A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mom just had left frontal lobe tumor removed

Newbie New User

mom just had left frontal lobe tumor removed

Hello everyone,

My mom just had a sizeable mass removed from her left frontal lobe (size of a plum) surgery was successful but she is having speech and reception problems. she repeats things, like when i ask her who i am she say her name judith lewis, she says "just a little bit alott) more words have come withen last couple days but she keeps saying im scarred and im terrified which makes me really worried, i dont even know if all the brain swelling is down yet. doctors say this is normal for this type of surgery. i know im asking a question that cant fully be answered but will she get any better, im scarred and my family is scarred. shes trying to remember today she was struggling saying my name, my sister and my brothers but she remembered. any one else have this surgery and remember being confused i wonder what shes feeling rite now?

Experienced User
    My GF had a LFL tumor removed for the second time last August. I won't blow smoke and tell you everything will be great but her speech has greatly improved. When she first woke up she could not speak at all and for the first couple of weeks she spoke very little and pointed a lot. Her writing ability was worse and her handwriting changed, she now writes very small. She sometimes still has trouble with words, has a very hard time on the phone and if she is nervous. I would not worry too much about your name, I was often referred to by her ex husband's name, especially if I had angered her. It can also be hard to not laugh when they get the wrong word or put two phrases together. She often says "by the way and "you know". One night she said "by the you know way". I still chuckle at that one. We talk a lot now and she still gets mad if I think she has finished when she hasn't and I start to talk. You do have to be patient. There will be lots of keeping quiet and just giving her time to get it out.

Regular User
    Hello. It is understandable that your mom and your family are concerned. My tumor is inoperable due to its location but from what I have read and heard from doctors, some deficits are temporary after surgery of this type. Please be patient with her as she recovers and voice your concerns to her doctors. My very best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Regular User
    That sounds similar to my sister. We were told it was like aphasia. She gets very frustrated talking and sometimes just makes a sound and then gets annoyed. Im guessing your mums having speech therapy?

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    That sounds similar to my sister. We were told it was like aphasia. She gets very frustrated talking and sometimes just makes a sound and then gets annoyed. Im guessing your mums having speech therapy?
    yes she is having speech therapy, ill look up aphasia, there sapose to transfer her to baylor dallas to get full time therapy once she recovers fully from operation. praying for all of you who have posted to this thread, its really scarry im glad i found this website though

Moderator Top User
    My wife's tumour is inoperable, but it first announced its existence with a brain haemorrhage. For a week after this, she could only make unintelligible sounds. Then it all came back in a rush, typically her first word was "no".

She still has wobbles in her speech clarity and getting started speaking - the tumour is near the speech area - but it is infinitely better than after her stroke.

So the message is relax, it is too early to worry. It is most likely bruising and brain swelling from the shock of the surgery rather than damaged speech neurones.

Expressive Aphasia is when one cannot think of the right word; receptive aphasia when one cannot understand; verbal dyspraxia (which my wife had) when the vocal cord muscles won't respond properly and cannot form the words. Ask the speech therapist what she thinks it is.

Newbie New User
    hello ken, thank you for your replie,

does your gf have trouble showing her emotions? does she laugh? get sad, im frightened my mom will never be the same, speech problems i can deal with i just am scarred shes trapped in her mind. i wish i knew how she felt just to be able to help her more. i have seen her smile, but she doesnt laugh or cry, (tears) ?

Newbie New User
    same to you leetledeez i will be praying for you! these replies really help me.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by lboy View Post
    My wife's tumour is inoperable, but it first announced its existence with a brain haemorrhage. For a week after this, she could only make unintelligible sounds. Then it all came back in a rush, typically her first word was "no".

She still has wobbles in her speech clarity and getting started speaking - the tumour is near the speech area - but it is infinitely better than after her stroke.

So the message is relax, it is too early to worry. It is most likely bruising and brain swelling from the shock of the surgery rather than damaged speech neurones.

