A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spontaneous Remission of Glioblastoma Tumors

Newbie New User

Question Spontaneous Remission of Glioblastoma Tumors

Has anyone on this forum ever experienced a spontaneous remission of their tumor(s)? Has anyone here had a recurrence of their tumor after remission?

My ex-husband was diagnosed with three malignant brain tumors after a needle biopsy in 1990 and was given a 30% chance to live with surgery. He cannot remember what type of brain tumor these tumors were. His doctor at the time wanted to be paid up front in cash when discussing surgery since he had no insurance. He got mad and stormed out of her office and did not have the surgery, chemotherapy or radiation treatment of any kind. He went about his daily life and kept a positive outlook. After two years, he thought it wise to go to another doctor for a second opinion. The new doctor had already received the prior MRI from the first doctor and performed a second MRI and then discovered when comparing the two MRIs that his tumors had gone away on their own.

It is now 20 years later and Mark had another follow-up MRI in June of 2011. The tumors are back, almost in the exact location. He is NOT going to have surgery, radiation or chemotherapy treatment. He is going on a totally organic diet and cutting out sugar (see 60 minutes recent episode "Is Sugar Toxic" with Sanjay Gupta) and plans on juicing his way to health. He believes with support, his immune system can once again beat this.

Any feedback would help.
    Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
    Last edited by smillsbc; 04-19-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Super Moderator Top User
    That's great that your husband has survived so long with what the doctors believed at the time was glioblastoma multiforme. Without a biopsy, they can't have known for sure, and it may have been a lower grade tumor.

No, I have never heard of this happening with anyone else. The median survival time for glioblastoma without treatment is three months.

I'm sorry to hear the tumors have returned.

I'm very much of the opinion that sugar does feed cancer cells. Others, including the American Cancer Society, disagree.

Our bodies stop cancer cells all the time, but once a tumor has developed, the body's first-line defenses have already failed and are fighting an uphill battle. While I'm not sure radiation is that great, surgery where possible is the best way to reduce the number of cancer cells the fastest. And Temodar, which wasn't around 20 years ago, has only minor side effects in most people.

Best of luck to you.

Newbie New User
    Thanks, GBMsibling! After questioning Mark further about what type of tumor he had, he can't remember. I may be wrong in assuming they were Glioblastoma Multiforme tumors. Whatever type they were, they went away on their own and now they are back. He is undergoing further testing to find out the type and grade. He did have a needle biopsy which the doctor diagnosed as malignant.

Thanks again for your input.

Moderator Top User
    20 yrs survival without any treatment was almost certainly not a GBM, but lower grade tumours, probably not even malignant.

However lower grade tumours can develop into GBMs, and it would be wise to check it out properly.

The conventional treatment for GBMs is not exactly a roaring success, but for those who place their faith in "organic" treatments alone Steve Jobs is an object lesson. Pancreatic cancer is normally as deadly as GBMs, but he had a rare and curable type - but he rejected conventional therapy. And he died.

Moderator Senior User
    If your husband had Glioblastoma Multiforme in three locations and has survived for 20 years with zero treatment, he is an extremely lucky man. I hope that his luck continues to hold.
    31-year-old agnostic survivor of low-grade oligo-astrocytoma, diagnosed 6/17/11.
    I maintain the Ramblings of a Traitorous Mind blog as a chronicle of my battle with cancer and my related reflections.

Newbie New User

A big "thank you" to everyone who took the time to reply!

Thanks so much for all of your comments and suggestions. Mark is, indeed, a fortunate man to have beat cancer once. I'm hopeful that he can do it again. He is battling two additional diseases in his body in addition to the cancer. He was disabled in 2002 due to RA and later he was diagnosed with Charcot-Marie-Tooth, Type 2 (defective "axon" causes atrophy of leg and arm muscles). I know all of you are suffering or have suffered with this horrible disease. I don't know why these things happen to good people. I pray to God that all of you be healed of your cancer and that God will bless each and every one of you.

God bless and thanks again.

Newbie New User

Update on my ex-husband's tumors...

My ex-husband and I went to see his primary doctor today and it turns out that Mark had got it wrong. The "spots" that show up on the MRI he had on 6/11/2011 are "ischemic changes" and nothing more. NO TUMORS. I feel so bad to have posted this thread when all along he did not have a recurrence of his tumors that spontaneously remitted over 20 years ago.

Please accept my apology and I sincerely pray that all of you here will receive a healing in the same way as he did. I really mean that. God be with you all and thank you for responding to my misguided post.

Super Moderator Top User
    Well it doesn't sound like he ever had glioblastoma in the first place, so I'm not sure he received a healing, but thanks for your good wishes and I'm glad to hear all is well.

+ Reply to Thread