A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: endometrial thickening stripe

Newbie New User

endometrial thickening stripe

I have had a pap (was normal) and an u/s they found endometrial thickening stripe measuring 15-16mm. I'm scheduled for another u/s this Monday. What will happen if the thickening hasn't went down? Could I possibly have to have surgery? Is it a sign on cancer?

Hello. Welcome. This is a very frightening time waiting for tests and results. Good luck with your ultrasound and I hope you do not have cancer.
    I am not familiar with what you have but I hope someone will be along who is.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

I have moved this thread to here from the Cervical board and merged your post to your thread from an old one as I think this is where you may get more pertinent help.

EDIT. I profusely apologise. I somehow have deleted your post on the other thickening stripe thread as well as Endosophies reply to you.

I am so very sorry.
    Last edited by Didee; 03-31-2012 at 05:57 AM.
    Aussie, age 57

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

I have managed to salvage them. Phew.

Tiffanie
    http://www.cancerforums.net/images/s...er-offline.png
    Newbie New User Join DateMar 2012Posts2
    I was told I have endometrial thickening stripe of 15-16mm ... I have no clue if that's normal or not. My dr. won't let me have a hysterectomy !!! I think I need a 2nd opinion !!! And QUICK !! I have a family history of female problems from my great gma' to my moma !!! I cramp ALL THE TIME, never know when I'm gonna start bleeding and its frustrating because it seems I can't get any help ANYWHERE w/ my questions I have. Hope you get better.

endosophie
    http://www.cancerforums.net/images/s...er-offline.png
    Moderator Senior User Join DateMar 2011Posts104
    Didee -- Is it possible to make this into its own tread, starting with Tiffanie?

Tiffanie -- You don't say how old you are. For a post-menopausal woman, the endometrial stripe should be about 4 mm, so 15-16 would be way too thick. But I am not sure about what happens if you are still having menstral cycles. Your doctor should be able to describe to you what happens and whether this is normal for you or not. If the endometrial stripe is abnormally thick, the next step would normally be to have an endometrial biopsy to rule out endometrial cancer. The first thing to do is to talk to your doctor. Make sure you are very clear when you tell him/her what your symptoms are and your family history. Might be a good idea to keep a record of your cramps and bleeding so that you can be specific. Make a list of your questions. Listen carefully to the answers that you get. If your doctor does not think you need a husterectomy, how does he/she propose to deal with your symptoms? It might even be a good idea to take someone with you, so you are sure you hear what the doctor says. If you are not satisfied, by all means, get a second opinion. All the best.

Aussie, age 57

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.

CancerForums User Policy

Newbie New User
    my 2nd u/s results are as follows ..... no abnormality of the uterus is noted in followup. the right overy is surgically removed. there is a 1.3cm dominant follicle of the left overy. There is no change in the resent u/s done on 3/9/12 ... There is persistent heterogeneous endometrial thickening stripe still measures 16mm. Biopsy eval should be considered. OK ... is this biopsy gonna hurt? can't they do a d&c ? OMG i'm sooooo scared !!!!!

Newbie New User
    thank u very much ~ just very scared at this point

Moderator Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie View Post
    OK ... is this biopsy gonna hurt? can't they do a d&c ? OMG i'm sooooo scared !!!!!
    Here's the story on the endometrial biopsy. For most women, it hurts a little bit but not a lot. But for some women, it is extremely painful. When I went to the gyn, she said that I could either have the endometrial biopsy then and there, or I could schedule a D&C which would involve waiting a week or two, general anesthesia, etc. In a moment of very unusual courage (I tend to be a complete wimp), I opted for the biopsy. I really wanted to get it over with and find out if I had cancer. So I told her to go ahead. My gyn said that it would feel like bad menstral cramps, and that it would be over pretty quickly. That's exactly what it felt like. Bad cramps. I would rate the pain as a 2-3 on a 10 point scale--very bearable. It took just a couple of minutes. But as I said, I have heard about some women finding this to be extremely painful. I have no idea why it is easy for some (most I think) and hard for others. If you would prefer to go with the D&C, you should ask about that

I can really relate to feeling scared. But keep in mind that you probably don't have cancer, and if you do, endometrial cancer is one of the most curable cancers--often cured with just a hysterectomy. If you do end up needing a hysterectomy, make sure you look into the daVinci hysterectomy. My hysterectomy was a piece of cake! I had no idea that surgery could be so easy and so painless!
    Last edited by endosophie; 04-03-2012 at 01:42 AM.
    Endometrial adenocarcinoma
    stage 1 (10% penetration of myometrium), grade 2
    daVinci hysterectomy March 2011
    No further treatment. Feeling great!

Newbie New User
    Wellllll I'm DEFINITELY a wimp !!!! I have a very low pain tolerance LOL ~ I'm thinking the D&C !!!! LOL This stuff runs in my family from my great g'ma to me (4 generations) and everyone of them had to have a hysterectomy. In fact, my sister just had a partial hysterectomy this morning. I'm just nervous and scared. I'm a christian and I have plenty of faith its just the not knowing whats gonna happen next that is so worrisome. Thank you for the advice.

Moderator Top User
    If you need to have a hysterectomy, make sure you check out the daVinci hysterectomy. It is completely different from the hysterectomies that they used to do. They poke a few holes in your belly and pull the uterus out through the vagina. No big incision, and almost no pain! I was in the hospital for only one night and had a really easy recovery. The worst part was starting the IV--I hate needles! But you don't even have a diagnosis yet, so there's a good chance that you won't even need the hysterectomy. Hope everything goes well for you.
    Endometrial adenocarcinoma
    stage 1 (10% penetration of myometrium), grade 2
    daVinci hysterectomy March 2011
    No further treatment. Feeling great!

Newbie New User
    ok, talked to my gyn dr. today ~ their going to schedule a hysteroscopy and D&C ~ they'll send home pain meds right???? lol I'm a cry baby its a same day surgery
    Last edited by Tiffanie; 04-03-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: wanted to add more to my post

+ Reply to Thread