A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dad - Diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer - Adenocarcinoma

Regular User

Post Dad - Diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer - Adenocarcinoma

Hello,

I am here to share the story of my father from Hyderabad, India who was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer on 3/15/12. I live in Chicago and moved to India temporarily to be the primary care taker. I am overwhelmed by what I am seeing on this site, and is a great inspiration for all. Great souls.

Patient Profile:
    - M/63, Veg, non-smoker, non-drinker, physically fit and has stress management issues.
    - appetite normal
    - weight loss minimal; 1 kg -2 kg in last 2 months

Below are the findings from PET CT scan-

- 1.3cm left supraclavicular node(neck region)
    - spiculated 3.6cm mass in medial basal segment of right lower lobe, mild effusion
    - multiple enlarged mediastinal nodes seen in prevascular, pratracheal, right hillar, lobar, interlobar and subcarinal region, largest being 3.6cm
    - Right lung primary

EGFR +ve (it took 15 days for the report and the wait is a killer)

Based on the limited knowledge I have, looks like his oncologist put him on a targeted therapy drug called, Tab Geftinat 250mg from NATCO Pharma, once a day and we were told to come back after 4 weeks.

He has been on the above medication for the last 4 days, and he seems to be doing fine physically with no visible side effects so far atleast.

- For EGFR+ patients, is targeted therapy the new norm as first line of treatment instead of chemo.
    - I was expecting based on second opinions from other docs that he will be put on a combination(chemo+ targeted) or chemo followed by targeted.

I am trying to feed him anticancer diets and forcing him to do some meditation.

Anything else that I am missing or doing wrong, ding me on my head.

Thanks for the support.

Kanthi

Experienced User
    HI Kanthi,
    this is Carmen. I live in Arizona but my mother is in Italy now. She was diagnosed with a stage IV adenocaricnoma to the lungs, this jun.
    She had immediateli chemo (Alimta + cispaltino every 21 days). She had 6 treatments and after she stopped to pass to radio
    I can immagine how you fill in this moment....... I am mother of two children but when I know about the cancer for my mother I close myself in my wardrobe and didn't want go aouteside for long time. I used to do this way in my mother wardrobe when I was a baby...... It is a very orrible sensation to know that a person you love is in troubles and you can't help him and resolve his problems like you have done for years.
    To be hones, I have never herard about this kind of drug your father is haveing. More expert persons like pbj or dano can answer to you.........I hope it will be the best line of treatment for your father.
    You was very good to join him to India and take care of him. Love is the best drug and the best food to him.

God bless you nad your father,
    Carmen

Regular User
    Quick Update:
    My father has been on Tab Geftinat 250mg(Iressa equivalent) for more than 10 days and he seems be doing fine except for mouth sores(and he is in pain).
    We visited his primary medical oncologist last week(he was on vacation when we started the treatment and the other medical oncologist put us on Geftinat 250mg,once a day) and he mentioned that we should be taking 500mg of Geftinat per day or Tarceva 150mg per day. We will be moving to Tarceva 150 mg from tomorrow and hopefully it works in keeping his bad friends in check.

Thanks

Experienced User
    Hi Kanthy,
    I am sure that you will help your father to find a good doctor and a good theraphy to him.
    I have no experiences about the medicine you mentioned but they are very used because I read continuosly thes names in to the forum.
    So this kind of treatments are used with success and the quality is life good.
    And you Kanthi, how are you?
    God bless you and give to your father a big hug fro me!
    Carmen

Regular User
    Quick Update and Questions:

Father has been on Tarceva 150mg for 10 days so far and he is struggling to cope up with mouth sores and puss pimples all over his face. Few days back we visited his oncologist, and he prescribed ointments for puss pimples and mouth sores, but are not helping much. We talked about holding Tarceva with his oncologist and he doesn't seem to be keen on those option or dosage reduction so far.

- Is it reasonable to stop Tarceva for a week or so, if it becomes unbearable, to gain some ground against side effects and start back again.
    - Is it common to take CT scan after a month on Tarceva

Carmen, I am doing ok so far and trying to be of support to my family.

Thanks
    Kanthi

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Kanthi, I am so sorry that your father is having so many side effects from these medications. My Dad only had radiation for his lung cancer so we never had these problems. It's important to tell the doctors just how bad these symptoms are so they can stay on top of them. I know there is a mouthwash that can be used to numb the mouthsores so that they are not so bothersome. Only his doctor will be able to advise what the dangers are in reducing or pausing the treatment. I'm hoping that some of the other folks here on the forum that have gone through this will be able to offer you some support or suggestions. God Bless.
    Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Experienced User
    HI Kanthi,
    my mother stopped radio and since one week is having Tarceva. She told me the same: after one month of treatment she has to have a CTscan.
    She has having side effects like nausea and tiredness but she has not rushes on the skin.
    I think is better to talk to the doctor and try to find an alterantive with Tarceva.
    Let us posted.
    God Bless you and your father,
    Carmen

Experienced User
    kanthi,
    what abou your father? and how are you ?
    Let us know.....

Regular User
    Hi Carmen,

He had a CT scan last week and his tumors sizes/numbers came down by 30% after a month on Tab Tarceva 150mg.
    Present Side Effects: Mouth sores, mild pimples, teeth pain, nausea, diarrhea

I am back in US for few weeks and will head back soon.

