A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly chemo for 87 yr

Senior User
    Hoping your dad gets good results Blu

Jean
    DX July/2012 with one tumour 3.4cm NSCLC squamous cell T2a N0 M0
    Lower left lung lobectomy July 2012

Here's what it said..
    Right lobe: Previous mass in right lobe which was 3.7 x 3.9 cm has decreased to 2.5 x 2.1 cm. It's SUV max is currently 2.5 , previously 40.0
    Left lobe: Ground glass infiltrate SUV mass is currently 2.9 previously 3.1.
    Prior PET /CT scan showed focal activity in the mediastinum associated with borderline enlarged pretracheal and right suprahilar lymph nodes. Currently these lymph nodes are not enlarged by CT size criteria and aren't significantly FDG-avid.
    No additional malignancies.

Favorable response to interim therapy.

They want him to have 4 rounds of chemo at one per week for 4-week intervals. There will be a scan in between each round. This is though April.
    Any impressions and what is the SUV business?

Thanks for any insight.
    87(now 88!)yr old Dad diagnosed 7/12 w NSC squamous lung cancer w small lymph node involved,1 large tumor 4 CM & some small. Stage 3
    Phase 1 :Chemo 7/12 -6 wks Carboplatin/Taxol
    Hospitalized 4 days after first chemo.
    Concurrent Radiation-every day M-F
    Scan Oct 24- large tumor shrunk ,small gone.
    Phase 2:chemo started first week Nov. Allergic reaction,chemo changed.
    Just Taxol. 3 weeks on/1 off.
    Finished 4 rounds.(12) 2/7/13 now 2 mo off & then a Pet scan.
    4/10/13 pet scan :Good results - tumor granulized or something.
    7/10/13 CT scan shows no negative changes !
    3 months off with intermittent bloodwork then Pet scan end of Oct.
    Oct scan showed an area near original tumor which they'd like to keep an eye on so scheduled scan in Dec.
    Brain CT and Brain MRI . No mets.
    Next scan March 22. Pet scan base of skull to thigh. Results- no negative changes!
    He died 4/10/14 from dementia .
    Go dad go!!

Blu,

I'm no expert but I would be very happy if what happened to his RL mass happens to me at the end of my initial treatment.

As for the SUV it has to do with the amount of sugar uptake. Lower the number the better.

It sounds real good.
    mike
    At the time - 46 yo male, non-smoker
    Sept 2012 - DX - One tumor NSCLC Squamous Cell Right Upper Lung
    Oct 2012 - TX - Treatment similar to Pancoast Tumor - Pre-operation radiation and chemo (5.5 weeks of IGRT and 3 cycles of Cisplatin and Etoposide)
    Dec 2012 - Surgery - Remove RUL, Surgical Pathology Report Adenocarcinoma T2N0M0
    Now - Wait, watch, & pray

Blu, I'm no expert on this at all. I would ask the doctor to explain it in terms your dad and you can understand. But it sounds good to me.

SUV means "standardized uptake value," and low SUVs are wonderful. For the PET scan, they have the patient fast so all the cells in the body are hungry for glucose. Then they inject a tiny amount of radioactive glucose called FDG. Cancer cells are very greedy, so they grab more than their fair share of the radioactive glucose. The scanner takes a picture of everything in the area scanned and shows the radioactivity as glowing areas. It also does a CT scan at the same time, so you end up with a PET scan showing which areas are glowing laid over a CT scan showing the size and position of everything. Ordinary healthy tissue has only taken in a little bit of the glucose, and the brightness of their glow is set as "standard uptake." Things glowing a little brighter than that could be cancer but could also be infection or some sort of inflammation. They're mostly looking for things that glow very, very bright. "FDG avid" tissues are gobbling up the glucose fast.

