A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sclc-ed, what can i expect???

Newbie New User

Sclc-ed, what can i expect???

Hello to all and sorry for the so many who have and are going thru this disease with family and friends. My brother was officially diagnosed Feb. 23, 2012 after 3 weeks of being misdiagnosed by VA Hospital. He has the cancer in lung, lymphoid, and 2 "spots" on the brain. He has had 2 phases of chemo (3 days each) and 9 radiation to the brain (has 5 left to go). This morning he was hospitalized with fluid on lungs, possibly pneumonia and blood clots in the lung. Is this par for the course of this disease or does this mean it is now getting worse? Our doctor is NOT informative, what I know of the disease I learned from the internet. When we first asked her what his quality and quantity of life was from her experience, her reply was, that is between him and his maker!!! Any info any one can give will help me and my brothers and sister-in-law deal with this. My brother does not know how serious this disease is....he believes he will be back to normal in a few months.

Regular User
    Hello. I am sorry about your brothers diagnosis. Cancer sucks and so does everything that goes along with it. I am going to start counseling this week to help me figure out how to deal with this horrible thing. My mom was just diagnosed with stage 4 SCLC 2 months ago.

Blood clots are common in cancer and unfortunately so is pneumonia. They often put the pts on blood thinners to prevent further blood clots but sometimes (like in my moms case)-have to take them off if they start to cough up blood. MD Anderson Cancer Center in Texas has some great information on all types of cancer-just check out their website. Have they told you his prognosis? Is their is a cancer ctr in your area they usually have dr's that are used to questions about cancer-you may want to change md's if you dont get what you need fromt he current one. We did that and the cancer ctr mom goes to is great-for the most part.

I hope you find some answers.

Sister, I too am so sorry. It seems he has a good positive attitude. Run with that. He can sign off for you to get as many answers as he can get and you can quiz the doctor more. My husband, daughter and mom have my permission. Going in I told all of my doctors not to pull any punches and signed an agreement that they would make sure I got the truth every step of the way. It might not have been offered to your brother or he may have declined it. Some people don't want to know. If he doesn't, then that is his wish. And if that is the case he should let everyone know what his wishes are. In fact, he should anyway.

Many people have good results with rad. but plural effusion is never good.

You really have to look these doctors in the eye and ask for answers. a
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

First, let me say I am also very sorry your brother has been diagnosed with Ed-SCLC. My dad was also diagnosed with this and ironically, around the exact same time as your brother. It is a beast of a disease to fight.

I can't stress enough how important it is to have an oncologist who is informative, understanding, yet aggressive. If your brother wants to fight this, which he sounds like he does, he needs a doctor who is as aggressive. SCLC is a very aggressive cancer (which I am sure you already know) and it tends to react very well to first line treatments. However, it has a high rate of reoccurrence. Depending on your brother's wishes, you all should try and find a second opinion.

Good luck to you and your brother. I know this is scary, but there are people who are going through the same situation. Please try and keep us updated.

Take Care,
    Meg
    Diagnosed 2/25/2012 with Extensive Small Cell Lung Cancer

My very loving father passed away on 8/11/2012. I love you so much, Dad.

Jeff A Coplan
    Loving Husband, Father, and Friend
    03/06/1957-08/11/2012

My Dad's Journey

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Sister, I am so sorry that your brother has been staged with advanced SCLC. I have to agree with fighting4dad, a 2nd opinion would be appropriate. I hope he responds well to the chemo and he has a good chance for that...SCLC responds better to chemo than NSCLC. Hopefully that will buy him alot more time before a recurrance which is likely. I hope you will find the support you need here on the forum..I know it helped me alot when my Dad was diagnosed. Please let us know how he is doing. God Bless.
    Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Newbie New User
    Thanks to all for feedback.....sorry I have not been on more....hard to travel out of state to help care for him....it looks like as soon as I get home, it is time to return....he is home for now and seems to be doing better with his breathing.....huge mood swings and anger.....now walks with a cane and vision is blurred.....third round of chemo begins Monday.....two more radiation treatment.....just don't really know what to expect except for what I read on this forum and other internet info.....thanks again and I will try to check back for encouragement and help....good luck to all and God bless

Newbie New User
    Hello and thanks again for all the comfort and support.....sorry it has been a long time since I have been here.....just returned from burying an aunt and visiting my brother with sclc.....he only received 4 phases of chemo before his doctor advised us to stop because his cancer had not responded to chemo....he completed his brain radiation and was given radiation to chest area to reduce swelling so he could breath better....two weeks ago a full body scan/pet/mri was done....he now has another spot on his brain (right side), on his spine, in both hip bones, in the lymph-node under his left arm and several spots (one being about 1 and 1/2 inch diameter) in his liver....we have called in hospice and hopefully they are caring for him in the right way.....he is now taking 60 mg of morphine every hour....he can no longer urinate (prostates have swelled from radiation)...he has lost 20 lbs. in about 3 weeks....no appetite....we know this is the beginning of the end.....he fell last night and could not get up (thank God he did not break any bones, just scraped his elbows and forearm)....hospital bed was brought in today (he wants to die at home).....just please pray for a quick and painless end....he was always very strong, supportive, decision maker, and now he looks at you so lost.....I pray for all who are going thru this horrible disease as a victim or family or friend.....no one should ever have to go thru this.....our older brother died last September (myself and this brother with the cancer were the older brother's caregivers)....so I pray this September will not be the month I bury this brother......thank you all for a shoulder to cry on.....I feel so defeated....

Sister, You are far from defeated. You are tired. My daddy fell a few times. I think because he was always such a strong capable man. He just kept trying. He also had that look of lost in his eyes in the end. I asked him if he needed anything and he would give me that monotone No. As troubled as our history was, I would tell him, "I love you daddy." And that gave him much comfort. I just kept telling him there was nothing left undone. And he didn't. a
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

+ Reply to Thread