A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Son with raised sore lymph node under arm.

Son with raised sore lymph node under arm.

Apparently he didn't tell me till now as he didn't want to worry me.
    Well, he found out that it didn't lol.

Told him that we have so many come to our forum asking about this and only about 1 in 100 or so (200?) turn out to have lymphoma. He told his doc about me and doc is doing a blood test (told my son that bloods are usually normal and that lymphoma nodes are not usually sore) Nice to know his doc is acting due to my diagnosis.

He told me the doc suspects that the lump is caused by the roll on deodorant he is using, maybe blocking a duct or is could be a cyst.
    His lump is diminishing a bit.

My question is..why haven't we thought of this when we reply to undiagnosed people who come here? I thanked him and said I will be adding that in my replies.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Senior User
    Hi Didee can I ask if it's from his roll on wouldn't it be under both arms?
    31 when dx with stage 4 FNHL very young. 6 cycles of RCHOP14 then 2 of COP14
    Which put me in remission. Couldn't have maintaince as mabthera lowered white cell count so far still in remission.

Hi Didee, sorrry to hear about his additional wory. I think I have seen reference to the possibility of a blocked duct due to deoderant use in the past. It is one of the reasons "not to worry" when a lump presents itself. Also, as I am sure you know, lymphoma lumps are almost never painful.

It is good to hear that his doc is taking itseriously though, always better to end up definitive, no matter what that end up meaning.

Kartoz - if it was a blocked duct, it would only show up where that duct was blocked so one arm is very possible in this sort of case.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Kartoz View Post
    Hi Didee can I ask if it's from his roll on wouldn't it be under both arms?
    This happened to me a couple of times in the years before I got lymphoma. Lymph node under my left armpit (never my right one) would get big, sore, and tender, after about three or four consecutive days of antiperspirant use. It would get better after about a week of abstaining from antiperspirant. Never had a problem with a regular deodorant without an antiperspirant agent, so perhaps it was the aluminum that caused problems. After going through this a few times I stop using antiperspirants altogether, and never had that problem again.

I have no idea why it was only the left armpit. Maybe I happened to have tiny scratches under just that armpit on those occasions? Unfortunately, it's one of those things that I lost interest in once it no longer affected me...
    My Story: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=11396
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 1AE (localized in colon)
    Began six cycles of R chop 21 3rd Dec 2008
    Finished R chop 21 Apr 2009
    Complete remission as of May 2009
    Confirmed April 2010

Senior User
    This maybe a little off topic but you use nothing to stop BO?
    Which put me in remission. Couldn't have maintaince as mabthera lowered white cell count so far still in remission.

Quote Originally Posted by Kartoz View Post
    This maybe a little off topic but you use nothing to stop BO?
    Try reading this part again.

Quote Originally Posted by joepet View Post
    Never had a problem with a regular deodorant without an antiperspirant agent, so perhaps it was the aluminum that caused problems. After going through this a few times I stop using antiperspirants altogether, and never had that problem again.
    Although I do find it's not really necessary with the bathing habits one acquires in Japan...
    My Story: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=11396
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 1AE (localized in colon)
    Began six cycles of R chop 21 3rd Dec 2008
    Finished R chop 21 Apr 2009
    Complete remission as of May 2009
    Confirmed April 2010

Senior User
    Been to Japan still it can get hot and sticky.

Talked to him today and it has gone down a bit. He also said he is not at all worried now but he does feel feel relieved that he told me. He was also so pleased that I explained what I did to him. The thought would run through your mind though that your mum had a golf ball sized node on her neck before diagnosis.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

+ Reply to Thread