A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low Grade Stage 2 Mixed Glioma (diffused)

Newbie New User

Low Grade Stage 2 Mixed Glioma (diffused)

Hello all,

Almost four weeks ago I suffered a seizure at work, then a second in the ambulance on the way to Cambridge Memorial Hospital, (I was unconscious this whole time and remained that way for almost 16 hours) they performed a CT scan and found a tumor. From there I was transferred to Hamilton General Hospital. I spent a week there where I had another CT scan then an MRI then a biopsy.(they went in through the left side of my forehead and I believe they said it was fairly deep) I was told by the surgeon that surgery was not possible because the tumor was like "a fog", I've also read the term "like sand in grass" which I believe means it's diffused or diffuse?? After being released from Hamilton General I was referred to The Jeranvinski Cancer Center in Hamilton where I met with a team of doctors who gave me the results of the biopsy. The tumor is 5.9 cm and a mix of oligo and astrocytoma, I believe the oligo is the predominate type. They had to take blood to see if I am a candidate for a pill form of chemo, I will know the results next Friday. I believe they want to start with chemo because the tumor is diffuse which makes it inoperable.

I hope you can answer some of the questions I have:

- Does the diffuse(inoperable) tumor make my chances of improvement/survival worse?
    - Being diffused, is radiation possible after chemo if the tumor shrinks?
    - I've read a lot of prognosis' on the web but I find this to be very confusing, how should I take this? I think the tumor being diffuse is really my biggest concern I have not found anyone else with the same condition. Have you come across this?

I appreciate any answers or input you can provide.

Thank You

Rick

Hi Rick, sorry you had to join the club. Usually when a tumor is inop, it is too deep to safely take out with out taking to much brain matterial. You are now the 2nd person I have heard of that is not set up to do radiation and chemo at the same time. The chemo in pill form used for BT's is called temador. ITs good at maintaining tumor size (slows growth) but not great at shrinking tumor. That is why radiation and chemo go together usually with BT's.

Rick, is your oncologist a regular oncologist ? OR is this doc a neuro oncologist? There is a huge difference. You say its a 5.9cm tumor, IS that the the rough circumfrince? Does it have tenticles? Im trying to figure out why the say it is diffused (spread out) When is your next MRI? Since you had one 4 weeks agot they will probably use the first as a baseline to compare others against for shrinkage or growth. Another option is to look into clinical trails.

josh

Super Moderator Top User
    Rick, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I agree with Josh; you want to be seeing a neuro-oncologist. The reason you want an N-O is that most regular oncologists rarely see a brain tumor patient and may not know much about brain tumors.

-Does the diffuse(inoperable) tumor make my chances of improvement/survival worse?

I don't know. You'll have to ask an N-O. I do know that the grade 2 makes your prognosis considerably better than that of most brain cancer patients.

- Being diffused, is radiation possible after chemo if the tumor shrinks?

Again, you'll have to ask the doctor. It probably depends on how much grass contains how much sand. Radiation to a wide area of healthy brain tissue is to be avoided. I don't think radiation is routinely done for grade 2 tumors anyway.

- I've read a lot of prognosis' on the web but I find this to be very confusing, how should I take this?

With a humongous grain of salt. Statistics mean nothing to the individual, and the prognoses you see on various websites are median survival times (ie the point at which 50% of the recipients of a certain diagnosis will be dead) and encompass many variables (age, genetics, etc). Besides, it's a moving train-- the median survival times you're reading include patients who were diagnosed before Temodar became available. And more stuff is being developed all the time.

Newbie New User
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies,

To answer your questions Josh,

- I believe when we were at the JCC there was a neuro-oncologist, the team I met with consisted of about five doctors and a nurse, they all specialize in cancer. I think The Juranvinski Cancer Center is one of the top places in Canada. I felt pretty comfortable and confident being there.
    - They told my wife the tumor was flat so I guess the 5.9cm would be at the longest point.
    - The doctors never actually told me the tumor was diffuse, that's the term I found during research that seem to fit with what they were trying to explain to me.
    - I found this definition under Fibrillary astrocytoma -
    As the alternative name of "diffuse astrocytoma" implies, the outline of the tumour is not clearly visible in scans, because the borders of the neoplasm tend to send out tiny microscopic fibrillary tentacles that spread into the surrounding brain tissue. These tentacles intermingle with healthy brain cells, making complete surgical removal difficult
    Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread