A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
Closed Thread

Thread: Essiac tea and Apricot Seeds

Newbie New User

Essiac tea and Apricot Seeds

First I would like to say I am doing research on behalf of my grandfather. He is stubborn refuses conventional medicine; however, has opted for chemo. He has stage IV cancer through various parts of his body.

I am trying to be open-minded and attempting to research alternative treatments in hopes he will try something that could help him.

My first question is regarding Essiac Tea. I see many sites that have it most all indicate beware of fakes. WHERE ON EARTH IS A GOOD PLACE TO BUY THIS to where I won't buy fake stuff?

My second question is regarding apricot seeds. I bought a crap ton of these seeds and they should be in any day now. I purchased from nuts.com in bulk. I hear all this clamor online about cyanide poisoning. I hear no more than one see and hour. I am leaning toward believing the cyanide poisoning to potentially be a bunch of BS personally, but do not know what to believe. I will read one minute the cyanide poisoning is legit then the next minute turn around and read that the cyanide poisoning is BS dreamed up by fear mongers. I am sure after this thread and replies I still will not know what to believe. I read where there have only been two documented deaths from apricots, but then again who knows this information could be fabricated.

For God sake I do not want to kill my grandfather by feeding him seeds. I will error on the side of caution and recommend 5 seeds a day and spread them out. If he is up for it go to 7 seeds a day and again spread them out.

My grandfather is about 100lbs so he is not doing so good as he is very frail looking. Gosh I hate cancer.

Hello. I have moved your post to the Complementary forum.
    This forum only supports conventional treatments.
    There are many other forums out there that promote alternatives but most have been studied and proved useless.
    Please read back through the pages here.
    Here are a couple of things to start you off.

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...ments-to-Avoid

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...en-not-to-work

I would seriously encourage you to google and read scientific reviews on any Aternatives you wish him to try.
    Be aware too that many can interfere with chemo and many can be dangerous.
    We all wish there was some magic cure but at this time there is not.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Apricot pits do contain cyanide, and yes, cyanide can kill. http://www.bordeninstitute.army.mil/...Pg_371-410.pdf

I'm sure you want to help your grandfather, but this is really not the way. How about reading up on the type of cancer he has and the type of chemo he's receiving? You might be able to find a lot of tips that will help him feel better while letting the chemo do its work. It doesn't sound like a heroic measure, but when you're dealing with a frail, underweight, elderly person one of the most helpful things you can do is help keep him well-hydrated.
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking. 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo. Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles; Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles. Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avstin - 1year. April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.

Here where i live many people come to towns from countryside where apricot seeds (among other foods) are considered as normal food. One such doctor who grew up in the countryside suggested that no apricot seeds should be taken during the halflife of a chemotherapy. He was specific about it and sounded pretty sure.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by decadude View Post
    First I would like to say I am doing research on behalf of my grandfather. He is stubborn refuses conventional medicine; however, has opted for chemo. He has stage IV cancer through various parts of his body.

I am trying to be open-minded and attempting to research alternative treatments in hopes he will try something that could help him.

My first question is regarding Essiac Tea. I see many sites that have it most all indicate beware of fakes. WHERE ON EARTH IS A GOOD PLACE TO BUY THIS to where I won't buy fake stuff?

My second question is regarding apricot seeds. I bought a crap ton of these seeds and they should be in any day now. I purchased from nuts.com in bulk. I hear all this clamor online about cyanide poisoning. I hear no more than one see and hour. I am leaning toward believing the cyanide poisoning to potentially be a bunch of BS personally, but do not know what to believe. I will read one minute the cyanide poisoning is legit then the next minute turn around and read that the cyanide poisoning is BS dreamed up by fear mongers. I am sure after this thread and replies I still will not know what to believe. I read where there have only been two documented deaths from apricots, but then again who knows this information could be fabricated.

For God sake I do not want to kill my grandfather by feeding him seeds. I will error on the side of caution and recommend 5 seeds a day and spread them out. If he is up for it go to 7 seeds a day and again spread them out.

My grandfather is about 100lbs so he is not doing so good as he is very frail looking. Gosh I hate cancer.
    Hello
    if your grandfather is having chemo feeding him poisonous substances on top of this could very well kill him. You MUST talk this over with his treating oncologist not to do so could find you on the wrong side of the law facing a manslaughter charge. Both these treatments are discredited and have been researched and shown to be of no use. The jury has been in on this a long time and both those treatments are a proven waste of time and money.

RE essiac tea most of this originates from Mexico. The amounts of herbs in the samples vary wildly and contaminants from insects to feacal matter have been found in the samples. in short you cannot get a guaranteed pure product as the people that manufacture it usually operate out of primitive manufacturing buildings. this applies whether it comes from Mexico, Canada or even the US
    Iit is obvious that you care very much for your Grandad. Don't make the mistake of thinking that a bit of googling has equipped you to be his doctor as nothing could be further from the truth. Always check with his doctors for everything he takes even vitamins and supplements from reputable pharmaceutical companies.

I wish you grandfather good luck and you take care.
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Newbie New User
    I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I just wanted to throw in what I've experienced with apricot seeds(kernels).

I have a dear friend who is 92 years old and was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer. He decided to try apricot kernels and b17 as an alternative to chemo because even his doctor said he was in too poor of health to try conventional treatment. After 30 days of eating 15 bitter seeds per day and slowly building up to 3 of the 500mg b17 per day his PSA went from 6,000 to 904. In another 30 days (as of one week ago) His PSA is down to 206. He's been drinking Apple Cider Vinegar and not consuming any animal products as well. At 92 years of age and in 60 days, I'd have to say it is quite a miracle. He is getting around very well and says he will continue to eat his bitter apricot kernels everyday.

This has inspired me to do more research on the bitter apricot kernels as well. It seems they do contain a form of cyanide that in theory is only poisonous is very large amounts. He started out with something like 3 with each meal throughout the day. He has never said he felt ill from the seeds or the b17 pills. I imagine with all things, not one alternative is right for all, but that is his experience so far. Here is a site I found very useful for information on the b17/apricot seeds. Link removed per policy

Good luck to you and your grandfather. You're in my prayers.
    Last edited by DebbieC; 08-10-2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Link removed

Jessica.
    This forum is for those who choose conventional treatments, we do not at all promote the use of alternatives as these have not been scientifically proven to work.
    This is not open to discussion here but the use of complementary supplements are..with the proviso that before taking anything to clear it with their oncologist as many substances can badly interact with chemotherapy or with other medications that they are taking.

There are many alternative forums in the net world ( where they do not promote the use of conventional treatments) where I am sure your views would be welcomed.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicalifornia View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I just wanted to throw in what I've experienced with apricot seeds(kernels).

I have a dear friend who is 92 years old and was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer. He decided to try apricot kernels and b17 as an alternative to chemo because even his doctor said he was in too poor of health to try conventional treatment. After 30 days of eating 15 bitter seeds per day and slowly building up to 3 of the 500mg b17 per day his PSA went from 6,000 to 904. In another 30 days (as of one week ago) His PSA is down to 206. He's been drinking Apple Cider Vinegar and not consuming any animal products as well. At 92 years of age and in 60 days, I'd have to say it is quite a miracle. He is getting around very well and says he will continue to eat his bitter apricot kernels everyday.

This has inspired me to do more research on the bitter apricot kernels as well. It seems they do contain a form of cyanide that in theory is only poisonous is very large amounts. He started out with something like 3 with each meal throughout the day. He has never said he felt ill from the seeds or the b17 pills. I imagine with all things, not one alternative is right for all, but that is his experience so far. Here is a site I found very useful for information on the b17/apricot seeds. Link removed per policy

Good luck to you and your grandfather. You're in my prayers.
    Hi I am sorry but a 92 year old should not have their PSA checked, the recommendation is that this is not done for anyone over 80. PSA is always higher in men of that age and at 90 years of age roughly 90% of men have detectbable prostate cancer. You grandfather has an slow PC as most men of his age.

Once again The tea and apricot kernels are discredited and have been studied. This thread is now closed.
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Closed Thread