A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bone, muscle, and joint pain

Regular User

bone, muscle, and joint pain

One year ago this week I started chemo (AC + Taxol)
    I am very depressed because I still have a huge amount of pain in my arms and legs as well as my lower back.

I have been taking Vicodin every day for almost a year. My homeopath wants me to wean off the pain meds, but when I do, I realize that I am in as much pain as ever and I lose hope that I will ever feel good again.

does anyone else have this symptom? I would appreciate hearing from you. I feel like I'm the only one who isn't getting better. A year is a long time.
    Mary, age 43 at diagnosis - Jan 05
    Invasive ductal carcinoma Stage II
    1.3cm tumor; lumpectomy Feb 05
    pos nodes (2 of 13) er+ pr+ Her2-
    AC + Taxol (completed June 05)
    33 Rads (completed Sept 05)
    No hormonal therapy (ever)

Regular User
    Ho Mary...I note you are ER/PR+...therefore presumably taking tamoxifen or an aromatase inhibitor.
    These are a very likely cause of your continuing pain, rather than the chemo.You may be able to change from one to another, to get some relief.

Sam
    dx bc Oct 2001
    tx - mast, chemo(FEC+taxotere), 25 rads.Now on tamoxifen

Regular User
    No. No Tamoxifen or Arimidex or anything like that. I have refused them precisely because I have this terrible pain and I hear that those drugs make it worse. The pain is from chemo. I guess I am the only one to have this problem. So depressing!
    Mary, age 43 at diagnosis - Jan 05
    Invasive ductal carcinoma Stage II
    1.3cm tumor; lumpectomy Feb 05
    pos nodes (2 of 13) er+ pr+ Her2-
    AC + Taxol (completed June 05)
    33 Rads (completed Sept 05)
    No hormonal therapy (ever)

New User

wrist, joint pain

HI Mary,
    I am also looking for words to ease my mind. I am and, have been experiencing extreme wrist pain in Jan/06. I started with Arimidex last Nov.. At my last visit to the Onco. they stated that this pain could be from the medication. They said to stop the Arimidex and the pain should go away in a couple of weeks. It has been a month and I am still in pain. The pain interfers with my daily routines, and personal care. I am relieved to find that I am not the only women that is or has experienced this condition from this drug. I thought I was losing my mind. I was complaining to the doc. they were lifting thier eye-brows...ummm I don't know??? I'm tired of the pain, I am tired of the "I don't knows.."
    I don't know...
    Good Health to you and to all that read this.
    Any comments or help would be grateful..
    Karen up north.

dx age 45, 4/04 Invasive lobular. estrgen +, nodes removed.
    bi-lat mast. chemo ended 1/05, 4 a/c & 4 Taxol
    33 rad (that took 64 days to complete)
    overies removed 11/05
    started Arimidex 11/05, stopped 2/06

Regular User
    Hi Mary and Karen: Sorry that you are also experiencing joint and muscle pain. It is so frustrating. I posted earlier about the same problem. I really thought I was going crazy with my wrist problem. I still have neuropathy from the Taxol. I am taking Aromasin. I am just hoping that it will eventually get better. I am very stiff in the morning or after sitting for long periods. I wish more people would respond as I think it happens fairly frequently. My oncologist said the joint pain from the chemo lasts about a year, but mine didn't start until I was on the Aromasin for several months. Blessings to you both...you are not alone, Sharon
    DX: October, 2004,age 59
    Lumpectomy with Sentinel node
    Sentinel node + with 5mm lesion
    ER/PR +
    HER2 -
    Invasive Ductal with 8mm primary lesion
    Dose Dense AC x 4 with Taxol x4
    Radiation x 6weeks

Regular User

Re: bone, muscle, and joint pain

OH Geez...I have been having joint pain in my right wrist since I stared taking the Arimidex right after my surgery...I just thought the pain was coming from a possibility that they had to secure my right arm during the surgery & maybe the bone got bruised or something...some days I can't hardly use my right hand cause the joint hurts so bad & it gets red & swells too. Never once did I relate it to the meds. So good to know that it's not all in my mind...I mentioned it to the dr. but he just said, I needed to continue the arm exercises they gave me to do after the surgery to strengthen the arm & muscles...So now I've got something to go on & ask him when I go back. So sorry that others are having this problem also...but it's helpful to share these things, that's why I am thankful I found this forum...I don't post much, just read, but I never had to have any chemo or radiation, so it's for sure my wrist pain it's not related to that. I hate it for us all that we think we got one problem solved, & then the meds we have to take causes another problem. There should be a ( relief) zone in there somewhere.
    MomG DX 11-23-05 @ 65 yrs. old. Simple mastectomy RB 0.7 cm 1-6-06ER- 3+PR- 3+HER2/nev (herceptest) Negitive, 0+Main Sentinel Node - NegetiveArimidex 1mg. for next 5 years. Onc. Stopped the Arimidex, too much pain &* side effects. Evista 60mg. a day. No osteoporosis. No Chemo or radiation.
    Mother, lung, liver cancer, Aunt, BC, Sister, Bile Duct Liver cancer

