A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gurgling in lung

Regular User

Gurgling in lung

Before my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer she developed a gurgling in her chest that finally went away until they did a ct needle biopsy a couple of days ago. She also feels like sometimes the cancer moves around in her chest-is the gurgling just the fluid? and can the cancer move around? On a funny note-her new kitten thinks she is his mother and sleeps on her chest. When she was getting the ct directed biopsy she said she wished she would just die on the table because it was so painful-is it usually that painful?

I can't help you with that certain type of biopsy, but when my boyfriend got his liver tumor biopsied he said it was the most painful thing he's ever had to do. This is coming from a guy who smashed the bones in two of his fingertips playing broomball, but drove his friends home and then realized that he probably had to go to the hospital.

As for the gurgling, my boyfriend has this weird crackling sound when he breathes sometimes. I can only hear it when he's sleeping next to me so its pretty faint, but it sounds like pop rocks crackling. Is that similar to what she's hearing?
    Boyfriend, 25, dx'ed Stage IV NSCLC 6/29/11. Malignant pleural effusion, liver/spine/lymph mets. Adenocarcinoma w/unknown primary! So confusing.

Jul '11: 2 cycles Carboplatin/Alimta (failed)
    Oct '11: Docetaxol/ramucirumab/Xgeva/Neulasta
    Dec '12: Liver met growth
    Jan '13: 10+ brain mets, 2 wks of WBR
    Mar '13: CDK 4/6 inhibitor trial (failed)
    May '13: Tested ROS1+
    June '13: Xalkori clinical trial for ROS1+
    Aug '13: Liver mets gone, lung spots gone. Doing great so far!
    Mar '14: Leptomeningeal progression. Ommaya reservoir put in for intrathecal methotrexate.
    May '14: Tolerating chemo, hoping for good news...

Blog: http://ros1positive.wordpress.com/

Regular User
    kind of but really loud though-like dragging cans on a bumpy street

Does she have a pleural effusion?
    Boyfriend, 25, dx'ed Stage IV NSCLC 6/29/11. Malignant pleural effusion, liver/spine/lymph mets. Adenocarcinoma w/unknown primary! So confusing.

Mar '14: Leptomeningeal progression. Ommaya reservoir put in for intrathecal methotrexate.

Sad daughters, I have no idea about the gurgling. Ask that question at cancer grace.org. I would like to know the answer for future reference.
    http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php

You could ask your doctor. I also do not know about that particular biopsy as to the pain. I don't gurgle but my cat likes to lay on my chest. I don't like it though. A Pulmonary Dr would also know the answer about the gurgle.

Emily, maybe you should get your boyfriend a kitten (grin). Not much to smile about in here
    Husband (year of birth 1941) dx'd 2008 NSCLC - Squamous Cell Carcinoma
    Chemo and Radiation Treatments together. Allergic reaction to Taxol & Taxotere.
    The Story 2008 to 1/2011: http://www.cancerforums.net/about9079.html

2010/2011: Returned & spread to lower lumbar bone/marrow. Stage 4.
    Chemo & Radiation together. Allergic reaction to Erbitux. Chemo was only Navelbine.
    The Story continues 2/2011: Story continues 2/2011: http://tinyurl.com/68qpmym

Hehe, he has two cats already! But they live with his parents at home. They are so friendly, gorgeous Siamese cats. Here is one, her name is Carly

*sorry for hijacking*
    Last edited by irish; 02-13-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: pictures not allowed

I suppose many factors could be involved, but my husband just had 2 CT guided needle biopsies, and he said neither hurt.
    Last edited by Spouse; 02-13-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Sad Daughter, I have never heard that tumors move around in the lung. My guess would be that she has some fluid build up in her lung as Emily suggested (pleural effusion). Check with the doctor as she may have to have it drained. My brother in law had a guided needle biopsy on his lung and said that he never felt anything more painful. I guess it depends on the patient and the doctor's skill in doing it. May also be a mucus build up which is also very common.
    Emily, sorry I had to remove Carly's picture (very cute by the way) as pictures are not allowed on the forum.
    Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

I have sometimes had a rattling, from mucus, so loud it wakes me up. I cough and go back to sleep. It hasn't been too troublesome so far. In fact I will lay in bed for a couple of hours after I wake up, dozing in and out because I am breathing so easy. a
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

Regular User
    she has had a couple of xrays and CT's but nothing shows up besides the cancer. We go to Moffitt Cancer ctr on Thursday I will ask them about the noise and let you all know.

Regular User
    Well md said she has no idea what the loud noise is-what? She is going to take out some fluid though.

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Sad daughter, hopefully when they remove the fluid the noise will stop..let us know if it works. When are they going to do it?
    Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Sad, Mine doesn't show up either. It's a watery compound. It's not a hard mass that will show up on any scan or xray. It comes with lung cancer. If you put your ear to my chest you can hear the fluid and my tumor is gone. That doesn't mean my lungs are totally healthy. They aren't. With all the treatment I have had my organs are not in good shape. Including my heart. It takes the wind out of me to carry a bag of trash 50 yards. Some days are better than others. a
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

+ Reply to Thread