A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scared scared and more scared....lump under my jaw line/ chin

Newbie New User

Scared scared and more scared....lump under my jaw line/ chin

Let me start off by saying, immediately after discovering this large lump under my jawline/chin? I contacted my doctor and made an appointment, itís in 2 weeksÖ.meanwhile, Iím in a panic over exactly what this could be?

Searching the internet has only confused and frighten me. I came to this site because I am a smoker and Iíve been under a great deal of stress for the past year or two (financial) and cancer is in the family. This is only adding to my stress level which is at an all time high. I am overweight, almost 260 lbs, 53 years old and menopausal. Iím concerned that it may be cancer because 20 years ago I had a goiter removed and although it came back benign, I was told to quit smoking because future lumps could come up cancerous.

My question is has anyone else had these symptoms and if so what was your diagnosis? Should I be overly concerned? Or just wait for my doctor to treat me? I really donít need added stress to my life at this point, Iím about fit to be tied right at this moment, canít take much more stress!!

Hi Gayle and welcome. I know how stressful and frightening this time can be when you have asuspicious lump and are waiting to see the doctor. It is very, very hard. Just remember that you are doing the right thing by getting it checked ou. Be sure to make sure that they do everything necessary to provide you with a definitive root cause and do let us know how things go for you.

Chances are that this is not cancer. There are many, many other causes of lumps so don't panic. Even if it is cancer, don't panic - look at all the people here who are living with it, not dying from it, for example. During the waiting time, try to spend your time doing things that you enjoy, whatever that may be. It will help to keep your mind occupied so the "what ifs" don't make you crazy.

Good luck with everything.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Newbie Regular User
    Kermica, my Mom was just diagnosed with that (squamous cell carcinoma) she had a lump under her jaw and she could feel it in the back of her throat....It is not in the jaw bone which is a good thing because surgery would be easier. She has chosen radiation and chemo together. She should begin those treatments any day now if her other disease doesnt tell her not to. shes also alcoholic, but shes a stage 3 and has known since July of this year that something was there and is now looking into things. weather or not she actually goes through with the treatments is a different story, all of which are her decisions.

+ Reply to Thread