A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
Closed Thread

Thread: Alcohol induced pain with Lymphoma

Newbie New User

Alcohol induced pain with Lymphoma

Hi everyone! I'd like to start of by saying I AM NOT HERE FOR A DIAGNOSIS. I have a valid and specific question related to Lymphoma that I can't seem to find an answer to, even after chatting for an HOUR with a representative from the National Cancer Society. Please do not insult my intelligence by telling me you are not doctors, and that I need to go see one. I came here because it seems if anyone will know the answer to question about Lymphoma, it's you all, and the amazing support you display to complete strangers has given me hope for a better answer than "just go get tested."

Now that that's out of the way, here is my question:

Can you find (or have you heard of) any other diseases or disorders that cause pain and major swelling in specific lymph nodes after ingesting alcohol? Please note: I did not ask about other disorders which cause swelling in the lymph nodes in general- I need it to be specifically related to alcohol ingestion.

I have reason to believe this is a symptom only present in Lymphoma patients, and I will post links to those findings.

I'm sorry if this came off as rude, but you cannot imagine the amount of rudeness I have experienced just trying to get an answer to this question. I am a rational person, I am not coming on this forum to ask for a diagnosis or a pity party, and I didn't just go read a wiki page or web md and decide I might have cancer. I know you have to deal with those people a lot, but I assure you I am not one of them.

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by kylieoverbey; 01-25-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: I posted two links but I did not realize I wasn't supposed to because I'm new! Sorry!

Hodgkins lymphoma has been known to do this. As to other diseases I have no idea.
    Trying to diagnose yourself by google is not a good idea.
    Your concerns should be looked at by a doctor.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User
    Thank you for your reply, but I'm not sure how much clearer I could have made it that I am already aware that is is a symptom of Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and I am not looking for a diagnosis here, nor did I give any indication that I'm even asking this question in relation to my own symptoms. Let's think of it this way: I'm a student, I am writing a paper, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other causes of alcohol-induced pain in the lymph nodes, besides Hodgkin's Lymphoma. No, this is not entirely true, but it seems to be the only thing that is going to get people to understand that I am not panicking, I have not diagnosed myself with anything, I'm just researching.

This forum is for cancer patients and their carers. Not for someone to use them to research on. Why would a bunch of cancer patients know of other diseases with this?
    Research elsewhere please.
    Aussie, age 57

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

Newbie New User
    A bunch of cancer patients would know the answer to this because I have read countless threads on here about doctors ignoring patients and telling them it was everything else in the book besides Lymphoma. I'm not using anyone, and if someone doesn't want to respond they don't have to. But, if someone who is on this forum experienced this rare symptom, (which I have seen that some have), I want to know if and what else the doctor related it to before the diagnosis. I'm not sure why this is a big deal. I'm not hurting anyone, and a person who has already been through it could answer this without "diagnosing" me. I am not going to waste anyone's time explaining all of my symptoms because like I've been told a million times now, that's my doctor's job, and I'm working on that. That's not why I'm here. I'm sorry for thinking a Lymphoma forum with actual patients was a bad place to ask a very specific question in regards to the disease. I could understand you being upset about me posting "I'm so scared I have swollen lymph nodes what do I do what if I have cancer?!"... But I didn't. I agree that is distasteful, and you can easily find what every person is going to tell you by simply searching through the forums. I understand your frustration with non-diagnosed posts, but I would like to know what is wrong with this one, especially since there is nothing in the forum that poses this question, and I am probably not the only person who may find this question helpful. You may even have less panic posts if someone sees they can relate their symptom to a different cause, so it benefits the forum, not just those who come to it for answers.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

Adenocarcinoma of the bronchus is associated with alcohol induced pain. I found that in 3 minutes using "alcohol induced pain " as a search term. Try it out yourself and good luck

Cheers
    Age 57
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Newbie New User
    Finally! Thank you so much. The only problem is it has to be lymph node pain, not just general pain. And not all of the lymph nodes, just specific ones (which would obviously be different for each patient) but in this instance, in reference to the groin. Your suggestion did help me stumble upon another journal article that may hold my answer though, so thanks again!

Hi kylie. I am afraid that we are really not in a position to be of much help with your question. As a forum that exists to support cancer patients, their families and their caregivers, the only medical information we are focused on is specifically related to cancer of all types. You are correct that we often answer questions with the advice to visit your doctor, that is because that is the best advice we could give to that person at that time. We are not medical professionals and it would be irresponsible of us were we to provide diagnostic advice.

