A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.6 cm well circumscribed non-calcified nodule

1.6 cm well circumscribed non-calcified nodule

Hi. I'm 58, female, past heavy smoker, currently light smoker. I've just had a CAT scan that shows a 1.6 cm well circumscribed non-calcified nodule in the left lower lobe. They say it may represent a non-calcified granuloma; however, malignancy cannot be excluded.

Now what? Should I be worrying a lot?

Senior User
    Depending on where you live, this can often be a sign of a past infection. People living in the Southwest and Midwest can have fungal infections that cause a granuloma. There are other benign causes as well. What did your medical team recommend? Several options exist including repeat imaging in a few months - if it doesn't change it's unlikely to be cancer. PET scan or biopsy are also options. Discuss this with your medical team to determine what's best for you.

RLee, MD
    RLee, MD

Any information provided is NOT intended to provide specific medical advice to users but rather to provide users with information to help them better understand their health condition and related care. All readers are strongly encouraged to consult with a qualified physician for answers to their personal medical questions.

+ Reply to Thread