A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cancer saved my life....

Newbie New User

Cancer saved my life....

Hello my name is Jude Grinpas I am 41 and loving life. I was diagnosed July 2010 with stage 3 esouphageal cancer t3 n3. I was told I didn't have long to live 6 months or less. With that prognosis I refused Chemo. I chose to spend my last months as healthy and as fun filled as possible, traveling with my family. I changed my diet began to meditate daily. As my last 6 months came and went I realized the Doctors don't know anything about the individuals with cancer, only about case study results. Empowered with new hope that I may have cancer but I am still in charge of the outcome, I designed my own protocol. Mainly focused on nutrition and meditation culminating with an esouphagectomy. I skiped all the radiation, chemo and drugs, did the surgery (Dr. Lukatich "Maverick cowboy kinda doctor said Your tumor is huge I don't know if I can save you but I would love to get inside you." He seemed to take the size and stage of the cancer as a challange. Two surgeries and 14 hours on the operating table later, I was and am cancer free. Love saying that. I am completely cancer free. Not to say there are not a new set of challanges to overcome, with learning how to use the new body. I am not much for small talk but I feel a bit selfish not sharing the good news and offering myself to field any questions about what I did or what someone can expect after sugery. Don't give up the doctor's don't know "you" You can survive this and still lead an active productive long life....I am available for questions and comments...
    Peace and Love
    Jude

Newbie New User
    My case was an emergency right from the start. I am one of those people who avoided doctors unless I thought I was dying, plus I was totally uninsured. The reason I got my first scope was because I was unable to swallow solids. The doctor performing the scope was the first among many who told me I had one of the largest tumors they had seen. So I was on a liquid only diet from the start and was dropping weight so rapidly (started at 210 lbs now I'm at 155) I was putting down whatever I could to keep the weight on. I foucused on protien meal replaecement drinks from the health food stores, unfortunatley I have yet to find one that is very tasty. I did alot of organic apple sauce and cream o wheat, But my main focus then and now was on juicing and taking the right vitamins. I am convinced the juicing was a huge part of my recovery. I avoided anything not organic, no dairy, no sugar, and no coffee. You can get a good juicer at wallmart for 50 dollars or less. The black GE model for $45.oo is a good choice. I juice carrots, celery, beets, kale, chard, ginger, and TUMERIC (very important in reducing size of tumor) also available in pill form. My approach was 3 fold first and most important is perspective DO NOT INVEST in your doctors

prognosis, with the poor sucess rate with EC treatment it is easy to buy into the it's over mentality DON"T DO IT. YOU are still in controll, you made the cancer you CAN and WILL change yourself. This is the biggest adventure/challenge of your life...You have been training your whole life for this....As crazy as it sounds this is the event you have been waitng for this is your time to shine. You now have the ultimate opportunity to impress yourself and loved ones...Even if you die in a month so what we are all dying each and every person on the planet is on their way out, It's all about how well you live and inspiring those around you by never giving up. Second is nutrition No GMO (geneticly modified food) all organic, no sugar (honey and maple syrup ok), no coffee (tea is ok), no drinking(occasional glass wine 1-2 month ok) Cancer needs 3 things to survive, 1 Sugar , 2 low oxygen environment, and 3 an acidic environment. If you remove these conditions the cancer cannot survive, so no sugar!! can't say it enough. You have to keep moving anything you can do to keep your heart pumping and oxygen flowing as much as you can handle and then add five minutes(your life depends on it. helps your body and mind) Eat tons of veggies to keep your ph balanced you can also find alkalai water to drink helped me alot. Third your lifestyle has to change even if you get rid of the cancer, if you don't change your lifestyle it will just come back. My days now start at 4am, 4-5 meditation 5-6 excersize 6-6:45 juicing and food prep. at work by 7am The funny part is had I never had cancer I simply would not have the determination to maintain the lifestyle, but the lifestlye opens up so many wonderfull options and feelings. I still have some gastro issues but its only discomfort. but I feel more at home in my body than ever before and it works better than ever, long story short cancer tuned out to be a good thing, scarry, painfull, and draining but what worthy challenge is without these ingredients. I've gone a bit long here I hope some of this is helpfull anything I can offer to help just ask....

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

I think your surgeon is fantatsic. I think however you are being somewhat delusional here with all the other stuff. Your story is just that , one persons story. While it is interesting reading it is not science. If there were thousands of stories of success like yours that would constitute real data and would make sense. Anecdotes are not science and you should stop thinking that they are.

2 questions. How would someone with a blood cancer fare with your method of curing cancer as there is nothing to surgically remove? Would you recommend that same treament for someone say with Hodgkins lymphoma ie, no chemo but just your diet?. You need to answer this with the knwoledge that Chemo results in 5 year survival rates of 90% with HL. What about someone with metastaic cancer which had spread to many sites ? Would you recommend your diet knowing that this would result in early death. Think carefully about your answers.

You can't cure cancer with diet, if it were so this place would not be here and cancer would not be an issue to anyone.

This website is for people how have chosen science based medicine as their means of fighting cancer. To come here and say what you have will be hurtful to many people here. While I wish you all the best, I also would ask you to find an alternative medicine site where your theories will fall on fertile ground, I can assure you that place is not here.