That said, your post and the PM you sent me bring up a question which is: have you seen a doctor for this issue? If not, you should and you should be as persistent as you have been here. If you have seen a doc and are not satisfied with his/her findings, you should see another. I know you have seen that advice in many threads on this forum and that is because it is both appropriate and valid.

I hope you find your answers and, which I hope is not the case, it turns out to be lymphoma or some other cancer you will be welcomed here with open arms. In the meantime, until you have the answers you seek, I am not sure we can be of much additional assistance. Be insistent but be insistent with the medical community as they are the ones who can provide answers.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Super Moderator Top User Hope2012's Avatar
    A common reason for lymph nodes to swell is from allergic reactions. Histimine introduced into the system will cause them to become inflamed. You didn't mention what kind of alcohol...but there are many components of beer that one could develop an allergy to. I did find a few articles on allergies to barley and hops that could explain it. Shot in the dark, but I suppose it's a possibility.
    This dark night shall end and the sun will rise again...
    Believe

- Dad diagnosed in 1992 with primary bladder cancer
    - bladder removed and new one made from resected intestine
    - chemotherapy regimen started
    - mets to large intestines discovered in 1993...more chemo...tumors disappearing
    - complained of neck pain Dec 1994. Mets to brainstem confirmed
    - passed away Feb 24, 1995

Newbie New User
    It's with any type of alcohol. So far I've tried it with two different liquors and wine. I thought the same thing, but maybe I was allergic to alcohol? Well, alcohol intolerance causes a whole different set of symptoms, and I don't have any of them. And lymph node pain and swelling isn't one of them either. I don't have health insurance, so I was trying to do as much research as I could to see if it was urgent I get to a doctor soon, or wait until I am covered under my husband's insurance.

Regular User
    I have noticed your threads and I think that everyone here has been as accomidating as they can be. I hope that this does not come of as rude.. But you have come off very rude yourself.. you came into the forum already attacking those in it.... I have a son that I had questions on and they had been very helpful. With no diagnosis... I can tell you that for many many years I have had alcohol induced pain ... swollen lymph nodes in the neck and groin ( which i had a needle biopsy int he neck - neg) and I just stopped drinking alcohol. I work at a hospital .. with doctors everyday.. Sometimes your body does things that cant be explained. If you had something to worry about you would have more then alcohol related symptoms... if its just that symptom your worried about.. stop drinking.. as I have.

Super Moderator Top User Hope2012's Avatar
    Alchohol intolerance and allergy are different things. Intolerance is because the body, through genetic reasons, lacks the enzymes to break down alchohol. People are usually allergic to something within the mixture...in beer its hops or barley...in others it could be the fruit etc. I suppose if you want to be comprehensive, you can have an allergy test and ask them to concentrate on food. I had chronic sinusitis for 18 months in the past that presented with lymph node swelling in my neck and other symptoms...and as it turned out, I had an allergy to certain types of trees...the worst reaction was to birch trees...and guess what? I had 3 HUGE birch trees in my back yard.
    This dark night shall end and the sun will rise again...
    Believe

- Dad diagnosed in 1992 with primary bladder cancer
    - bladder removed and new one made from resected intestine
    - chemotherapy regimen started
    - mets to large intestines discovered in 1993...more chemo...tumors disappearing
    - complained of neck pain Dec 1994. Mets to brainstem confirmed
    - passed away Feb 24, 1995

As I said before, googling symptoms and trying to self diagnose if you have problem or worrying symptoms is NOT the way to go.
    Bottom line..see a doctor if you are worried or don't and do it when the insurance comes in. You are the one who knows your own body.
    No one here can say yes see a Doc or no. don't. It would be very irresponsible of us to do so. We say the same to anyone who comes here undiagnosed and wondering about symptoms..if they warrant checking out or not.

You have gone from saying you are researching as a student for a paper you are writing to admitting you are trying to get answers for the alcohol related pain with lymph nodes for yourself.

There is nothing further we can do to help you here until and if you get a cancer diagnosis and then we will be here for you.
    Good luck with what you decide to do.
    Last edited by Didee; 01-27-2012 at 03:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    Aussie, age 57

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.

CancerForums User Policy

Closing this thread as we can be of no more help to the OP.
    Aussie, age 57

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.

CancerForums User Policy

Closed Thread