A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Left Foot and Leg Swelling

Senior User

Left Foot and Leg Swelling

Hi Guys and girls,
    husband Duke, GBM left frontal lobe has left foot and leg swelling. It's to the point of causing him some discomfort, but water pill, which the hospice nurse does not think will work in his case, would cause him to have to pee a lot and I'm afraid he could not get up and down fast enough to bathroom. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
    Things are getting tougher here. Hope everyone is hanging in,
    Joan

Super Moderator Top User
    Joan, do you think Dex is causing this? Seems like I've heard of Dex causing leg swelling. I guess he has to be on Dex at this point though, so that's not much help...
    They don't think it could be a clot?

Senior User
    The hospice nurse does not think it's a clot. Duke has been virtually pain free throughout this entire ordeal. This is the first time he has complained of pain, not throbbing though. He is getting sooo weak, I just had to help him up off of the toilet.
    This Dex, though I know it can be a lifesaver, sucks. He has a lot of those red bruise like, broken capillary things all over his arms and his face is sooo puffed up.

Super Moderator Top User
    Dex is quite an amazing drug for side effects isn't it. Nothing else we've run into takes anything near the toll Dex does. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for this. Hope someone else does.

Joan, sorry to hear abouts Dukes condition. The only thing I can think of is trying a heat pack on his leg and ankle. It can help a little with swelling and ease the pain a bit

josh

Senior User
    hi joan, my mother had swollen legs and ankles too from the dex and we suspected also from the lack of excerise. she was losing muscle so fast but yet she looked like a puffer fish.

Senior User
    thanks guys,
    trying to keep it elevated, giving back rubs and foot rubs about all i can do.

Moderator Top User
    My wife (GBM 4) has the same, it's a side effect of the dex. What jerseyjbk said, plus wear compression (anti-embolism) stockings. If the leg and especially calf feel hard then get it medically checked - could be a blood clot (increased risk if you have cancer)

+ Reply to Thread