A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How can I expect the end to be with SCLC?

Newbie New User

How can I expect the end to be with SCLC?

I have extensive stage small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung. I had it in remission when it was only limited stage, but now it has recurred, in the lungs and surrounding areas. Also has spread to the brain. I have not had my voice in nearly a month now, have alot of pain in my chest, and alot of problems breathing. What im wondering is, how will I die? Will I suffocatre to death? Any input on this is greatly appreciated , and please be blunt, I dont need any sugar coating im prepared for this. I read the median survival time for Recurred SCLC is 2-3 months, and its been 3 months now since it recurred. Thanks in advance, James

Senior User
    James,

The truth can't be sugar-coated, nor can it be divined. Yes, you are going to die. Yes, it will probably be soon, considering how sick you are. I haven't come across a "typical" ending in this forum in the almost 3 years I have been here. Your doctor is the best judge, but nature will deal the cards.

I send a paryer to the universe to make your path peaceful and painless. I wish you the ending that you wish.

Enjoy as much time as is left to you, and try not to be afraid. Take advantage of any hospice care you can find. The medications that they are allowed to administer will ensure that you don't "suffocate", and that you feel as little pain as possible.

Hugs and peace,

Lori

Senior User
    Hi James, I am so sorry to hear about your illness and the recurrence. Thanks for joining us! My mom has NSCLC w/mets to adrenal glands. The first thing she said was that she doesn't want to suffocate to death, as well. So, that was our first question to the doctor. His answer was no. That was very much true in the past, but the technology and medications that are available now prevent that. I hope you have a strong support system and like Lori said, utilize hospice. I pray your journey is painless and free of fear. Please let us know how you are doing. Take good care of yourself, many hugs to you and God Bless! Anj.
    Caregiver to mom, 64 Ovarian Cancer Remission since 1997.
    6/19/12 Annual blood work - CA125 came back elevated.
    6/21/12 CT abdomen, RUL 2.8cm spot, LLL 5mm spot, lt. adrenal gland mass 8.3cm, rt. adrenal gland mass 4.6 cm.,
    6/28/12 Brain MRI-Clear,
    6/29/12 Lung Biopsy=Stage 4 NSCLC.
    7/11, 8/3, 8/23, 9/13/12 Chemo (Carb/Alimta).
    CT Scan 10/4/12 1 of 4 tumors decreased. 20% Kidney function. Blood transfusion
    10/9/12. Mets to liver.
    12/11 chemo (carb/taxotere) continued thru March.
    March 27, 2013. Told no more chemo, cancer now in the brain, to call out Hospice. Set up hospice March 31, 2013. Mom passed April 12, 2013. She will always be in my heart, never forgotten and always loved. May we reunite soon....after only a temporary separation!

Experienced User
    Hello James, i'm sorry to hear about how you feel.
    My advice would be to search for care as you are. If possible stay in hospital. Do not fear morphine or fentanyl adhesives, or other strong painkillers.

I assisted my wife in her last weeks, both in hospital and at home, and I strongly recommend to have 24h/day support care. Ask for the right amount of oxygene that leaves you confortable e try to eat regularly.

Many many hugs and God bless you!

James, I hope you get the opportunity to get back on here. I'm sorry for your pain. It should subside in the end. No matter what the movies portray, death is usually easy and calm. If you have time try to get the book: Final Gifts. Hospice is a good thing right now. Do you have family or friends around?

Suffocation sounds like a horrible word. It's how my dad left and it was just a peaceful shut down of the organs. His breathing ceased and less than a minute later his heart faded. It's a natural way to die and we all do. Your body starts relaxing when you are near the end.

If you have unfinished business take care of it. I love you for being honest. a
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

+ Reply to Thread