A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chances of having prostate cancer?

Newbie New User

Chances of having prostate cancer?

Guys,

I recently had a doctors visit due to blood in my semen (which went away), discomfort down below, slight pain during ejaculation and a little pain in one of my thighs. While I was there I got a blood test to check my psa levels and had a DRE done. The doctor said he did feel a bump on the right side of my prostate but said he couldn't really determine what it is until I have a prostate biopsy performed. It is scheduled for Thursday afternoon. I guess my question to everyone here is what do you think the chances are that I may have prostate cancer? I just turned 38 in October and my father did have prostate cancer when he was 57. He elected for surgery and has been well since. What are the odds that someone in their late 30's would be diagnosed with prostate cancer? Could these symptoms be related to any other issue?

Thanks!

DRE alone

I think you have a significant chance of having a positive biopsy, but it's not a guarantee. I think I've read that the DRE alone is somewhat less than 50% specific for cancer--meaning it's very possible to have a positive DRE and not have cancer. The combination of DRE and PSA will be more telling, and the biopsy, of course is the most important source of information you will have in the near future.

Hopefully the blood in the semen and leg pain have nothing to do with cancer--regardless of whether or not you have cancer. As you probably know by now, by the time prostate cancer causes overt symptoms, it's usually advanced. But blood in the semen can be caused by benign ailments like prostatitis.

You are statistically very young to have cancer--less than 1% of prostate cancer patients are diagnosed before they're 45. But it does happen (I was 43).

Please keep us informed here, and best wishes.
    Replicant

Dx Feb 2006, PSA 9 @age 43
    RRP Apr 2006 - Gleason 3+4, T2c, NXMX, pos margins
    PSA 5/06 <0.1, 8/06 0.2, 12/06 0.6, 1/07 0.7.
    Salvage radiation (IMRT) total dose 70.2 Gy, Jan-Mar 2007@ age 44
    PSA 6/07 0.1, 9/07 (and thereafter) <0.1
    http://pcabefore50.blogspot.com

Top User
    Did your doctor test your PSA and give you antibiotics to rule out BPH and Prostatitis?

It is very rare to have prostate cancer for someone younger than 40 years old. The odds are ~ 1 per 100,000 (twice if you are black) according to the US National Cancer Institute's statistics. The odds are higher if you are between 40 and 45, about 10 per 100,000. That said, if you have symptoms (DRE positive, blood, slight pain, etc.) then it is best to rule out cancer by doing a biopsy. However, all the symptoms including a positive DRE could be due to something else - Prostatitis. Most of the time, doctors would put patients on a course of antibiotics to rule out prostatitis before getting patients to do a biopsy. However, since you have a family history of prostate cancer, if I were you, I would go for a biopsy and even if negative, watch things carefully from now on since prostate cancer tends to run in the family.

Good luck.

Newbie New User
    Well I got my PSA results back this morning and they were .50. The nurse said they wanted to see levels below 2.25. The doctor did not give me antibiotics first which I thought would be the natural course. I have a biopsy scheduled for Thursday afternoon. Maybe he'll put me on antibiotics for Prostatitis if things come back ok.

Top User
    With a PSA of 0.50, this gets kind of tricky...SOMETHING is causing you discomfort but it's probably NOT Prostate Cancer...Have they 'scoped your bladder?
    PSA at age 55: 3.5, DRE negative.
    65: 8.5, DRE " normal", biopsy, 12 core, negative...
    66 9.0 DRE "normal", BPH, (Proscar)
    67 4.5 DRE "normal" second biopsy, negative.
    67.5 5.6, DRE "normal" U-doc worried..
    age 68, 7.0, third biopsy (June 2010) positive for cancer in 4 cores, 2 cores Gleason 6, one core Gleason 7. one core Gleason 9. RALP on Sept. 3, 2010, Positive margin, post-op PSA. 0.9, SRT , HT. Feb.2011 PSA <0.1 Oct 2011 <0.1 Feb 2012 <0.01 Sept 2012 0.8 June 2013 1.1, Casodex added, PSA 0.04 10/2013. PSA 0.32 1/14. On 6/14 PSA 0.4, "T"-5. 10/14 PSA 0.6, T-11

Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwind View Post
    With a PSA of 0.50, this gets kind of tricky...SOMETHING is causing you discomfort but it's probably NOT Prostate Cancer...Have they 'scoped your bladder?
    Excellent point. 16 years ago, brother in law had blood in urine, normal PSA, cystoscope revealed early stage bladder cancer. He was lucky as he caught it early.
    PCa Dx at 65. PSA 2.5 in 2000, 8.4 in 6/09. Three negative biopsies in between. 6/10 PSA 10.7, biopsy 1 of 12 cores 5% cancer, Gleason 3+3
    CT, bone scans & MRI all negative
    Da Vinci 8/10; nerve sparing, catheter out in 7 days; no incontinence, no ED
    Post Op Pathology pT2N0Mx: organ confined; negative margins; lymph nodes & seminal vesicle not involved but PNI present; cancer extensive within prostate, multifocal G 3+3 and tertiary G 4+
    9/10, 12/10, 3/11, 6/11, 6/12, 6/13, 12/13 PSA <.1

Newbie New User
    Well I had my biopsy today and I'm glad itís over, but the pain associated with it wasnít nearly what I expected. The anxiety leading up to the test was much more intense than the actual test. I didnít sleep at all last night. It started with an enema three hours prior to the procedure, but there was nothing left in the tank due to it churning all morning. I took one tablet of Valium and one tablet of Cipro one hour before the test as well. Once I got into the room a blood pressure reading was taken, followed by a DRE and urine sample for PCA3 testing (what is that?). After that I received a shot of antibiotics from the nurse in my rear and then the Urologist sent the probe up to snap a couple pictures of my prostate. After that he numbed my prostate and took 12 samples. The probing, numbing and sample taken was probably 6-7 minutes long and it was all done without taking the probe out. I couldnít believe how short the process was and when he numbed my prostate I didnít even feel it. I didnít experience any real pain during the samples. I've seen a few posts about how it feels like a rubber band hitting your prostate lightly or if you would flick your own finger. Thatís how I would describe my experience. Some I felt a little more and others I didnít feel at all, but overall it was minimal. Now we wait 10-14 days to get the results back.

Top User
    I hope you don't have to join our club.

By the way, PCA3 is a urine test that supposedly can detect prostate cancer gene 3 (PCA3) in the urine.

Regular User
    I really look forward to seeing your next post where you tell us that you are NOT going to be joining this club that NO ONE wants to join...I usually get very good advice and input from newporter .

Newbie New User
    Well I got my results back this afternoon and they were negative. Not a trace of cancer found. From here on out its a psa test once a year for me. I will continue to focus on my health by eating well and exercising. Thanks for all the great information and support from everyone on here and I wish you all the best of luck.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dadfrommd View Post
    Well I got my results back this afternoon and they were negative. Not a trace of cancer found. From here on out its a psa test once a year for me. I will continue to focus on my health by eating well and exercising. Thanks for all the great information and support from everyone on here and I wish you all the best of luck.

Thanks again.
    I like to read something positive before turning in, and that fits the bill. Very good news! You are not allowed to join our club so goodbye! (and take care.)
    Replicant

Dx Feb 2006, PSA 9 @age 43
    RRP Apr 2006 - Gleason 3+4, T2c, NXMX, pos margins
    PSA 5/06 <0.1, 8/06 0.2, 12/06 0.6, 1/07 0.7.
    Salvage radiation (IMRT) total dose 70.2 Gy, Jan-Mar 2007@ age 44
    PSA 6/07 0.1, 9/07 (and thereafter) <0.1
    http://pcabefore50.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread