A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Picc line or Port?

Regular User

Picc line or Port?

So until today I have only heard of the port. So now I am confused.... Why one over the other? Aren't u more restricted with the picc? But I'm sure there is less scarring. So what's your input?

Port, port, port, port. I have a port in me right now, and I can tell you that it's been excellent to me. Aside from the procedure of having the port put in and being sore for about a week (not to mention that I had it done only a couple of days after my first chemo, ugh), I almost don't even notice it's there. When I went in for my second chemo, it was a simple matter of plugging me in to the IV, boop, that's it. It's a lot better than having your arms stuck a few times trying to find a good vein, and relatively less painful too. Also, because the port is in a big vein, chemo time went from 4 hours to 3 hours.

Too many potential issues with a PICC line, such as infection, blockage, etc. Port is much, MUCH, simpler and safer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ONE DAY AT A TIME.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

================================================== =====
    Diagnosed late August 2012: Stage IIB Nodular Sclerosing Hodgkin Lymphoma
    Prescribed 6 cycles of ABVD, started early September 2012, completed mid-February.
    Current status: Complete remission as of 4/23/13. Next follow-up in mid-July. Regrowing hair, ha.

Shortest bio ever:
    Male, 37, Cleveland, Ohio, sad-sack Browns fan, and single (I know! Can you believe it?)
    Fun fact: I'm a sucker for sci-fi and fantasy

Regular User
    Agreed. Ports are better, but it depends on how many rounds you are going to do. I had a port first time around with 6 rounds of chemo. This time, 3 rounds and then I get a central line for the bone marrow transplant, so we opted for the PICC. Either one works, but the port is easier to live with on a day to day basis.
    11/11 Diagnosed DLBCL Stage 4
    12/11 R-CHOP + intrathecal Methotrexate x 6
    3/12 Chemo done
    5/12 PET scan shows all clear!
    8/12 Relapse to CNSL
    10/12 Finished Hyper CVAD-B x3
    Restaged - stable disease (turned out not so stable)
    11/12 Mobilization: Etopiside + ARA-C + Rituxan + IT MTX
    12/12 Sepsis, heart failure, and an ex-lap on Christmas
    1/13 Autologous Stem Cell Transplant
    5/13 Day 100 check up - bone marrow and CSF all clear!

I loved my PICC line and had no problems with it at all. It was put in by ultrasound guiding it. I watched..just like fishing line snaking around till it got where it was needed. No skin to prick like there is with a port. It was pulled out after my last infusion..just like using a hand held fishing line and bringing it in..no pain with either getting it in and out. It was flushed just before each fortnightly chemo.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Senior User
    I'm also a port person. I've had two in my Hodgkins career. A single lumen with initial treatment (had it removed after chemo and before rads) and it worked great. I had a double lumen port for my salvage chemo and stem cell transplant. It worked great also and they were able to use it for everything except stem cell collection and they just used regular IV's for that. If I ever have to do chemo again (knock on wood that won't happen) I would have a port put back in in a nanosecond.
    One of the advantages of the port is that it is internal so once the incision has healed you don't have to worry about getting it wet or anything. It just has to be flushed once every 4-6 weeks to keep it from clotting but while you're in treatment that won't be a problem since they'll do that when they use it. But, like everything in medicine there are no 100% guarantees and some people do have problems with them and they do require a short surgery to be put in (mine were taken out in the doc's office using a local). Make sure you check out all the plusses and minuses of each.
    Take care.
    carol
    NSHL 2A 6/09;ABVD x 4;interim pet/CT 8/09 NED; RADS x 17 done 11/09; pet/CT 5/10 susp; pet/CT 8/10 susp; pet/CT 2/11 growth; BX 4/11 relapse 4B; salvage GVD x4; CBV x 4; SCT 8/18/11

It seems that everyone likes their port or, in my case Picc line so you should like whichever you choose.
    What we really need is someone who has had both to chime in, lol.
    Aussie, age 57

