A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cancer Centers of America???

Regular User

Cancer Centers of America???

Hi!! Has anyone had any experience with the Cancer Centers of America? I see the ads on TV all the time, where people claim that they had no hope of getting better until they went there... My friend has stage 4 rectal cancer, which has spread to his liver, stomach, lungs and 2 lymphnodes. He is on round 12 of chemo and so far the chemo has stopped the cancer from growing, but has not improved it. The hope is that he can live like this for another year, if it doesn't get worse. Scan is next week to determine what happens next. Just wondering if we are missing something... let me know if you've heard of anyone going there, or have any info... Thanks so much! Keep the Faith!!

Hi there kgc. Cancer Centers of America is simply a chain of for profit cancer treatment centers in the United States. I would not trust in or believe their advertisments as, like most, it is designed to bring you to them in order to generate revenue. I am not saying they are bad but this wikiedia article will provide some background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_...ers_of_America

I would think a good next step would be to contact an National Cancer Institute certified cancer center to have your friend assessed for additonal treatments or a clinical trial if he is so inclined. That, in my opinion, would present the highest likihood of extending life and ensuring that nothing is missed.

Good luck to you both, here is the link: http://cancercenters.cancer.gov/

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Top User
    Quite frankly I wouldn't get too tied up in the "for profit" or "non profit" labels and have heard some good things about these places. I wish we had at least checked into them further, because we went to many of the leading hospitals and cancer centers in the U.S. and came away with very mixed feelings and ultimately underwhelmed. I can't say for certain and no offense Kermica but do not necessarily agree that they are just "in it for the money," at least no more or less than any other cancer center.

I would check them out, just do it with your eyes wide open.

Regular User
    Love the quote... love it. thank you...

Regular User
    thank you joe7!!

Top User
    You're very welcome. Best

Newbie New User

cancer treatments centers

i spoke to someone there and she was very nice but they only except a few medicare patients a month. 1 of my doctors said to be careful because since they are do not get any goverment funding i would be responsible for anything medicare didn't cover, which can add up fast. I didn't go for that reason.

I called them also, the facility I called did not accept any Medicare patients. Even though I can understand that the payments from Medicare can be low, I feel that a healthcare organization should not ignore a whole patient pool of the older folks. What does that say about the organization?

It says that they are about making profits, not helping people...
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Top User
    Again I question that they are any more or less "in it for the money" than any other cancer center. At least I have not seen/heard/read anything credible that leaves me to believe so. Good luck getting MD Anderson (etc etc etc) to accept "low payments." I also don't think age has anything to do with it. If anything, I would think on avg older patients would be in better financial shape and have better coverage than younger people.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe7 View Post
    Again I question that they are any more or less "in it for the money" than any other cancer center. At least I have not seen/heard/read anything credible that leaves me to believe so. Good luck getting MD Anderson (etc etc etc) to accept "low payments." I also don't think age has anything to do with it. If anything, I would think on avg older patients would be in better financial shape and have better coverage than younger people.
    Actually, I think MD Anderson does accept Medicare (which can be low payments). [But someone can correct me if I'm wrong....]

"Age" by definition might not have anything to do with it, but if you leave out a large group of older patients from access to your facility due to not accepting their insurance, and that insurance is age-based, that's sort of a round-about way to leave out the older patient.

I don't know about you, but I do not personally know any "older patients" that are in "financial shape" to handle the cost of cancer treatment out-of-pocket, and since MANY "older patients" have Medicare as insurance .... well ... it once again comes around to patient care vs highest profits per patient.

IMHO, while wearing an advocacy hat for access to medical care for the "older patient".

Top User
    I think I read that CTC of America offers more "Integrative"extra treatments like yoga, music therapy,etc. than most centers. And insurance is not likely to pay for such add on therapies. The patient often has to pay for these extras.

Top User
    Good point lance - bottom line I think any cancer center is going to say we charge X amount for X service, regardless of who pays for it. Then it's a question of being able to pay.

Spouse I think few if any places decline to accept insurance, more like insurance companies who may not pay for this or that. Again people should plan as much as possible in that way. I am not talking about paying for costs out of pocket, but of having adequate insurance. If they count on medicare - a limited coverage to say the least - as their only medical insurance, that is not the fault of the cancer centers. PS I realize some may have no choice (due to being poor) but I suspect they are by far the exception. Most can afford insurance, even given the rising costs, if they made it a priority, but they don't.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

I think I read that CTC of America offers more "Integrative"extra treatments like yoga, music therapy,etc. than most centers
    My own humble opinion but I would be steering clear of these centres on the basis of the 'intergrative' care. I like my medicine with science and without the woo.

I stress this is MY opinion only.
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Senior User
    If you are young and have become disabled from cancer, you will HAVE to go on Medicare after two years of being on SSDisability. So if you want to try these places you better do it way early in the ballgame! This really blows me away because if you are disabled you will probably be needing more medical care than the average Joe.
    Spouse/Caregiver of 54 yr old male
    Diagnosed Primary CNS Lymphoma 2/2011
    HDMTX Chemo- 8 cycles
    HDMTX Maintenance Chemo- 11 cycles
    Complications: clots, kidney issues, slow clearance of
    chemo, dermatitis
    11/2013 Recurring clots in lungs/legs
    Scan 12-27-13 all clear
    Scan 3-13 all clear
    Next scan in October, done and all clear!

Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemoMan View Post
    Hi

My own humble opinion but I would be steering clear of these centres on the basis of the 'intergrative' care. I like my medicine with science and without the woo.

I stress this is MY opinion only.
    Respectfully disagree that addressing a patient's state of mind or a more holistic approach is "woo." It's not like they're waving beads over a patient's head. In fact this aspect probably doesn't get enough attention and isn't understood nearly enough. We are human beings after all, not test tubes.

I too have to respectfully disagree. I feel that things that can help the mind of people can only help their fight.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

+ Reply to Thread