A few days before my 30th birthday I was diagnosed with stage one cancer. On my birthday, March 26, I started taking Megace. The medicine makes me feel completely awful. I get nauseous easily, and the amount of sleep I get is never consistent. (neither make teaching preschool any easier.) And recently I've started bleeding to death. (not sure if that's the meds fault). My doctor wants to do another D&C 6 weeks earlier then we originally planned. My boss keeps giving me a hard time about the date of the procedure because it makes staffing tricky that day. Oh, and now I have Strep...
My family keeps encouraging me to go ahead and have a hysterectomy. (cancer scares the crap out of my siblings, our father and grandmother both died of cancer in their late 30's). It's such a big decision, and I'm not sure what I want. I'm in no position to start having children. I'm not even sure I want to.
Holly what a hard decision. before you decide on a hysterectomy be absolutely positive you dont want children. should your health problem become a greater concern- you need to do what is best for you. children all over the world need to be adopted . thats always an option. There is also to consider altho women over 40 are having children and you could very well down the line want to there is a greater risk to you/ the child then(not that it cant be done). I think you need to be the decision maker on this one (not what your family wants) input is good but its your life and your final decision that matters.
April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
starting a regimine of celebrex
aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
Hi Holly30. So sorry that you have to deal with this at such a young age. Having the hysterectomy sure would solve a lot of problems. But of course, there's that one issue about having children... I can understand not wanting to give up on that possibility. I'm afraid I don't know anything at all about what risks are involved in delaying the hysterectomy. I think I'd be pretty nervous about waiting, especially if you don't have any immediate plans for having a baby, but again, I am really not familiar with the treatment options for those who want to have children. Maybe others who have dealt with this can chime in. All the best to you, whatever you decide.
stage 1 (10% penetration of myometrium), grade 2
daVinci hysterectomy March 2011
No further treatment. Feeling great!