A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Sister just got diagnosed with Breast Cancer possibly Stage IV to the spine

Newbie New User

My Sister just got diagnosed with Breast Cancer possibly Stage IV to the spine

Hi,

My name is Jon. I'm an 8 year Stage III Colon Cancer survivor. Was diagnosed at the age of 36 and now I'm doing great. Unfortuneately, now my sister is dealing with her own cancer. A mamogram discovered a lump in her breast that was biopsied and came back positive last week. She was having bad back pain and an MRI identified what the doctors are pretty certain is cancer in her lower back/spine. It seems its spread quite a bit in the back thru one vertabrae and scattered around. Neuro Surgeon and Oncologist think its cancer but are not sure if the Breast was the primary since its small. They do think the back is secondary though and did a CT Scan mid last week and a bone scan on Friday to try and determine if it could be a secondary tumor from some other type of cancer.

She meets with the Neuro Surgeon tomorrow to get all the results and see if a firm diagnosis can be made. What he has told her is he would not operate on the spine as its too risky. Only would consider it if pain was too severe or there was a risk of loss of her legs. He said radiation would b the likely course of treatment there.

I know we don't have all the information yet but based on my experience with CC people on the forums who are living it are quite educated and helpful. Looking for any advice you might be able to give to help us keep the docs on the right tract or for suggestion for other forms of treatment if it comes to that, etc.

Does Breast cancer go to the bones?

Thanks for any help you can give me that might be able to help my sister.

Jon Olis

Hello Jon. Welcome to the forums.
    Congratulations on your survivorship. May I ask you to post about this in the colon and rectal cancer board as your story would be of hope for others?

I am so very sorry to read of your sister's diagnosis. I am afraid that I can't give you any help as mine was a different cancer.
    This breast cancer board here is not a busy one but I do hope that someone will coma along who can help you.
    We do have a coping and support board that usually has someone around 24/7 if you wish to post in there.

Hugs from Australia.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User
    Thanks Didee. I may jump in your CC forum. Could you recommend any more active forums. Really looking for a place where I can find fast information for my sis.

Thanks,
    Jon

Sorry, Jon. As I have not had anything to do with BC I have no idea but I am sure that Google will help.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User
    met with my oncologist last week for my treatment plan and yes, per oncology visit, breast cancer will spread to three main sites, bone being on of those sites, so lower back pain due to a tumor would make sense. Best wishes to your sister. Hope that answer are soon obtained. I like having info, solid quantifiable info, and a treatment plan to keep me moving forward.
    per biopsy 2/7/12: IDC grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-neu+
    pathology post radical mastectomy 2/29/12: DCIS, largest tumor 5.2 cm, 1/7 LNs, stage III

Newbie New User

Follow up

Well, my sister did 2 weeks of radiation and now is on two different treatments, 1 to build the bone and one is an anti estrogen therapy?? She just had an MRI and the tumors on her spine have grown 10% over where they were at prior to radiation.

I really need to find out as much as possible about treating spinal mets. I would appreciate it if anyone could share there own treatment plan and how effective it has been. And if anyone knows of any hospitals/drs that are experts in treating the spine for BC mets that would be appreciated. We are in Southern California but will travel if it makes sense.

I think its time for a second opinion. She is currently be treated by a Neuro Surgeon and Oncologist at Hoag Breast Cancer Center in Newport Beach, CA.

Thanks,
    Jon

+ Reply to Thread