A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Any advise appreciated

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Newbie New User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1

    Any advise appreciated

    My son is 2 will be 3 in May. A little over a year ago he had a couple swollen cervical lymph nodes but had battled a couple of infections and been on numerous antibiotics.The dr said it may just take a while for the nodes to go down. He was given another round of antibiotics. 6 months later I noticed there were several pea size nodes to marble size on the left side accompanied by 1 slightly larger node. The pediatrician didn’t seem too worried said some kids just have “shotty nodes”. It was just nagging me bc I could see them from a distance so I made an appointment with an ENT. He said the same thing they aren’t too large prob too small to biopsy. He opted to watch and wait. 3 mo later I took him back to the ENT bc there were several more small pea size to marble size nodes present on both sides and still the 1 slightly larger node. The dr still wasn’t concerned. I was told to come back in 6 weeks if there was any change he may opt for a biopsy. Just took him back and there are more pea to marble size nodes (20 or so) on both sides. He has now decided to biopsy the slightly larger one and has said his tonsils are large and is removing them. We are scheduled to have the surgery in 1 week. He's had slightly abnormal wbc every time they've done blood work over this past year. He is pretty active but fatigues easy. I am staying away from google bc I know that will just add worry. I am hoping/praying this is due to some type of infection but I just wanted to post this and see if any of you has any insight or questions I should ask. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing and don’t miss anything. I am worried about this and would appreciate any advise!

  2. #2
    Administrator Top User Kermica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,132
    Hi Cadesmom and welcome to the place that no one wants to be but many come to value. It sounds to me like you are a great mom who is doing all the right things to make sure that her baby is not at risk and is getting the attention he needs. Continue to press the medical folks for answers. You have forced the need for a biopsy and that is exactly the right thing to have pushed for so good for you.

    I have no specific advice at this point other than to say that you should continue to do what you are doing. You are in charge of your son's care and well being. You know that so he will be fine because Mom is on the job. Let us know how he makes out and we will be here to help as we can if the diagnosis is what we hope it will not be. It could be but probably is something else so try not to worry to the point of distraction. Even if it is a cancer, the chances are very good that it is treatable, the biggest advances in treating cancer have occurred with the childhood diseases so try not to be afraid. The unknown is the worst time.

    Good health,

    kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

    Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

    Remember the Rules!

  3. #3
    Senior User Bamabelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    380
    Hey, pros correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't unrelated surgery the last thing a person would want to do if cancer is suspected?

    Unless my gut's obviously flat out wrong, I'd get a second opinion and or a biopsy before having his tonsils out.
    Dxed with Stage IB2 cervical cancer by one doctor and IVB by another in 10/11. Finished six weeks of pelvic chemorad in 12/11. Lung tumor found in 10/11 dxed as IB NSCLC in 8/12. Dec. '12 scan showed clear pelvis, no growth in lung tumor and new activity in remote lymph nodes. Is it a Stage I and a Stage IV, three Stage Is, or a cured cancer with something benign going on? Lost interest and went off the reservation after a year of unsuccessfully fighting for a good biopsy.

  4. #4
    Administrator Top User Didee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    8,818
    Infection in the tonsils can cause lymph nodes to swell in the neck and in my opinion (I have seen others that have had this done) Having the surgery as well as a lymph node biopsy will enable the pathologists to find out exactly what is happening.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

    Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

    May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

    CancerForums User Policy

    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

    Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

 
+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Not sure what to do....any advice would be appreciated
    By SoConfused in forum Cervical Cancer Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 02:49 AM
  2. Any help or advice appreciated
    By ilovemygrandma in forum Lung Cancer Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 06:21 AM
  3. any advise would be appreciated
    By desperateinlimbo in forum Coping and Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2009, 06:51 AM
  4. Any Help Is Appreciated
    By PSting in forum Pancreatic Cancer Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 11:38 PM
  5. any help would be appreciated.
    By dawn39 in forum General Cancer topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts