A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Losing Hair weeks after Chemo/Radiation

Senior User

Losing Hair weeks after Chemo/Radiation

Does your hair continue to fall out a month after finishing chemo/radiation? My friend only lost a little hair on the sides during her treatment. She finished the last one on April 9th....now she just got over PCP in the hospital and her hair is coming out in clumps. We thought she was going to be lucky and not loose it all, but looks like not! Is this normal (I know dumb questions..what's normal with GBM!)?

Regular User
    My husband lost all his hair in like a day. He had been doing his chemo and radiation for a couple weeks. We have an eight year old boy and I have been completely honest with him but only giving him info on a as needed basis. One day Sam went to school and by the time he came home my husband had huge bald patches all over his head. It had come out in chuncks all day. I thought it would come out slowly. So I had to explain to Sam rather quickly why his Daddy lost his hair. Dave mom came up the next day and shaved it for him. It then looked better.

So I would say it is normal from our experience. My hubby has a GBM and he is 40.

I am so sorry about your friend.
    Katie

Sorry I did not see the part about last April I guess that's what I get for reading without my glasses.
    Last edited by kate2kate; 05-08-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Super Moderator Top User
    I don't know-- I think it is more normal to lose it a few weeks into the radiation, and then stop losing it after the radiation is over. However, it does sound like a delayed reaction really.

I would agree with GBM sibling on this. I lost all of mine in a 12 hr period after radiation treatment #14. the right side is back in full grow mode, the left side is peach fuzz still. My eyelashes fell out about 2 months ago and are not back.

Senior User
    Wow....amazing how everyone is different with the same treatment! We did go wig and scarf shopping when she first started the treatment as the doc said she would be bald by the third Friday....but that didn't happen! He was surprised, too!

Josh, I didn't even think about eyelashes or any other "hair"! That's not a problem, though (at least for women), we can always get her some fake eyelashes!

@Katie...so sorry your hubby is going through this! Prayers for all of you!

The funny thing too is my left leg is mostly bald too and I was hairy as an ape. However to make up for that hair loss, my eye brows and nose hair grow like a weed. my finger nails are also in hyperspeed of growth. my 11 year old daughter thinks its so funny I let her paint my toe nails. She does a great job and the look i get from strangers just makes it that much more funny

Senior User
    OMG, Josh, you are tooooooo funny! I'm getting a visual of a man with bright pink toenails and LMAO!!! What a wonderful Daddy you are!

Experienced User
    My GF started loosing her hair almost two weeks to the day since she began radiation treatments. It came out in bunches. She finished radiation on Oct. 25th but her hair has not completely came back yet where most of the radiation was concentrated.

Moderator Top User
    My wife was told she would lose hair in patches on the affected (left) side - in fact all except a small rim round the base came out over two days in week 3 of the chemo/radio course. A month later, a fine fuzz is starting to regrow.

She doesn't like wigs, and with her right arm not working can't tie head scarves. So it is a nifty selection of knitted bonnets, and hats.

Newbie New User

Is this normal?

My girlfriend was diagnosed with Oligodendroglioma which affects 3 parts of her brain. She had me shave her head because she said that her radiologist told her to shave it before coming into the office for treatment. She did one round of chemo and radiation and then had to stop abruptly. She is now treating again and has been treating both chemo and radiation for the last 3 months. She goes Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings when I am away at work. She continues to shave her head about every three days because if she doesn't ALL of her hair begins to grow back. She has not experienced any hair loss whatsoever. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by DebinFL View Post
    Does your hair continue to fall out a month after finishing chemo/radiation? My friend only lost a little hair on the sides during her treatment. She finished the last one on April 9th....now she just got over PCP in the hospital and her hair is coming out in clumps. We thought she was going to be lucky and not loose it all, but looks like not! Is this normal (I know dumb questions..what's normal with GBM!)?
    I only had radiation (no chemo) but my hair started falling off during the weeks of the treatment and did not continue falling off afterwards.

Newbie New User
    Everyone seems to be different with hair loss. I was diagnosed with stage 4 head and neck cancer with metastasis to lymph nodes and received chemo via medi-port and 6-1/2 weeks (33) radiation treatments. I am now 4 months out from completion of radiation and I am still losing my hair. It has only thinned and along the bottom of the hairline it is starting to grow back. Has anyone else experienced this type of hair loss this long after their final chemo and radiation treatments and if so how long before it stops falling out??

Regular User
    I never lost any hair from chemo; I was on it for seven months, beginning with 140 and ending with 400, all oral, and I have enough body hair to weave a rug. The only hair I lost was along my left temple, where my tumor was located, and that was from the proton radiation. If the hair doesn't grow back I may just dye the patch and call it my "racing stripe"

+ Reply to Thread