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Any port in a storm! How long will you be in treatment? For long-term, I think that a port is the only way to go. I have had a Hickman line and a Power Port at the same time. Have had the port for a little over four years, and Dr. Hickman (who installed my power port, but not the Hickman catheter) told me that some patients have had them for 10 years or more. I have had no problems or infections. The Hickman catheter was trouble free as well, but a lot more maintenance (daily). The good thing is that I had it for only two weeks while they collected my stem cells, then it was out while I was awake. Not too pleasant that part.
    07/08 DX Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma - NOS (AITL-like), stage 4B. >50 tumors + BMI.
    08/08-12/08 4 cycles CHOEP + 4 cycles GND.
    02/09 PET confirms relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin. NED for 64 (28 day) cycles.
    07/13 Second relapse with numerous auto-immune symptoms.
    08/13 "re-induction" of Romidepsin.
    02/14 Treatment stopped - lack of response. Nodes resolve spontaneously.
    09/14 Nodes appear suddenly.
    10/03/14 Axillary node biopsy
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Symptoms worsened.
    10/13/14 Third relapse confirmed by biopsy. Bone marrow clear.
    10/25/14 Entered trial of Alisertib (MLN8237)
    11/10/14 Tumors seem to be regressing.
    Currently in my 5th treatment regimen and 11th drug.

"What is faith? It is that which gives substance to our hopes, which convinces us of things we cannot see" Hebrews 11:1

Senior User
    What's wrong with a cannula for short term like say 3 months
    31 when dx with stage 4 FNHL very young. 6 cycles of RCHOP14 then 2 of COP14
    Which put me in remission. Couldn't have maintaince as mabthera lowered white cell count so far still in remission.

Much too much chance of bumping, dislodging it IMO. I certainly wouldn't have done it.
    I have not heard of it being an option which just means that. Others may have.
    Aussie, age 57

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.

CancerForums User Policy

Senior User
    Dont they Cannulate all the time
    Which put me in remission. Couldn't have maintaince as mabthera lowered white cell count so far still in remission.

Only for the chemo session then it is out..at least with all those I witnessed in the chairs.
    Aussie, age 57

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.

CancerForums User Policy

Senior User
    That's what I thought and what I liked about it

Senior User
    I have a Power Port. It hurts almost all the time. I hate it. If I were less active it might not be an issue. I think I keep pulling the devil thing loose from it's mounting in my chest. More than once I have woke myself up trying to pull it out of my chest. I do wish I had gotten it a little sooner in my treatments. I only got it because I ran completely out of good veins. I was afraid that it might get infected inside me and lead to more problems. My plan is to have it removed after my last scheduled chemo in the spring of 2014.
    Age 50
    Follicular Non-hodgkins lymphoma Stage 2 on 10-28-2011
    Upgraded to Low grade follicular non-hodgkins lymphoma Stage IV on 11-11-11.
    Cancer in lymph nodes found in neck, back of abdomen, between both lungs and cancer cells found in bone marrow test.
    Prescribed Treanda and Rituxan, 4 months. To start 11-28-2011.
    Remission 2-17-2012
    Rituxan treatments start 4-25-2012, once every two months for two years
    Learning as I go.

You can't have it out and ask for a PICC line instead?
    Aussie, age 57

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.

CancerForums User Policy

Hi,

I had a PICC line in for 4 months during treatment and it didn't cause me any problems at all, despite the fact that I have a very active dog lol. The district nurses came every wednesday to dress it and to take blood on the days before chemo. My PICC line made treatments so much easier as my veins are very evasive! My PICC line was my best friend I had it taken out 3 weeks after the last chemo and now I just get a cannula for each maintenance treatment.
    Grade 1, stage 3 Follicular Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.
    DX 31st Jan 2012, staged 15th Feb
    Complicated 3cm mass parotid/jaw region, enlarged nodes in both sides of neck, left supraclavicular, under arms , 13cm x 7cm mass in stomach.
    BM unknown due to failed biopsy
    1st course of R-CVP 16th February 2012
    CT scan after 4th cycle:- NED
    6th and final R-CVP 7th June
    Maintenance therapy started in Sept 20th (Rituximab) every 2 months for 2 years

I had a long stay in the hospital and they always had an IV line in, but they had to remove it and put in a new one every three days. I forget why; danger of infection, probably. Is that what is called a canula?

I have a port now, and it's fine. I've wondered if maybe men prefer PICC lines? They cover the port with an adhesive dressing and some tape during chemo which is no problem, but if I had a hairy chest I might not be so happy about it. Also, with a port it's not convenient to wear crew-necked t-shirts to chemo. I saw one man at chemo who had cut a nifty little window in his T-shirt to provide access to his port.
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking. 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo. Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles; Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles. Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avstin - 1year. April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.

+ Reply to Thread