A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Father diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer Stage 4

Newbie New User

Father diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer Stage 4

I'm just joining this forum. My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 a few weeks ago. He has a larger tumor in his esophagus and the cancer has moved to his lymph nodes. He had a feeding tube put in 2 weeks ago and is not dealing well with that. He started chemo today but the doc's say his tumor is inoperable. What can we expect?

Newbie New User
    Another question. It seems as though a lot people are getting a chemo treatment once a week for 6 weeks. They are giving my dad chemo every day this week and then 28 days off. What would be the reason they are doing it this way? Any help, advice would be appreciated.

Newbie New User

Stage 4 survivor here

To You and Your Dad:
    I was a 52 year old father when on 12/9/2003 I was told I had stage 4 adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and that my condition was inoperable. They told me to go home and "put your things in order." We found a cinical trial at the Winship Cancer Institute in Atlanta and I had weekly chemo and daily radiation for 6 weeks. The tumor shrunk by 50% and the surgeon said he'd give it a shot. Radical esophagectomy and removal of 20+ lymph nodes. I celebrated the 8th anniversary of my surgery on April 1. Today I'm good as new and almost as strong as before the cancer. Do not give up. Do not let fear rule your mind. Do not be angry; you weren't given cancer and it's not some part of a mysterious "plan." It is just a lousy part of life. It's long odds but it can be beaten. You'll never know if you can beat it if you don't try. In my opinion, the more aggressive your treatment plan the better chance you have to survive. It'll make you really sick but you can do it.

Newbie New User
    I think the spirit is also a therapy during this period. please encourage him

Link removed from signature as per Forum Policy, please read and comply.
    Last edited by Kermica; 05-22-2012 at 03:05 AM.
    Mobile Web Browsers for CANCER STAGING | CANCER CURE | CANCER RESEARCH

Newbie New User
    My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer in February. Doctors say no organ metastasis but lesions in all his bones. Very backwards compared to most. All testing including MRI's, CT's, PET SCANS, every lab test known to man, water fed tumor MRI"S were all negative. He had 10 radiation treatment to the really badly eaten vertebrae in his back, and is now doing chemo every other week. He is getting 3 different chemo drugs. He hasn't had any pain pills since the day before he started chemo. He is back to work moving dirt with big machinery. He got a fungus in his throat a week after radiation that caused him to lose 25lbs, but if it wasn't for that you would not know he was sick. No trouble swallowing, eating or any other normal symptoms. Don't give up hope!! You will make yourself crazy reading OUTDATED material on-line. The doctors are totally amazed by how good he looks and feels. MIRACLES do happen! People do survive! PRAY! PRAY! PRAY...PRAYERS do work!!

+ Reply to Thread