So the scan is saying the first mass shrank in size and it has an SUV of 2.5, which is what they usually give as a very rough cutoff point between probably benign (less than 2.5) and probably malignant (more than 2.5). Was it really 40.0 before? -- Could that be a typo? - maybe it was 4.0 before? Either way the treatments really knocked it down. And the glowing areas they saw before in the mediastinum aren't glowing anymore -- that area looks normal to the PET scan and the CT scan says the lymph nodes there have shrunk to normal size. I would take all of that as really good news.

I don't understand what they're saying about the "ground glass infiltrate" in the left lobe. I guess maybe the numbers they give there are the SUV? - but maybe they're giving the size. I really can't tell. I would ask the doctor.

There's an article here about PET scans which shows some good pictures of what the scan sees. http://www.engin.umich.edu/class/ner...r-PETintro.pdf

It sounds to me like he's accomplished a lot!
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking. 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo. Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles; Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles. Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avstin - 1year. April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.

The dr was very encouraged. My dads bummed about more since he just got to feeling a little more like himself. I pep talked him on the phone . His first chemo is tomorrow. He'll see the radiologist Friday .
    He has 3 chemo them a week off for 4 cycles.
    Thanks for the explanations!
    87(now 88!)yr old Dad diagnosed 7/12 w NSC squamous lung cancer w small lymph node involved,1 large tumor 4 CM & some small. Stage 3
    Oct scan showed an area near original tumor which they'd like to keep an eye on so scheduled scan in Dec.
    Next scan March 22. Pet scan base of skull to thigh. Results- no negative changes!
    Go dad go!!

Super Moderator Top User
    Great news Blu....thanks for sharing. God Bless.

Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Blu,
    This is really good news, I pray it continues and that chemo goes easy on him. God bless, Cheri
    Cheyenne
    Care giver to mom 75, Pet scan 6/8/12, Biopsy 6/13/12. Diag squamous cell NSCLC stage IV 6/18/11. Contracted shingles 7/2/12, MRI brain scan CLEAR 7/5/12, Pet scan 8/10/12 tumors have grown right lung more collapsed, 8/14/12 hosp coughing up blood, 8/16/12 Ct scan blood clots located, 8/17/12 Broncoscopy removed blood clot in airway, right lung 3/4 collapsed w/ large tumor, blood clot did not want to disturb. Chemo 8/27/12 taxol & carboplatin. Chemo 9/19/12, Pet scan 9/25/12. 9/25/12 Pet scan, slight decrease in size of tumors. 10/10/12 Chemo. 10/31/12 Chemo. Pet scan 11/23/12 slight decrease of all tumors, 2 months off. Full body scan scheduled for 1/29/13.

Senior User
    Blu, this is fantastic news. I am so happy to hear he is responding to the chemo. That was great of you to give him the pep talk and encourage him. He is definitely a fighter. I will continue to pray that we continue to hear good news from you. Take care. Anj
    Caregiver to mom, 64 Ovarian Cancer Remission since 1997.
    6/19/12 Annual blood work - CA125 came back elevated.
    6/21/12 CT abdomen, RUL 2.8cm spot, LLL 5mm spot, lt. adrenal gland mass 8.3cm, rt. adrenal gland mass 4.6 cm.,
    6/28/12 Brain MRI-Clear,
    6/29/12 Lung Biopsy=Stage 4 NSCLC.
    7/11, 8/3, 8/23, 9/13/12 Chemo (Carb/Alimta).
    CT Scan 10/4/12 1 of 4 tumors decreased. 20% Kidney function. Blood transfusion
    10/9/12. Mets to liver.
    12/11 chemo (carb/taxotere) continued thru March.
    March 27, 2013. Told no more chemo, cancer now in the brain, to call out Hospice. Set up hospice March 31, 2013. Mom passed April 12, 2013. She will always be in my heart, never forgotten and always loved. May we reunite soon....after only a temporary separation!

Today was dad's first chemo . He went to the radiologist and found out no more radiation for now!
    Just chemo . He sounded better today .
    Go dad go!!

Senior User
    Blu, that's good to hear that he sounded better. Hope it stays that way for a long time for you.

Linda
    Lindahun/Summerfield, FL