This is my first time posting on a forum. My husband, age 54 was diagnosed in July 2009 with Stage IV colon cancer, 95% obstruction. Had surgery, removed tumor and part of colon, 9 days later emergency surgery to repair leakage and came out with a temporary colostomy. After 3 weeks, stoma died and become recessed. Had to reverse colostomy and get illeostomy for 3 weeks. Has had metastis in liver and lungs since diagnosis. In Novemeber 2011 oncologist referred us to clinical trials because of new growth despite last effort treatment. He had a very bad reaction to the 3rd treatment in trial and had to be removed. Now docotrs say either try another trial, after waiting 30 days to clear system or need to call in hospice. We are so confused as what to do. One of his major complaints is excessive sweating even though he has some nasuea, abdominal pain due to massive hernia from surgeries and fatigue. Does anyone have any suggestions about anything, esecially sweating?
Hi casmith sorry your husband had reaction in clinical trial. Sounds feasible to let body rest a month. Are there more clinical trials he s able to get into? The sweating? I don't know, it could be due to any number of things, someone else will be able to give more insight. Praying for you both, sharon
casimith- sounds to me it may be the hernia causing the seating symptoms- sometimes it presses on the part of the body that controls sweating reflex response. Id think once the hernia is dealt with the sweating would lessen. Im assuming the doctors feel that it may be of minor concern compared to trying to treat the cancer. If they are suggesting to try another clinical trial they may have something that could extend his time. mom had to be taken off them several times due to reactions-they would try something eles untill they found something that would work.
they really cant say how anyone is going to react individually -thats a very difficult decision. Im sorry the two of you are going through all this. If your doctor cannot come up with any more trials you could seek out another opinion sometimes oncologist have different methods of approach.
If your husband doesnt want to give up yet I would definately search for another doctor.
we cant suggest specific because only the oncologist would know which treatments can be tried with his particular situation.
sorry I cant be of any more help but Ill keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
starting a regimine of celebrex
aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
scan results fracture in spine mid back
sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.
Sorry to hear of your husbands condition.
I can't add anything more than has been said, however I would stress that unless your husband does not wish to be involved in possible trials then push his oncologist for suggestions as to what if any trials are available.
Definitely if you both have concerns. Then a call to one of the leading cancer specialist centres may be worth a try as they may have information that your current husbands oncologist may not have access to.
My best wishes to you both
Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
Radical resection April 011
Restaged 2b April 011.
12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
PET scan indicates clear
DEXA bone scan clear
13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
October -still the same pains but under semi control.
Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
Sinus surgery done and dusted.
July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20.
Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+3.
Active surveillance for time being.
Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.