A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lump on left side of neck

Newbie New User

lump on left side of neck

my dad died at the age of 41 from lymphoma' my mother has anaplastic large cell lymphoma.

three weeks ago i found a lump on the left bottom side of my neck the size of a pea.
    I am worried about the family history. My family doctor tends to not listen to patients

(my mom has the same doctor who did not listen to her three weeks later she had a small bowel rupture at whuch time they foundf lymphoma)

should i take a wait and see approach?

Hi janet and welcome. I don't think you should take a wait and see approach given your family history. Read JoePet's post on this board regarding advice to patients without a diagnosis, it should help you. Consider finding a new doctor, request a referral to a hematologist, do what is necassary to get a definitive diagnosis or peace of mind.

That's my take...good luck.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Janet, with the family history, it is something that will not allow you to have peace of mind until you know. My dad and two of his sisters all perished to cancer - one aunt before I was born, which would have put her in her early 20s. I found a single node behind an ear, and went to the doctor as soon as an appointment became available. However, the vast majority of causes for reactive lymph nodes are not cancer. Yet, you do have that history. Lacking any other symptoms, it may not be anything to worry about, but you will not know until professional eyes have a look. Let us pray that it is just doing its job against some common virus.
    07/08 DX Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma - NOS, stage 4B. >50 tumors + BMI.
    08/08-12/08 4 cycles CHOEP + 4 cycles GND.
    02/09 PET confirms relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin. NED for 64 (28 day) cycles.
    07/13 Second relapse with numerous auto-immune symptoms.
    08/13 "re-induction" of Romidepsin.
    02/14 Treatment stopped - lack of response. Nodes resolve spontaneously.
    09/14 Nodes appear suddenly.
    10/03/14 Axillary node biopsy
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Symptoms worsened.
    10/13/14 Third relapse confirmed by biopsy. Bone marrow clear. I now officially have AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma.
    10/25/14 Entered trial of Alisertib (MLN8237)
    11/10/14 Tumors seem to be regressing.
    Currently in my 5th treatment regimen and 11th drug.

"What is faith? It is that which gives substance to our hopes, which convinces us of things we cannot see" Hebrews 11:1

I agree with the others, Janet. It may very well be nothing but best to make sure.
    Aussie, age 58
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Hi Janet, I have NHFL. I had swollen lymph nodes that 2 different doctors assured me were nothing to worry about, which delayed my diagnosis by 3 years, and I am stage 4 now. Several months ago my Daughter found a fairly large lymph node on her neck. I told her to tell her doctor that I have lymphoma and that she wants a biopsy, and not to let them put her off. She did and thankfully the biopsy showed no cancer. BUT a biopsy on a lymph node is not an invasive surgery, it's out-patient, and with your family history, your doctor should have no problem ordering one. As others have said, you do need to get it checked out. My Daughter's was swollen as a natural response to an infection, and yours may very well be too. Best wishes to you, and do post and let us know what you find out.
    69 yr. old female, retired
    Diagnosed NH Follicular Lymphoma 2/11/2011
    Upgraded to Stage 4
    5-6 nodes on left side of neck, 2 on right side
    biopsy left neck node: grade 1-2
    radiation not an option
    bone marrow: positive
    small tumors abdomen
    currently doing W & W approach
    TRUSTING IN MY AWESOME SAVIOR - DAY BY DAY
    Blessed w/ loving supportive family
    Grieving the loss of my Mother/best friend