A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How fast does a lymph tumor located under the jaw grow?

Newbie New User

How fast does a lymph tumor located under the jaw grow?

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding a lymph node that is swollen and hard, on the right side under the jawbone. No other symptoms.

I have some questions regarding this issue and I really hope to get an answer.

1) The lymph under the jawbone became big in a matter of weeks, I'm talking 2 or 3 weeks and it became so big that you could even see it without feeling it. Is that a typical progress of a tumor?
    2)No weight or appetite loss, still has alot of energy aswell. As a matter of fact none of the typical cancer symptoms are there. Does this indicate something else non cancerous? perhaps taxoplasmosis?

I just hope someone can answer these questions. I'd be thankfull for ever

thanks in advance! (Also its not about me, but someone very close to me)

edit: and dont worry they're currently doing several tests to find out what it is,

Hi Pazdaran and welcome. Unfortunately we can'treally tell you anything about your friend's condition. The only advice we can give is that he/she should see a doctor and press for a definitive diagnosis if they are concerned. Here is a good link on the subject: http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...h-NO-diagnosis

Remember, the only way to rule lymphoma in or out is with a full excisional biopsy. The chances are it is something other than lymphoma but your friend should see a doctor if concerned.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermica View Post
    Hi Pazdaran and welcome. Unfortunately we can'treally tell you anything about your friend's condition. The only advice we can give is that he/she should see a doctor and press for a definitive diagnosis if they are concerned. Here is a good link on the subject: http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...h-NO-diagnosis

Remember, the only way to rule lymphoma in or out is with a full excisional biopsy. The chances are it is something other than lymphoma but your friend should see a doctor if concerned.

Good health,

kermica
    thanks a ton for your words, I'm sure you are aware that it is hard to not know what it is.

Senior User
    With that rate of swelling, and no other symptoms, it actually seems unlikely that it's related to lymphoma, and much more likely infection or reaction to something else. But, as Kermica notes, the only definitive test is an excisional biopsy, and I doubt a doctor would be inclined to prescribe that, given the circumstances you've outlined. More likely you're friend may be prescribed some antibiotics and told to watch it for a while.
    DX May 2010 fNHL - G1, S4
    TX - Clinical Trial through Fred Hutchison Cancer Research Center (U of Washington)
    6 cycles R-CHOP induction
    1 cycle Bexxar consolidation
    4 years quarterly Rituxan maintenance
    Consolidation completed Dec. 2010
    Clinical Remission declared Dec. 2010
    PET/CT - 2/22/2011 - NED
    BMB - 3/2/2011 - PCR-Negative; molecular remission
    CT scans semi-annually, latest 6/2014 - NED continues

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Defens View Post
    With that rate of swelling, and no other symptoms, it actually seems unlikely that it's related to lymphoma, and much more likely infection or reaction to something else.
    Agree with your literal quote- it is very important to stress the statistics say it's much more likely that it is something else. That said, I had pretty much exactly what the original poster described, and yes I am now diagnosed with NHL.

This is the most difficult part: sadly cancer is one of those diseases that is sometimes hard to distinguish from everyday minor ailments, and very often forcing a diagnosis is not free from dangers. Case in point - to be sure you need to undergo minor surgery (in the jaw case) - biopsy - that will likely leave a visible scar. Is it worth it? Well, if you're unlucky like me and it actually was cancer, yeah, I could've possibly caught it earlier and possibly cured it. In most cases it's an unnecessary danger, and given what we knew at the time we made the right choices.

But, as Kermica notes, the only definitive test is an excisional biopsy, and I doubt a doctor would be inclined to prescribe that, given the circumstances you've outlined. More likely you're friend may be prescribed some antibiotics and told to watch it for a while.
    Yup. The only thing to add perhaps is that normal GP's sometimes don't have the background to pick the exact right moment for when to upgrade your 'alert level'. How long do normal lymph nodes stay swollen after a random inflammation? I think that 3 weeks is roughly the limit for 'out of the blue' enlargements. Another datapoint from my own experience: I caught a flu on christmas day. Both jaw lymph nodes (L and R) grew in size. The R one dropped back to normal roughly on the second week of the new year, while my L node stayed the same, which we now know was due to my illness.

In short: if you're worried, read up, but stick with the doctor's advice and try to only start to worry and/or push for followup/2nd opinions etc if you have a strong reason to doubt his skills.
    35/m
    Stage 3 Grade 2B Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma,
    Organs/Spine not affected yet
    R-CVP-21 Chemotherapy ongoing

+ Reply to Thread