A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How long did your biopsy results take?

Regular User

How long did your biopsy results take?

I know you have mentioned you dont want to hear from undiagnosed people so I wont bother you with my story....but...I have my biopsy next wednesday and my doctor told me it would take three weeks for the results. I have a friend who has had lymphoma twice and said her results never took that long. Was just wondering if this was normal? How long did it take for you after your biopsy to get the results? Also they told me they can look at it right away and sometimes can tell just by looking under the microscope. Did any of you have your results same day? I appreciate the imput. Need something to keep my mind busy right now. Glad to see that so many of you are healthy after the battle. And for those of you currently in the battle I pray for you everyday!

Senior User
    Ii think mine took about a week.
    31 when dx with stage 4 FNHL very young. 6 cycles of RCHOP14 then 2 of COP14
    Which put me in remission. Couldn't have maintaince as mabthera lowered white cell count so far still in remission.

Experienced User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kartoz View Post
    Ii think mine took about a week.
    Mine took a about a week or a little less.
    I'm a 54 year old wife and mother of 5.
    I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin's - SLL stage IV on December 5, 2011, but the tests began in early October.
    I'm watchfully waiting; this is very difficult, but it made me learn to appreciate every moment of my life.

Senior User
    Mine took a week for the biopsy and 6 days for the bone marrow scan. Stressful times.
    Age 50
    Follicular Non-hodgkins lymphoma Stage 2 on 10-28-2011
    Upgraded to Low grade follicular non-hodgkins lymphoma Stage IV on 11-11-11.
    Cancer in lymph nodes found in neck, back of abdomen, between both lungs and cancer cells found in bone marrow test.
    Prescribed Treanda and Rituxan, 4 months. To start 11-28-2011.
    Remission 2-17-2012
    Rituxan treatments start 4-25-2012, once every two months for two years
    Learning as I go.

There are too many variables to have a standard answer to the question of when biopsy results will be available. Sometimes pathologists can look at a sample with basic stains and know right away what it is (1-2 days), but oftentimes, specialized tests are needed to tease out the true identity of the biopsy sample (1-2 weeks). Sometimes, further specialized tests are required due to inconclusive results from the first round of evaluation. And, despite all of this, sometimes biopsy results are just not conclusive, or the specimen was inadequate for analysis. Additionally, sometimes samples need to be sent to an outside laboratory for additional tests, such as analysis for particular genetic mutations (3+ weeks).

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

How long is a piece of string? As said previously it varies. I know this a stressful time for you, try and stay away from the net researching and do your very best to distract yourself. I hope that biopsy is an excisional biopsy otherwise the results will be suspect.

Best of luck and here is hoping you get a clear answer.
    Age 57
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Regular User
    Thank u to everyone who took the time to reply to me! I understand that each case is different. That's why I didn't ask how long will MY biopsy results take. I asked how long did your result take? Just to get an idea of the average time frame.

Regular User
    Very informative! Thank you!

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smmoyer3 View Post
    Thank u to everyone who took the time to reply to me! I understand that each case is different. That's why I didn't ask how long will MY biopsy results take. I asked how long did your result take? Just to get an idea of the average time frame.
    The only wrench in the gears here might be: which type pf biopsy will it be? Fine Needle Aspiration, or excisional? FNAs often are inconclusive or may even produce false negatives. They are useful to diagnose a relapse, but may not provide sufficient tissue for a primary diagnosis. An excisional is the only type (with a proper workup) that can finalize the diagnosis.

In my case, it was probably about one month, since I changed doctors and the hematologist ordered additional work on the tissue sample. Mine was an exception, however.
    Dx 07/2008 Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma - Not Otherwise Specified, stage 4B.
    "Innumerable" tumors above/below diaphragm + Bone Marrow Involvement.
    4 cycles CHOP+Etoposide plus 4 cycles GND.
    NED at mid-point and completion of chemo 12/2008.
    Relapse 02/2009.
    Scheduled for palliative care.
    Clinical trial of Romidepsin 03/2009. CR, remained NED for 56 (28 day) cycles.
    Possible relapse 07/2013.
    08/2013 "re-induction" therapy of Romidepsin.
    Mixed results on 11/01/2013 scans.
    Treatment stopped 03/03/2014.
    02/10/14 Core needle biopsy indicates either no lymphoma or possible mutation into AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma(?)
    03/17/14 Excisional biopsy finds no evidence of lymphoma.
    CT scans 04/24/14 reveal that nodes and spleen have reduced 60%, apparently on their own.
    Officially on W&W, as odd as that sounds.

"Now, faith is the substance of things to be hoped for, the evidence of things that are not seen" Hebrews 11:1

Regular User
    It is excisional. Which also makes me a bit nervous because of where it is (left supraclavicular). How was the pain following the procedure?

I have had two excisional biopsies: cervical and inguinal. No pain problem with either one. The way I see it, no matter how much pain might be involved, we are fighting a much larger battle.
    Relapse 02/2009.
    02/10/14 Core needle biopsy indicates either no lymphoma or possible mutation into AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma(?)
    CT scans 04/24/14 reveal that nodes and spleen have reduced 60%, apparently on their own.

"Now, faith is the substance of things to be hoped for, the evidence of things that are not seen" Hebrews 11:1

Newbie New User
    Mine took two and a half weeks.

I had no pain either and was told the results in 3 days.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Senior User
    I had no pain but I did have swelling were the lymph collected and had a drain put in for about a week
    31 when dx with stage 4 FNHL very young. 6 cycles of RCHOP14 then 2 of COP14
    Which put me in remission. Couldn't have maintaince as mabthera lowered white cell count so far still in remission.

I've had two and both were essentially painless. My results from the first one took three weeks, the second about a week. It takes the time it takes, unfortunately, and that time is miserable for all of us. Good luck with everything and good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Did you have your biopsy? How did it go?

Regular User
    I did it was ok.....I wouldn't describe it as painless by any means! I still can't turn my head to the right and it's been over a week! As for the results I was diagnosed with hodgkins lymphoma. I go next tues to meet with oncologist to get the ball Rollin on staging and treatment.

I did it was ok.....I wouldn't describe it as painless by any means! I still can't turn my head to the right and it's been over a week! As for the results I was diagnosed with hodgkins lymphoma. I go next tues to meet with oncologist to get the ball Rollin on staging and treatment.
    Well, not the news that we wanted, but just know that you have lots of support here.
    Relapse 02/2009.

So sorry to hear that. I am in the biopsy results wait right now and it sucks beyond belief.

Really? I had my bioposy results when i woke up from the surgery.....

I remember the day i knew i had cancer and they said i could do outpatient chemo so i was like bring it on cancer.

Then when i woke up from the surgery i remeber them saying you have bulky disease so we will be admitting you 3 days for every round of chemo

It all went downhill from their.
    -Nodular Sclerosis Hodgkin Lymphoma Stage 2 Bulky (2010)
    -ABVD x4
    -Radiation @ 1500GY
    -*Remission* (December 2011)
    -*Relapse* Nodular Sclerosis Hodgkin Lymphoma Stage 2 No bulky (June 2012)
    -ICE x2 (Failed 100%)
    -DHAP ( German Chemo) x2
    -PET= NED 100% Clear
    -Auto SCT with (Carmustine,Cisplatin,Etoposide)
    -Remission + waiting for some small amounts of follow up radiation.

+ Reply to Thread