A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ultrasound found a mass on my pancreas

Newbie New User

Question Ultrasound found a mass on my pancreas

Hello,
    I had an ultrasound done last week as I had went to the doctor after having severe nausea for the last month to month and a half. He suggested an ultrasound to look at my gall bladder. My doctor's office called Monday and said I had some sludge balls and small stones in there, but what was really concerning them is there is a mass in my pancreas, so they want me to see the surgeon. I see him on Monday. Any ideas on what this might be? Very concerned and scared at this point. Thank you.

Shelly

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    Hi Shelly,

Welcome to the forum, and very sorry that you are going through all this. I can't give you any ideas as to what this might be, but I will say this...first rule of thumb, don't panic just yet. First get all the facts and move forward from there. For all you know at this point, it may not even be cancer. Try to just breath until Monday and know that this place is here for you if you need us! Best of luck to you!

Debbie
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Senior User
    Shelly, Debbie is right, it is not time to panic. Push your doctors for an endoscopic ultrasound and possibly a needle biopsy. The pancreas is really hard to see on CT's and external ultrasounds.
    Diagnosed June 20, 2012 with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.
    Surgery on July 19, 2012, distal pancreatectomy with removal of a portion of the stomach and colon adhering to the pancreas, splenectomy.
    Pathology report July 26, 2012, clear margins all around
    Stage 2 (T3N0) in July, changed to Stage 3 Oct. 10.
    Started Gemzar Sept. 17, 2012
    6 month scan clean, NED
    Completed chemo end of March.
    July 5, scan shows pseudocyst between what is left of my stomach and pancreas.
    July 12, two stents put in to drain pseudocyst, pain on left side reduced.
    Pain under control, just dealing with the digestive issues, alternating between constipation and diarrhea.
    Dec. 6, results of last scan, 10 mm and 6mm mets to liver, 3 small mets to lungs.
    March 25, folfirinox is working but bad reaction to oxaliplatin. Giving it one more try.
    Switched to folfiri, minor reaction.
    5 rounds of Xeloda.
    Done with Xeloda, starting gem/abrax in 3 weeks.

Honestly, I feel your distress and I'm sorry you are in this position. I agree with the advice about staying calm because we all know how stress can make things worse and even cloud your judgment but I feel you really need to seek out the most appropriate healthcare professionals for the quickest and most effective diagnostics. The process for achieving the correct diagnosis can sometimes take weeks or even months and with anything pancreas related you want to get down to the nitty-gritty ASAP. The ultrasound detecting the mass was a great start but a more extensive CTscan and PETscan should be the next tools to determine how extensive the mass is, whether or not there is metabolic activity in the area and if it has affected other organs.

Senior User
    Exactly, haysofjsj is right- don't panic, but don't waste time. It may NOT be cancer, but push to find out. If, God forbid, it is, the sooner you find out the better chance of beating the damn thing! Sending you major prayers and hope!
    lise
    "May you be held in compassion; May your pain and suffering be eased; May you be at Peace"

Sending out hope to you too.
    July 22 2011 Hubby (64) Diagnosed PanCan. Sept2011- Feb 2012: Abraxane/Gemcitabine. Feb-May 2012:Gemcitabine only. June-Sept 2012 5FU. Sept 4-no more chemo - Just living life. Multiple stents. Jan 2013/18 month mark. Mets everywhere. Looking for a bumper sticker that says 'Stay at safe distance - Driver suffering caregiver burnout'. Hospice Thurs Feb 28 2013. March 12 2013 he went off to his new adventure where we will one day meet again. It was 20 months from date of diagnosis until now.

Senior User
    Be positive and and don't fret! It may be nothing like I'm sure everyone has already said. It's terrible you have all weekend to have to wait and continue thinking about it but keep busy!! That'll help!! Like lise said, if God forbid it is... you will go through a whole spectrum of emotions then you will turn into a fighter!! Sending prayers!
    www.CancerKickinGirl.com

Fall 2011 - SO SICK. Should have seen a Dr. for diagnosis!!
    Beg. of 2012 Age 26 - Almost DEAD & diagnosed Stage 4 Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer - Spread to Liver, Lymph nodes, Stomach, Cervix, Abdomen & Bowels... VERY SEVERE CASE of PC
    8/12 - Hospitalized for a week for spleen rupture
    2/13 Chemo stable/ cysts shrunk, no growth - I'll take that
    3/13 Hospitalized for hole in fistula in colon caused by cancer. Got stent and healing!

Newbie New User
    I guess I wouldn't be so worried if cancer did not run in my family on both sides. I lost an Uncle to bone cancer 2 months after they found it, 2 aunts to lung cancer this is on my dad's side and they all passed away within a year and a half. On my mom's side I lost an aunt to breast cancer, another aunt had it and they found it early enough so she has been in remission for about 5 years now. Also found out from my mom that her uncle and a cousin passed away from Kidney cancer. So yeah, this has me worried. But I go Monday and for sure will not let them mess around, I will not wait 2 weeks to 2 months for a diagnosis, I want it taken care of before it's too late. Thank you for the replies, it has eased my mind somewhat. I glad I found this site. Again thank you.
    Shelly

Newbie New User
    Amazing news!! Went to the surgeon on Monday and he ordered a CT Scan of my pancreas with an IV contrast on Tuesday and the results came back NO MASS FOUND!!!! They think it might have been a stone or some bile from my gallbladder. I had my gallbladder out the next day on Wednesday and here I am today, sore, tired but alive and healthy!!!! Thank you all so much for your support, I feel like I was given a new lease on life and it has opened my eyes and made me more aware and I am going to do more in my community to raise awareness of pancreatic cancer and to help find a cure!! Blessings to all!!!
    Shelly

Good News! I am really happy for you Shellrenee...really, really happy! I wish news that good for all our friends on this forum! Thanks for sharing!

So great to hear this!
    Kaye
    www.honoringdad.blogspot.com

Dad diagnosed pancreatic cancer October 2011
    chemo/radiation Oct-December 2011
    Whipple- January 2012
    Found out cancer spread- May 2012
    Stopping all treatment because it's not working- December 2012
    Enjoying any time we have left with him.

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    Great news! So happy for you (and jealous) but so, so happy. Life is a gift and it takes these things for most of us to know just how precious it is!

Hope you heal up soon and thanks for letting us all know!
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Senior User
    Ohhhhh my Shelly, that is wonderful news!!! Thank God!!

Newbie New User
    Ultrasound machine in good condition with less price or any equipment related with ultrasound also .Please send me some picture and price details .

Senior User
    "That will be $8,672.89 for your emotional torment while we had to run a zillion tests on you. And have you go down and up like a roller coaster thinking you might have PC. How would you like to pay? Have a nice day!"
    "Love the humor. Hate the tumor."

Senior User
    Yay!!!!!
    "May you be held in compassion; May your pain and suffering be eased; May you be at Peace"

+ Reply to Thread