I hope your mother is doing well.

Thanks
    Kanthi

Newbie New User
    hello po, kung need nyo po ng erlotinib tarceva meron po ako, kc 2 bottles nabili ko kay tatay, pinatigil na ng doctor ibang med nmn sya ngayon, galing pong singapore inorder ko, 20k ko lng po ibenta sayang po kc eh, eto po number ko 09279132867,

Regular User
    Hope all are doing well. Its been a few months I gave an update on my dad's health. He's been on Tarceva 150mg for the last 3 months and seems to be doing ok so far.
    I came back to US 3 months back and every day I call him, I wish(pray) to hear only one thing, 'stable condition'.

He's been having headaches for the last 3-4 days only during nights along with the normal(known) Tarceva side effects. He has an appointment today and am keeping my fingers crossed.
    I will update the thread in the next few days.

Thanks
    Kanthi

Senior User
    Hi Kanthi, any word on how dads appt went the other day? Glad to hear he is doing well. It must be hard for you to be so far away. Please keep us posted!
    Caregiver to mom, 64 Ovarian Cancer Remission since 1997.
    6/19/12 Annual blood work - CA125 came back elevated.
    6/21/12 CT abdomen, RUL 2.8cm spot, LLL 5mm spot, lt. adrenal gland mass 8.3cm, rt. adrenal gland mass 4.6 cm.,
    6/28/12 Brain MRI-Clear,
    6/29/12 Lung Biopsy=Stage 4 NSCLC.
    7/11, 8/3, 8/23, 9/13/12 Chemo (Carb/Alimta).
    CT Scan 10/4/12 1 of 4 tumors decreased. 20% Kidney function. Blood transfusion
    10/9/12. Mets to liver.
    12/11 chemo (carb/taxotere) continued thru March.
    March 27, 2013. Told no more chemo, cancer now in the brain, to call out Hospice. Set up hospice March 31, 2013. Mom passed April 12, 2013. She will always be in my heart, never forgotten and always loved. May we reunite soon....after only a temporary separation!

Newbie New User

Adenocarcinoma lung cancer Stage 4 for my brother 47 years old who has 2 young kids.

Dear All,

My brother has diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma lung cancer stage 4 in last may 2012 . The doctors said the cells have spread severely and he got only choice of chemo. He is taking treatment in Chennai Appollo. He completed one set of 6 cheemo and given oral medicine after that. While there was a improvement (the size of the nodes shrink) during the cheemo, after the doctor stopped cheemo the nodes grown again. He has 2 young kids and my sister in law is a home maker. Since my brother found out with life killer, he could not go for any work as he got no enough energy and unable to eat his food. I can see he is every day struggling. I hate God nowadays. We are 4 brothers and financially we are supporting my brother even though we are not affordable. I wish to hear from you all a sort of advice on his further treatment, and any special methods/foods to make him better. I am clueless on this matter and only depends on the doctors advice. The doctor always said there is no cure for this stage and just have to fight until he lives. Every time when i thing about it i could not do anything except crying. Please guys advice me.
    Last edited by irish; 01-29-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: removed personal email address

Regular User
    Almost a year into Tarceva, my Dad is struggling to cope with side effects, nausea, occasional diarrhea and discomfort in stomach(feels full and heavy).
    Also he is starting to feel weakness from the last 2 weeks and his food intake is going down as well due to side effects. He is not loosing weight though at this point.

Are there any clues(symtoms) that have been reported to know that Tarceva is not working for him anymore.

Thanks
    Kanthi

Senior User
    Hi Kanthi, I think the only way to tell if the drug is working or not, is via imaging tests, such as CT. In Greece where I live, they order CT tests every 6 months to monitor progress or remission and decide on next steps of treatment. When is your dad supposed to have his next CT or other imaging tests? I can't offer any advice or experience on Tarceva as my dad was EGFR negative and had to take traditional regimens instead of targeted treatments; some of the traditional drugs were well tolerated and others were not. And everyone responds different to treatmetns so we really cannot tell how our loved ones will respond or tolerate any given drug. I wish the best for your dad, and for you being away from him and worrying even more than if you were close to home.
    Mary

Regular User
    Wanted to give an update on Dad's LC:

- Almost a year and 3 months into Tarceva, he is doing ok so far except for the constant side effects(mouth sores, nausea, occasional diarrhea and discomfort in stomach)
    - Lately for the last two weeks, he is having fevers in the evening(100 degrees) and it goes away during day time
    - He had an x-ray today on the lungs and the physician suspected water in the lungs and advised to go to the Oncologist immediately.
    - He is scheduled with the Oncologist next week. I am hoping it is not something serious. Any insights/advice?

'Hope' is the word I cling hard too, every time, and it disappoints me.

Senior User
    Hi Kanthi, sorry to hear your dad is dealing with side effects and fever. Collecting liquid in the lungs is very common, as I understand, my dad has it too but the doctors said that they do not want to drain this unless it causes him trouble breathing. I would be more worried about the fever than the liquid, as the fever may indicate drug toxicity or some kind of infection, have they told the onc about the fever? I think that's the first thing you should look into.

I hope it's nothing serious, please keep us posted.

Mary

+ Reply to Thread