A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swollen lymph nodes, can't get over infection, on antibiotics for months, surgery

Newbie New User

Swollen lymph nodes, can't get over infection, on antibiotics for months, surgery

Its a long story, which I will try to keep short...

Had a sinus infection that stared in the winter (maybe February), which eventually spread to my wisdom tooth. It seemed like a tooth absess, swollen cheek, etc. was put on ammoxicillin. Eventually an oral surgeon pulled the tooth, but infection was not fixed, I was put on clindamyacin, prednisone.
    Eventually had a CT scan and found out I had an oro antral fistula, which caused my ongoing infections. I would need surgery to correct the condition

At some point over the past year, I began to notice swollen lymph nodes. They are all the size of a fingertip or fingernail. first in my left groin area, two or three small bumps; then in my left armpit, small bump there. They seem to be tender, esp in my armpit; and then they seem to go down sometimes and comeback.

Other areas, I am not sure. I have lypomas all over my body, so I don't really pay attention to lumps and bumps. I had about 40 of them removed 3 years ago.

1 month ago I had surgery to repair the oro antral fistula. The infection seemed to go away, them two weeks ago, it seemed lIke it came back, or never really left. At my follow up I was but on a different antibiotic, sulfur based.

I have not lost any significant weight in this period. I thought I was having night sweats, but after reading about them I don't think that's what i had. My wife says I have always been very hot while sleeping. But I have never woken up drenched in sweat.

I have noticed a serious dip at times in my energy level. The infection is still there. I am concerned because of the persistent infection and enlarged lymph nodes. These seem to fit into the list of lymphoma/leukemia symptoms.

I have one lump i believe is a lymph node, in my groin area, which has been enlarged for at least 7 years. It is about an inch long, not really noticeable. I though it was a lypoma, because I had them all over my torso.

Anyway, I am scared. I don't understand why I can't get over this infection. And, the lymph nodes are disconcerting.

Hello. I am sorry that you are having these concerns. As you are having infections then the lymph nodes are doing the job they are meant to do.
    Please read

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...h-NO-diagnosis

Trying to self diagnose on the net just drives up the fear. Dr google has a lot to answer for. All roads seem to lead to cancer forums.

If you are not happy with what a doctor is doing then please get a second opinion or a third.
    Write down all that is happening and any questions you have are not missed at an appointment.

If, in the small chance that you have lymphoma we will be here for you.

Good luck.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User

Thanks, how did you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Didee View Post
    Hello. I am sorry that you are having these concerns. As you are having infections then the lymph nodes are doing the job they are meant to d...
    thanks for your quick reply.

If you don't mind, I am wondering, what was it that let you now you might have lymphoma in the very beginning? What made you start to be suspicious?

I didn't think I had Lymphoma in the beginning as my symptoms, as most people's are, can be indicative of anything. Lymph nodes rise for many reasons.
    It was only by tests and ruling out many more common things that it could be as well as changes in scans, inconclusive fine needle biopsies on nodes then a surgical biopsy finally diagnosing me. It all took about 8 months.
    Aussie, age 57

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

In my anecdotal experience from listening to people here over the past few years, it seems that by far the majority of people who came here and admitted to being diagnosed with lymphoma first started thinking of lymphoma when a doctor suspected that they had it, and very few of them started by correctly self-diagnosing themselves.
    My Story: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=11396
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 1AE (localized in colon)
    Began six cycles of R chop 21 3rd Dec 2008
    Finished R chop 21 Apr 2009
    Complete remission as of May 2009
    Confirmed April 2010

Joepet is correct.
    As in his post, the one I linked for you, it says that so many come here with a node up, thinking that they have lymphoma and such a small minority actually do. Look back through all the pages and this will be substantiated.
    Aussie, age 57

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.

CancerForums User Policy

Newbie New User
    Just a quick update, since most people seem to post once and then never resolve things...

I went to the emergency room yesterday morning. When I woke up, around 6:45, I felt like someone was sitting on my chest, my chest was very tight, and it was hard to breathe. I had noticed feeling a bit heavy in the chest the previous morning, but not as extreme as yesterday.

When you go in to the ER and say "chest pains", they sure do come running! they immediately did an EKG, vitals, and two rounds of bloodwork. They confirmed that it was not a heart issue, and a complete blood count showed nothing abnormal with my blood.

When I continued to ask about my lymph nodes, the doctor laughed. She said there is no way I could have cancer, but I can get a biopsy if I really want to. The lymph nodes are supposed to swell, she said when an infection is present (and one is) -- it's when there isn't an infection that you should worry.

In the end, I believe it was an allergic reaction to the new antibiotic I started 4 or 5 days ago. It was Bactrim (sulfur based), and I have never had a sulfur based drug before. I had started to feel extremely tired all the time, I was starting to itch a little all over, and then the chest tightness and shortness of breath. All these are listed a serious allergic reactions that can happen as a result of taking Bactrim.

I didn't take it last night or this morning, and I feel much better.

Newbie New User
    I know, maybe it seems like I am just being silly by posting on cancer forums... But I have been sick for many months, have had surgery, and I am still sick, and I am very concerned.

I live in Bosnia, and all of my friends smoke. So, like a good sympathizer, I started smoking, and I smoked casually for about a year. I would quit sometimes for a week or two at a time, then start back, usually smoking 4 or 5 cigarettes a day (about 1.5 to 2 packs per week). I quit early this year, and haven't started back in 6 months.

So, I knew it was highly unlikely that such light smoking would cause cancer so quickly, but then I started to get sick, I started to wonder about it more and more. I have always had lypomas (non malignant lumps) all over my body, so I've talked to doctors about it before.

Anyway... Just wanted to say that...

Newbie New User
    I was just reading some of the other posts and threads. My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering from lymphoma. I will be praying for you.

Today I learned that they figured out my infection is caused by a bacteria that is common to hospital- caused infections. Explains why I started feeling bad after coming home from a post-op where they did some in-office procedures.

Anyway, the bacteria is susceptible to only 3 antibiotics, and I have already shown allergies to 2 of those.

Today I go to an internist to ask about getting a biopsy for my various swollen lymph nodes. The whole reason for worry in the first place was that my ENT said I shouldn't have swollen lymph nodes in other parts of my body. But the ER doctor thought that was silly.

The biopsy will let you know for sure what is happening. Good luck and please get back to us because besides us loving good news it also helps people in the future to read that lymph nodes do not necessarily mean cancer.
    In the small chance that you do indeed have lymphoma we will be here for you.
    Aussie, age 57

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.

CancerForums User Policy

Newbie New User
    Today I saw a the general surgeon who removed 40 lypomas from my arms and torso 3 years ago. He's a former chief of surgery at one of the big hospitals in our city. He did an ultrasound of all my "suspicious" areas, and he found no suspicious lymph nodes. The ones I was worried about (in the groin area) were just lypomas - harmless lumps of fat. I already had 40 of those removed, and all those were completely benign, so no reason to think these are any different - no sudden changes, no real pain, etc. Judging by location, I sure thought they'd be lymph nodes.

It was kind of morbid, though, when he brought the ultrasound machine in - the picture from the ultrasound he had just done with another patient was still up on the screen, and he said, "now that's something you don't want to have!" with a snicker. It was a picture of a golf ball sized lymph node with no definition, clearly suspicious. I like him, but I thought, "hey - that's not funny". But, when you do what he does all day long... I guess words can get away from you.

+ Reply to Thread