A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My father passed away today at 11:55 am

Newbie New User

Unhappy My father passed away today at 11:55 am

I have only made a couple of posts, but wanted to let you all know that my father (Kenneth Lewis Hardeman from Pelham, Alabama) passed away today at 11:55 am. He passed peacefully in his sleep. My heart aches more than it ever has in my life, but I'm comforted to know that he is no longer suffering, and that he is with my mother now. Diagnosed with lung met to brain cancer on April 18th, 2012, passed away on May 31st, 2012. My heart is in a million pieces, but I'm comforted to know that he passed away peacefully in his sleep, he is no longer in any pain or suffering and he's in a place so beautiful beyond our imagination and he's also reunited with my mother and what a beautiful reunion it must be.

May you Rest In Peace my wonderful father. You made my life complete. God blessed me greatly when he picked me to be your daughter.

"Tonight there is one more star in the sky,
    There is one more angel to watch over someone who needs them
    And one more person left this earth because God said it's time to.
    Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality." ~ Emily Dickinson
    Last edited by pegasus593; 06-01-2012 at 04:02 AM.
    04/18/12-Father diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer with met to brain.
    05/12/12-Release from rehab/physical therapy. All motor skills are declining.
    05/31/12-My father passed away at 11:55 am.

Pegasus593, I am sorry to hear about your father's passing. I think your tribute to him in your postings expresses strongly the love that you both felt for each other. Peaceful thoughts to you and your family.

Newbie New User
    Thank you Spouse. I don't know why or for what reason other than cancer that is affecting you or someone you love. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are also with you and your family.

Pegasus593 (aka) Kellie

Senior User
    Oh my....I don't think you left anything to say! What a tribute!!! My heart is in a million pieces for you. I have been where you are, and I am praying so hard for you! I am so sorry you are going thru this! God bless you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus593 View Post
    Thank you Spouse. I don't know why or for what reason other than cancer that is affecting you or someone you love. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are also with you and your family.

Pegasus593 (aka) Kellie
    Thanks, I can always use good thought and prayers! (My husband is a stage IV lung cancer patient, inoperable.) But there is good news, he is feeling pretty darn good, despite having his 5th round of chemo, other than the expected fatigue on certain days post meds.

Which makes me appreciate all the more the sudden loss that you had with your dear father. You show great composure and a truly thoughtful soul that you can think of others right now. Best wishes.

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Kellie, I am so sorry to hear about your Father's passing. I know I found comfort in the fact that my Dad had been reunited with my Mom, but still I missed him terribly. My heart goes out to you as you begin your new life without your Dad. Your tribute and poem for your Dad touched my heart and you should be proud that you took such special care of him when he needed you the most. He was blessed to have you as a daughter as I'm sure you feel blessed that he was your Dad. Take care of yourself and come back to talk whenever you need to. God Bless.
    Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Senior User
    Kellie, I am sorry to hear about your Father's passing. I know to well how you are feeling as my own father just passed 2 months ago from Stage IV Lung Cancer. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you begin your new journey. Laura
    71 year old Father diagnosed 2/2/2012 with Stage IV Lung Cancer NSCS with METS to the Brain, spine, bones, Adrenal Glands, Lymph Nodes, Liver, Pancreas, omentum.

Heart Attack 2/19/2012
    Whole Brain Radiation and Radiation to the Spine 2/27/2012 completed 15 sessions on 3/16/2012
    Heart Attack 3/10/2012

Passed away 3/26/2012[/B] I love you dad, you will be missed.

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...IV-Lung-Cancer

I am so sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace. Sending prayers to you and your family.
    Deb
    Husband, James, (60) dx with Non-Small Squamous Cell lung cancer,4-10-12. Copd, Afib and went through Respiratory failure November 2011.

Me, Debbie, (49) dx Stage IIIA breast cancer 10/1/07.. Grade 2, 1/3 lymph nodes +, ER/PR + Her2 -. Had left modified radical mastectomy, TAC chemo and 5 years Tamoxifen. Currently no evidence of disease. Disabled with Idiopathic Gastroparesis and have a Gastric pacemaker inserted. Also dx with Hyperaldosteronism.

Our new motto: one day at a time...

Senior User
    My thoughts are with you, take care.

Lori

Regular User
    So sorry for your loss.
    20 March 2012 Dad diagnosed with 5.9cm Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm and on 20 April 2012 NSCLC Adenocarcinoma Stage IV . 23rd May AAA endovascular repair. 31st May begun chemo Alimta and Cisplatin.

So so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. God Bless.
    79 year old Mom diagnosed: 12/21/11
    Adenocarcinoma - NSCLC
    Stage IIIA - T4 N1 M0 on 12/21/11
    With Vertebral Involvement
    Stage IIIB - on 6/20/12
    Pet/MRI: No mets outside left lung 1/15/12 and 6/8/12
    Treatment: Alimta/Carboplatin combo on 6/27/12
    Stopped Chemo - (no changes) 8/2012
    Met her Great-Grandson! born 1/18/13
    2/2/13: Health starting to decline, weak/frail.
    Taking Ativan for anxiety, Roxinol for breathing, Steroid Prednisone
    2/27/13: Started Hospice Care. On Oxygen

Newbie New User
    Thank you all for all your wonderful words of comfort, thoughts and prayers. You are all truly beautiful people and I will continue to stay on The Cancer Forums, as I hope one day after some time has passed in me getting through my grief, that I can be of help to others as you have all been to me.

Kellie

Dear Kellie

So sorry to read that your Dad passed away so quickly, I read your thread in coping and could indentify with your questions here, as our Father's were diagnosed close to each other, and of a similar stage.

I hope I am as brave as you are being, when our time comes. I think the other thing we have in common is that we are both very proud of our Dad's.

Big hugs

Molly

Kellie,

Sorry to hear about your father.
    I'm 26 Female Caregiver to 71yo. Mom on PD dialysis
    Lung Cancer diagnosed 2/10/2012
    Squamous Cell Lung Carcinoma 3b (4.7cm) 3/14/2012
    Start low dose Chemo 3/21/12 every wk for 7 wks. & 2 hi dose 3wks
    Start Radiation 7 wks.
    Switch PDialysis to Hemo. 3times wk/4.5hrs. each
    Hospitalized 3 diff. weeks. double infection, hemorg,pneumonia,cong.heart failure.
    NED 6/21/12
    Switch Hemo. to PDialysis
    Entire lung recur 9/26/12
    Every other scan is opposite.
    She feels GREAT so that's what counts!

Kellie, I miss my daddy like you. I'm sad that they had to go and glad they will be there to greet me when I get there. a
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

Regular User
    Kellie,

I am sorry for your loss.

+ Reply to Thread