A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
Closed Thread

Thread: Hard Lymph Nodes in Neck

Newbie New User

Hard Lymph Nodes in Neck

Hello everyone!

I'm 30 years old and have been smoking since I was in my teens. I've eventually worked my way up to a pack a day up until I hit 30 in August. I've been smoke free for almost a month now thanks to the ecig.

Recently, I had a infected wisdom tooth that I had extracted. I waited a while with the pain and took loads of pills for the pain. I also took some antibiotic before the extraction to help with the infection before the day. Took was removed with very little issues and didn't take any more antibiotic or pain meds. There was very little bleeding and everything healed up nicely.

From that day, I've been on a decline somewhat. I had pressure in my head (not painful, like an aura around my head), neck feeling weak (couldn't hold up my head well), excessive burping (doesn't hurt) and of course constipation with bloating (mainly what I have today). I have had slight fatigue off and on, but nothing major.

From those symptoms I come to one that scares me the most. I have 2 lymph nodes that look to be my jugulodigastric lymph node on both the right and left side of my neck (deep cervical). The location would be in the right and left top corners above my adams apple that rest on the side of my throat.

(The jugulodigastric lymph node is a large node found in the proximity of where the posterior belly of the digastric muscle crosses the internal jugular vein.)

These two lymph nodes are hard and non-mobile with zero pain. They don't seem to be super large, I would say slightly bigger than a pea, but have not shrunk in almost 3 weeks now. On the other hand, they have not grown either. They are just there and seem to be big enough to make my glands not rest correctly, but you wouldn't notice a bump or anything on my neck as they are deep cervicals.

How I noticed them was the fact that when I look down, I can see my skin flap around my neck. I'm a skinny person (120 pounds). I poked around and found out I had some swollen nodes. I of course went to the docs and they brushed it off on the tooth extraction (which I could agree), but I had two that were hard as a rock too. The other nodes that were slightly swollen were under my jaw and have since gone down a lot. The ones like a rock, seem to stay the same size although the one on the left side seems to be smaller than the right as the gland sits better (i.e.: I think it's smaller and sits on my throat better than the other).

That said, i can't find any info on those specific nodes other than they drain for the pharynx, palatine tonsil, and tongue. There are no clear signs to anything relating to that other than say tonsilites, which I don't have as my tonsils seem fine (I've had tonsilites as a kid though).

Any help on this would be great because I'm clueless on what's going on. I don't seem to have any weight loss or heavy fatigue. I do have slight weakness, but I've always been a week guy (go skinny unhealthy people). I don't have any fever or cold like symptoms right now. The only thing I would say I have is like above, excessive belching and some problems with the bathroom, which could be because of my diet as well the stopping of tobacco.

Newbie New User
    I'll separate my question from that wall of text.

Q: If this was cancer, wouldn't it grow in size over time even if it was hard and non-painful?

Q: Does poor teeth that don't hurt cause lymph nodes to become hard if not treated? (i.e.: possibly could have had these for awhile and didn't notice it)

Hello. I am sorry you are having these health concerns.
    Please read this from the Lymphoma forum.

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...h-NO-diagnosis

The only answers you will get will be by seeing a doctor and having further tests.
    Lymph nodes come up and down, that is their job, to fight infection and inflamation. There is also the fact that everyone's can react differently..even with a cancer diagnosis at the end of testing. Mine were rubbery, waxed and waned over a period of two months for each one. Most reports say that nodes are hard etc with cancer. Mine didn't behave like that. A CT scan would determin whether they are isolated or there are more around if a doc feels that further testing is needed.

Please see your doctor if you are concerned.
    On the lymphoma topic a diagnosis can really only be made with an excisional biopsy on a node.
    Fine needle biopsies are notoriously inaccurate mostly with our cancers but brilliant with Thyroid diagnosis.

If a doc feels that it maybe a symptom of a head or neck cancer I have no idea of the tests used for that diagnosis. It also could be nothing at all to worry about.

Good luck.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User
    Thanks for the response.

I'm not too worried about it overall. Just find it interesting that I have two hard lymph nodes in the neck. It's also interesting which ones they are and pretty much no information about those specifically. I can't really find out much about hard lymph nodes either in regards to them growing or not. I guess it's different, but I figured there would at least be some input on whether or not cancerous ones are likely to grow when presenting those symptoms as opposed to say rubbery and mobile.

I did go to the doctor of course and she didn't seem concerned as I just had the extraction. I think that's fine, but of course, I've never had hard nodes after a tooth extraction either (had 3 thus far for my wisdoms and molars). It's also been 3 weeks since then and still nothing, but on the other hand I had no antibiotics either.

I know the chances of mine being cancer are very slim due to my age, but a little higher than most due to smoking.

I have been smoking for 42 years and my cancer has no causal link to it...go figure.
    In my opinion only, I feel it is best for you to put all thoughts of cancer out of your mind but keep a watch on your body.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User
    Aye, I am. I don't think I have cancer. Just wanted to see if anyone had additional insight outside of going to the doctor hehe. I don't have any major symptoms I don't think, just the ones mentioned. Seems to be a little better day by day. However, I never really been sick that much in my life either. So, it's more of the sickness part on my mind than anything else.

Speaking on symptoms, I totally forgot to ask about the nodes in the groin / leg region. I can feel mine sticking out just a bit. I read that these are common to be reactive and stick out especially in skinny people. Mine are surely feelable in terms of being a little smaller than pea size. Would that mean they are swollen? I can move the nodes around, which is likely making them bigger hah. But, two are big enough to look like they are swollen, just not hard and non-mobile like the one in my neck. Armpit wise, I feel a small ache here and there, but don't feel any lumps. Then of course, nothing on the collar bone (thank god).

Luckly, I've quit smoking now. I don't know if you have yet, but the ecig is truly good. I know it's half-and-half for some, but dang if the thing didn't help me stop for almost a month now. Cancer or not, it shocked me that it was good enough because I was sure nothing could make me quit. I only tried it because I couldn't smoke after the extraction due to the possible infection. I tried the ecig as a safer way to smoke until it healed more. Who would have thought it get me to stop.

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    I would check with an ear nose throat doctor may be infection still there -that is the only reason that lymph nodes swell they ae trying to fight it off.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Newbie New User
    Yeah, may have to do that. Today, I noticed I have a light sensation in my throat. Nothing painful, feels kind of like a lump. I wonder if it's just my tonsil swelling now as it would make sense with those specific nodes being swollen too. Of course, it could just be crap coming up my throat from not smoking for 3 weeks as well.

I posted another thread about another node on my left jaw line. There is a small rock or zit or something on my node. I think I want to coin this as my lymph node having a lymph node! Anyways, I posted the thread here in the other forums to get some insight.

Senior User
    I agree no link to smoking and lymphoma, many other cancers though. And no you very we maybe the right age.
    31 when dx with stage 4 FNHL very young. 6 cycles of RCHOP14 then 2 of COP14
    Which put me in remission. Couldn't have maintaince as mabthera lowered white cell count so far still in remission.

Newbie New User
    "You very we"

What do you mean? I'm the right age?

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Krael

Hi

You are wasting both your and our valuable time posting questions here that are impossible for us to answer. I strongly advise you to see a doctor quickly. In the meantime your threads will be locked. If you by some chance do have cancer of some type then you are welcome back here for support but any further questions of this type will not be taken kindly.

Thank you
    Age 57
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Closed Thread