Expressive Aphasia is when one cannot think of the right word; receptive aphasia when one cannot understand; verbal dyspraxia (which my wife had) when the vocal cord muscles won't respond properly and cannot form the words. Ask the speech therapist what she thinks it is.
    thank you very much for the replie, i will be praying for your wife, this is such a terrible disease, thank you for the definitions, i will research these and bring them up to the speech therapist.

Regular User
    My sister had her surgery on July 11th, and this week she has gotten to the point where she can say "yes" or "no" to questions. It takes alot of concentration on her part, there has to be minimal background noise otherwise she gets distracted. It is very difficult for her brain to think of the word "yes" or "no", just to give you some insight. She is having speech therapy daily, we think she can understand us if we speak slowly and give her time to process what we are saying but if there is alot of ppl talking in her room, we dont think she can catch on to what we are saying, we think it just sounds like a blur to her. Keep posting and keep us updated

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    My sister had her surgery on July 11th, and this week she has gotten to the point where she can say "yes" or "no" to questions. It takes alot of concentration on her part, there has to be minimal background noise otherwise she gets distracted. It is very difficult for her brain to think of the word "yes" or "no", just to give you some insight. She is having speech therapy daily, we think she can understand us if we speak slowly and give her time to process what we are saying but if there is alot of ppl talking in her room, we dont think she can catch on to what we are saying, we think it just sounds like a blur to her. Keep posting and keep us updated
    yes, mom is the same it seems, when to many people are in the room its hard for her. we did find out she has a midline shift.... because the tumor was large after removing it has shifted from its center point making her vision distorted, everything looks crooked or blurred. it really scares her, i looked it up on the web and it says theres a special kind of glasses that can be worn but i dont know if its possible to shiftt back to center, if anyone has experiance with this please feel free to reply. moms still having trouble with yes no questions, we are worried because shes having trouble swollowing. praying for your sister STL.

Experienced User
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fixnow View Post
    hello ken, thank you for your replie,

does your gf have trouble showing her emotions? does she laugh? get sad, im frightened my mom will never be the same, speech problems i can deal with i just am scarred shes trapped in her mind. i wish i knew how she felt just to be able to help her more. i have seen her smile, but she doesnt laugh or cry, (tears) ?
    Her emotions are not always apparent. She does have some trouble showing affection but anger works well. She also has been diagnosed with dysexecutive syndrome (use to be called Frontal Lobe Syndrome) you can find an article about it on wikipedia. Sometimes her actions will seem rude or indifferent and her thoughts are sometimes non sequiter but she isn't meaning to be. She notices things and sees patterns that I would never have noticed. Remember though this was her second surgery on the same area. The surgeon says they cannot do a third. He didn't say but I image because of the damage being done each time. Some of the symptoms she had before the surgery have abated but of course others appeared or worsened. She use to sleep sixteen or more hours a day. She doesn't do that anymore but the trade off is that she cannot speak fluently. Life goes on and that is the important thing and she will likely need all of your help more.

Super Moderator Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fixnow View Post
    yes, mom is the same it seems, when to many people are in the room its hard for her. we did find out she has a midline shift.... because the tumor was large after removing it has shifted from its center point making her vision distorted, everything looks crooked or blurred. it really scares her, i looked it up on the web and it says theres a special kind of glasses that can be worn but i dont know if its possible to shiftt back to center, if anyone has experiance with this please feel free to reply. moms still having trouble with yes no questions, we are worried because shes having trouble swollowing. praying for your sister STL.
    I don't know if this would be any help at all and you could ask a speech therapist, but when I was a language teacher we'd give beginning students yes/no cards. That way if they understood what was being said but couldn't yet speak, they could raise or point to a card to answer.

Speech therapists tend to know all kinds of exercises for this type of problem, though, a lot more than language teachers do.

Newbie New User
    I had a "golf ball" size tumor removed in 08. My speech was messed up! I'm better now, with only problems finding words occasionally. Hopefully your mom is past this first awkward stage right after surgery. My kids were worried sick about me too. I'm really sorry your family has to go through this. Sending happy thoughts and prayers.

+ Reply to Thread