A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mri...if results are bad are you told sooner ?

Regular User

Mri...if results are bad are you told sooner ?

Hi

Had my MRI yesterday and sort of dreading the phone will ring with bad news...I'm guessing that if all is clear then you tend to wait longer for your results but if the MRI does show something I expect they let you know sooner rather than later ? So I'm telling myself 'no news is good news'.
    How long did you guys wait for your first MRI results ?
    Love x

Experienced User
    We are at MRI right now. We will know the results shortly when we see the neuro oncologist abt 9. They even give us a disk to keep so we can look at them at home.

My doc, In Australia calls if he wishes to discuss results and I have to go see him. If I haven't heard in a few days I know all is ok but I make an appointment anyway to get them in case I fell through the cracks.
    Aussie, age 58
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Super Moderator Top User
    Man, it bothers me that some places wait so long between the MRI and the appt. Our doctor always sees us immediately afterward and even then the wait while he shuts the door seems very long.

I'd think if it was an emergency situation, eg if they discovered something they thought needed surgery, they'd tend to call you, yes.

Regular User
    When I had my first MRI the radiologist wouldn't even let me drive home. They ended up telling me what they found and I had to find a ride home. Not sure if that kind of care is like that everywhere, I hope so.

Experienced User
    When my son had his MRI we were told immediately--before he even left the hospital. They wouldn't let him drive as well. They said he was a seizure risk.

I've heard this same story with others who had tumors. Almost everyone I know who had a tumor was told within hours.

However, there are probably exceptions.

I hope this means GOOD news for you. Not knowing is very tough. I had a biopsy of a thyroid tumor a few years ago and had to wait for the results. It turned out to be benign.

Arleen

It took about a week after the MRI when I first found out about the tumor. That time is the radiologist reading the results and writing the report and then my GP getting the results and contacting me. This is before we knew anything was wrong. The results then got sent to the neuro surgeon and that is when found out what it likely was.

Now I am under the care of an oncologist and my MRI is in the same place as the doctor. She knows what is looking for and pulls up my MRIís about 30minutes after they are complete to look at them. The last 2 times my MRIís have been good.

From my experience the time from MRI to notification has not been a good thing. My dad however who have a grade IV tumor was in surgery the day after his MRI. So in this case it would seem if you have something major going on you might find out results sooner.

I think you are naturally worried and concerned and all of this is over whelming your mind. I understand. I am on pins and needles when I am waiting for and MRI resultótypically for a few weeks before as well. Itís normal to question everything and guess what the silence means but you can also drive yourself crazy for no good reason too. Try to relax and do the things you enjoy most. Know these things do take time especially when they donít know exactly what they ae looking for. I think the waiting is the hardest part to know once that is over at least you can get moving on whatever it is.

I hope you are able to find some time to relax. If you donít hear your results, or donít have an appointment scheduled to do so, in a week I would call the referring physician and see what the hold up it. I always give things a week before I start calling.

Super Moderator Top User
    That's what I was thinking--that if they thought she had a GBM, she'd probably be in surgery by now.

Experienced User
    I should mention that we saw the doc about 9 and all is good. No sign of the the tumor.

Great news glad to here it!!

josh

Regular User
    Thanks for all of your replies x

Great news Ken, glad to hear this x

I think the earliest I will hear is Wednesday whether good news or bad news as our Neurology outpatients is only open on Wednesdays. The Consultant did say for us to ring his secretary on the Tuesday after the scan so he could look at the pictures on the Wednesday and then he would either call me or write me.
    I am a little worried ( well more than a little ) as he did go on to say that the results may be inconclusive which would mean I would be sent for a Lumbar Puncture at another hospital which my husband said he is just preparing me in case, but I'm thinking he does suspect something.
    I now have permanent floaters in front of both eyes, the left worse so feel that this 3 month headache may be damaging my eyes also. And since having the scan the headache seems even worse. The Amitryptiline doesn't seem to do anything, my pain relief is giving me no pain relief so trying to forget about it and carrying on as normal is hard as I really don't feel well : (
    Anyway, if I don't hear Wednesday by phone at least I know it's nothing serious but I just hope they do find out what is causing me to feel so ill soon, so I can enjoy the things I do love doing and enjoy being a mum again.
    Love to all x

Experienced User
    Sometimes it can be a couple of weeks for me between having my MRI and seeing my Oncologist for the results. The reason being I have my scans at a different hospital, in fact the same Neurology Institute where I had my surgery thus the appointments are made by different people. So far, the results have all been good though so I've never found out if they would call me were something wrong and hope I don't have to any time soon!

+ Reply to Thread