Regular User

wrist pain

Dear Mom G: So sorry to hear that you also are experiencing wrist joint pain. It is especially problematic if you are right handed. Sometimes it is even hard for me to pull the covers up at night....after I have kicked them off during a hot flash. I did try switching to Femara but the hot flashes were much more frequent and severe so I went back to Aromasin. I think my wrists are feeling better though. My oncologist suggested that I take Motrin for pain relief. I even tried the wrist supports at night that people use for carpal tunnel. I have another friend who had a bilateral mastectomy and never had chemo or radiation, but was on Arimidex and had the same problems you and I are experiencing. My fear of reoccurence keeps me on the drugs. Hope yours improves with time. I started Aromasin one year ago and just started with the joint pain around February. It does help to know that we are not alone or crazy. Keep the faith.....sometimes it helps to go off of them for awhile, or switch, and then resume.. Good luck. Sharon
    ER/PR +
    HER2 -
    Radiation x 6weeks

Regular User

Re: bone, muscle, and joint pain

Hey Sharon, Thanks for your reply....it is so helpful to know that others are experincing the same problem with the meds. Yes, I am right handed & I have the same problem trying to pull the covers up, but I'm not having the hot flashes, done been there, done that, but my Oncologist said that was one of the side effects, but never mentioned the muscle or joint pain...I use that wrist support also...it seemed to give me some relief, but when I take it off, Bingo, the pain is back & you can't wear that thing all the time & do any kind of house work. I just started taking the Arimidex in March after my surgery in January, so seems I had a fast reaction to it according to what I have read compaired to others. I am sure going to call my oncologist & ask him about this, because my next appointment isn't till August 1st. & I sure don't want to wait that long to get some relief. Yes, it is good to know we aren't crazy & alone in this...I had my surgery Up State Ithaca NY where my daughter lives & the oncologist there was more thorough in explaining things to me than the one I have here in Va. I might just give him a call since he's the one to put me on this. Thanks for the info.
    God Bless & hang in there.
    MomG DX 11-23-05 @ 65 yrs. old. Simple mastectomy RB 0.7 cm 1-6-06ER- 3+PR- 3+HER2/nev (herceptest) Negitive, 0+Main Sentinel Node - NegetiveArimidex 1mg. for next 5 years. Onc. Stopped the Arimidex, too much pain &* side effects. Evista 60mg. a day. No osteoporosis. No Chemo or radiation.
    Mother, lung, liver cancer, Aunt, BC, Sister, Bile Duct Liver cancer

New User
    I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer in 2004 and have been on arimidex for almost two years. The wrist pain I have on the same right side is severe and interferes with my ability to work and perform daily tasks. My middle finger is also stiff and the pad of the thumb is sore.
    I am not sure it is from the arimidex as I have been reading about
    auxilliary web sydrome- this is a condition in which you have scar tissue form on the nerves in the area of your surgery and/or node dissection.
    The pain appears in your hand/wrist/forearm.
    Massage to break up the scar tissue is suppsed to help but acupuncture is contraindicated due to the risk of lymphedema.
    I hope this pain is from arimidex and will be gone when I stop the med in three years...but I am afraid it may be the web syndrome and in fact be permanent.
    Is anyone else familiar with this condition?
    My surgeon retired so I am unable to see him about this.
    AndreeTerry
    idc stage one
    no nodes involved
    1cm tumor size
    4 A/C 36 rads
    Feb 2004

Regular User

wrist and joint pain

Dear Andree: Thanks for responding. I have never heard of the axillary web syndrome. I suppose it could occur from radiation and an axillary node dissection. I hope yours is from the Arimidex. My bilateral wrist pain is actually improving. I still have the early morning stiffness in all of my joints especially my feet. Skeetchers are the only shoes I can wear comfortably due to the pain in my feet. the neuropathy is slowly improving and I am still taking Neurotin for it. I will be glad when I can stop taking it. Good health to all who read this....In spirit, Sharon
    ER/PR +
    HER2 -
    Radiation x 6weeks