A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 29 YR Old Recent Kidney Cancer Diagnosis/Survivor :)

Newbie New User

Red face 29 YR Old Recent Kidney Cancer Diagnosis/Survivor :)

Hello,

I am 29 yrs old female and in December I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. On 1/13/2012 I had a partial Nephrectomy of my left Kidney. Along with part of my Kidney, 1 rib was removed. My recovery has been okay, I get feverish feeling, and sick to my stomach, and of course I am hurting but I am heeling well. When I went to have my follow up, and staples removed the doctor told me that I had stage 1, grade 2, chromophobe, kidney cancer. The doctor was confident that all of the cancer was removed, and I will return in 6 months after having a chest x-ray and CT scan. I have so many emotions going through my head I am happy to be here, and so afraid that it will return!! I have read comments about kidney cancer that state it rarely returns and comments that state it returns much later. Also, I was told it is rare to have kidney cancer at my age, so I am just very concerned!! Amy input/advise would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

Hi Survivor and welcome to the Cancer Forums though I am sorry you had to find your way here. I know very little about the cancer you were treated for so will try to do some research to become better informed before commenting on it. I will say that Stage 1 is about as good as it gets with any kind of cancer so your doctor is probably spot on in what he is telling you. The next six months can be hard because of the "what if" games your mind will play with you but I am hoping that your CT in July will be negative and you can go on with your life from there. It certainly sounds like you have a very good chance of having that happen! Good luck and please feel free to hang around here, post questions, vent or support others. We are all in this together and are here to help.

Good health,

kermica

p.s. I removed your duplicate post on the general Cancer Forum. It is easier for you to have one thread to follow than two duplicates with the same information in them, I hope you don't mind!
    Last edited by Kermica; 02-07-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added postscript
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Newbie New User
    Thank you for your response! I am sorry for posting it so many times, but I did not see a forum for Kidney Cancer and I was nervous people would miss mine. As far as cancers go i think i got a fairly easy one, considering it was stage 1. It is the what if game that is killing me, so I appreciate your words of advise and anything you learn would be greatly appreciated.

You are very welcome, its why we are here. Regarding the what ifs, the best advice I can give is what we hand out on the Lymphoma Board...stay away from Dr. Google, you pay his bill with tension and worry. Do spend time doing the things that you enjoy in life, whatever they may be. First, of course, complete your recovery from surgery, then go climb mountains if that is what you like...or jump out of airplanes...or cuddle with your honey...or watch paint dry. Whatever makes you happy is what you should be doing.

After I was diagnosed and had come to accept that mine is incurable by current means (but it is a slow grower so I have the luxury of time for the researchers to get it together) I figured out that, for me, the most important thing is to be able to get out of bed in the morning, look at myself in the mirror and answer "yes" to the question "am I doing what is most important to me today?". The what ifs pretty much leave me alone now...

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Newbie New User
    I know its hard , what I can say is your feelings are valid. Dont read the Web looking for answer. To many variables. I had Stage two Kidney Cancer so I had a Partial Neherectomy of my left Kidney. I took sixs week to heal and go back to work it was a painful surgery. How should you you look at your next CT , with your Head held High. Its been 3.6 years since my cancer was removed. Your the first I have talked to about this so forgive me. We cant control who gets it or will it return
    time will heal you though . Your chances are very low for return, My Mayo Dr say my return of of cancer is very Low also.
    Jut one bit of advice (Im a Husker Fan of the Tom Osborne ERA) Dont get to High and dont you dare go to low with your feelings.Try to stay even with you feeling . I was pretty emotional after the surgery you will have so much compasion for many thing. I guess Im saying I cried when a save the dog commericial came on understable. But in time it will get better.
    God Bless You and Keep You

Newbie New User
    Hey!! I just sent you a private message, but I too am a young kidney cancer survivor!! Not many of us out there. From the sounds of your post, they caught it pretty early on. That's a very good sign. While no cancer is "easy" or "good", the outlook seems to be pretty good for you, from what little information I can gather. Please, ask me any questions you may have!!

+ Reply to Thread