A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deodorant usage durning chemo

Deodorant usage durning chemo

Hi, I'm new here.
    my name is Dafna, i'm 22 years old and I've diagnosed with hodgkin's lymphoma nodular sclerosis back in November. I had a 10cm lump in my chest. also, after the PET CT, besides the lump in the chest, they found another tiny one (which was ignored) in my right arm pit.
    I've already had 4 treatments - ABVD.

since I started the treatment, I've decreased the usage of deodorant, just because I didn't go out of the house so much, I didn't think at all about the fact that this could be dangerous or something. after all the doctor didn't say I must discontinue using deodorant(before starting treatments). but few days ago, after I finished bathing, I put on the right arm pit the deodorant stick, and it really hurt, just by putting it. I didn't push or something. since I've never had this pain before, and having the knowledge I have a tiny thing there, I panicked a little.
    I told this to the doctor, so he gave an explanation, but didn't say to stop using deodorant.

so anyway, do you think it's dangerous using deodorant during chemo?

thanks in advance

Hi Dafna nd welcome to the Forums though I am sorry you had to find your way here. I don't think there is a danger in using deoderant (at least I've never seen a reference to it). If you are concerned you could consider switching to a no dye, no scent, hypoallergenic type of deoderant if you aren't alreaky using one. I am sure that there are many choices and know that Almay markets one like that here in the States.

Good luck with the rest of your treatments and feel free to post your story as you go along.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites
    Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2013 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

Very grateful and will await the next chapter with confidence...may it never come.

Remember the Rules!

thank you for the quick response

Senior User
    The deodorant causing cancer story makes it's rounds every so often, it has been debunked

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...se-cancer.html
    Chicago 54 years old
    LPL/Waldenstroms indolent nhl, dix Friday the 13th 5/13/11
    R-CVP, 5/23/11 6 cycles, 12/20/11 PR, w&w for now

+ Reply to Thread