. It is good to know and thank you for sharing.

Best wishes.

Newbie New User

Jevtana

Quote Originally Posted by des View Post
    Husband had been on Taxotere with good results x 3 or 4 administrations, then stopped working. Abiratirone did not work on him. Jevtana has been very effective, still works after 4 administrations. However..... the side effects can be very severe, at least in his case. He has had severe neutropenia despite getting the injection to 'prevent' that from happening (Neulasta). He has also had severe gastrointestinal symptoms, including an inflammation of the entire GI tract (mucositis), and then some unexpected GI bleeding (possibly related). Severe reaction on 2 of the 4 administrations, mild on the middle two administrations. His doctor is planning to give him jevtana in another month at 1/3 the regular dose to see if this prevents the side effects. We are also awaiting the 2 newer drugs that are on a fast track at the FDA. So, to answer: Jevtana has worked well, the first time amazingly well in decreasing the PSA. But watch out for the side effects. Probably not enough experience with the drug yet to know if this is going to be frequent, or his is an unusual case.
    Deb
    Great info. Thanks for sharing!! What are the two newer drugs? Do you have the names? Thanks have a great day

Newbie New User
    Deb
    Great info. Thanks for sharing!! What are the two newer drugs? Do you have the names? Thanks have a great day
    The two newer drugs are just becoming available. They are on a fast track at the FDA since they both work well, but still not approved. However, the first one is now becoming available in clinical trials for those who fit the criteria (at least 2 bone metastaseshemoglobin over 10, no liver metastases, and some bone pain needing tylenol or other pain medication, failed taxotere, and some others). They are not giving placebo to some anymore, they just give the drug. Some centers will be doing this very soon. It is called alpharadin and has few side effects. The other one is a new king of oral hormone that works well also, don't know if that is being given before FDA approval, but also seems quite effective. It is called MDV3100.

Hi guys,
    My father just started this month Jevtana after a period on Taxotere which did not play out as expected. In the beginning he was doing ok but as the drug started to kick in he had a very rough ride. Eventually he had to stop taking it and switched to Jevtana. From my reading online it seems the side-effects should be similar to docetaxel, only more pronounced and at an earlier stage. I will update you on how things develop...
    Caregiver to my father suffering from advanced metastatic prostate cancer. Metastases in spine and pelvis. His treatment plan has gone from injections and hormone therapy to radiotherapy and chemotherapy with docetaxel; following ineffectiveness of the latter dad is currently undergoing a treatment with cabazitaxel. Every six to eight months or so the disease rears its ugly head developing immunity to the drugs administered.

+ Reply to Thread