Thanks
    Last edited by ChemoMan; 03-16-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    Age 57
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Jgrinpas, I have the same kind of story. Decades of decadent behavior and doc avoidance came back to bite me with a tennis ball sized cervical tumor that didn't get my attention till it started hemorrhaging uncontrollably. Immediately I changed my diet and started dumping my vices and am stepping up my daily activity because I have stuff to do if my time is as short as it should be. I did have one round of chemo and radiation that got rid of the main tumor with minimal side effects. Will find out whether docs recommend more treatment on Monday but am open to just stopping or going into a clinical trial, depending on what things look like. However it goes, I have been physically and mentally healthier than I have ever been at least in my adult life. It is kind of a privilege to go down a road that more and more people are having to face. Being able to tell the story and possibly being able to help researchers improve treatment is more than I would have been able to contribute to society otherwise.

The thought of dying of cancer has terrified me since I was a little kid. Finally, at age 40, I realize that the goal is living well, not longevity, and I'm good with whatever happens as long as I can maintain that.

Newbie New User
    WARNING EVERYTHING I HAVE SAID APPLIES ONLY TO MYSELF and MYCASE!!!!!!!
    I am better and my intention was not to do a happy dance infront of anyone suffering, or to reccomend anything. Only to say cancer can be reversed at any size or any stage, and to never give up especially when your thinking "this is it" I was so against the wall so many times but somthing kept bringing me back. So that is my only message , it was intended as a message of hope not medical advice, I know nothing about medicine...It's strange my doctors all reacted the same as that gentleman upset with my post, many of them were upset at my refusal of conventional treatment told me I was giving up on my family by not following their advice. I wont post here or anywhere any more just feels selfish being cured and not trying to help others. any way everyone out there my strenght is your strength my health is your heatlh, may we all be free of illness and happy...
    Last edited by jgrinpas; 03-18-2012 at 07:36 PM.

FWIW, I appreciated the reminder about how self-care is important to living well with and, God willing, after cancer. Lots of good evidence (but, unfortunately, not as much or as prominent evidence as has been bought by medical drug and device makers) of diet and exercise being good adjuvant therapy.

Virtually everything I've seen -- including your post! -- has traditional chemo/rad/surgery as the main line of treatment, though, and nobody who claims to treat cancer without any of those has produced any real proof of their feat.

All that said, what helps me the most is to remember that the universe is the way it's supposed to be. Some of us will be cured, many of us will live a while and ultimately die of cancer, and most of us will be able to find peace and maintain a good quality of life if we choose to.

Seems to me that attitude and diet and exercise are key to having a good quality of life, even though none of it can guarantee longevity. I personally will take the former over the latter any day of the week. (And, so far, so good. )

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Barnabelle
    Seems to me that attitude and diet and exercise are key to having a good quality of life, even though none of it can guarantee longevity
    Amen to that I could not agree more. If you were to look at my posts you will see that I have been advocating a good diet and exercise to everyone here for years. I learnt the benefits of diet and exercise a long time ago. , exercise in particular has been shown to help in acheiving and maintaining remission in many cancers.

Every doctor I have had as my GP has advocated good diet and exercise, its basic knowledge to med students and around these forums
    Age 57
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ChemoMan View Post
    Hi Barnabelle
    Amen to that I could not agree more. If you were to look at my posts you will see that I have been advocating a good diet and exercise to everyone here for years. I learnt the benefits of diet and exercise a long time ago. , exercise in particular has been shown to help in acheiving and maintaining remission in many cancers.

Every doctor I have had as my GP has advocated good diet and exercise, its basic knowledge to med students and around these forums
    Wow, I was expecting a tongue-lashing for my positive and somewhat irreverent comment, esp. in the light of your first one here. I absolutely have to go do some backreading to get a better sense of the regular posters!

Re diet and exercise ... I see I am wanting to harp on that here. That's because the doctors and nurses I've been seeing are completely uninterested, if not hostile. Every time I mentioned any little thing that doesn't involve cancer center treatment or a prescription my idea was ignored or shot down, so nobody has said one word about that sort of thing since about halfway through treatment. Eg. I mention fiber, water and exercise for digestive complications from radiation, and oncologist repeats names of OTC medicines I "need" to take. Until I found a naturopath in town, my only resource for non-Rx advice was the public library.

So, yeah, y'all have been warned. I tend to overcompensate a bit for lack of support in self-care and personal well-being areas.

Senior User
    I completely agree with you jgrinpas! I've been working on changing my diet, not that it was ever that bad or I was fat, but I need to be super strict because I feel completely fine!
    www.CancerKickinGirl.com

Fall 2011 - SO SICK. Should have seen a Dr. for diagnosis!!
    Beg. of 2012 Age 26 - Almost DEAD & diagnosed Stage 4 Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer - Spread to Liver, Lymph nodes, Stomach, Cervix, Abdomen & Bowels... VERY SEVERE CASE of PC
    8/12 - Hospitalized for a week for spleen rupture
    2/13 Chemo stable/ cysts shrunk, no growth - I'll take that
    3/13 Hospitalized for hole in fistula in colon caused by cancer. Got stent and healing!

+ Reply to Thread