A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cluster of swollen lymph nodes on side of neck, and nodule on thyroid

Newbie New User

cluster of swollen lymph nodes on side of neck, and nodule on thyroid

So about 10 months ago I noticed a lump on the side of my neck. Its not huge, so I ignored it. I went to the drs about 6 months later for something unrelated and asked him about it. He said to keep an eye on it and call him if it grows. Well about 3 months later I noticed it doubled in size. Still not huge, but definately bigger than it was. So the dr ordered a ct and blood work. It came back that my wbc was slightly elevated at 15.3 but everything else was normal. The ct revealed that the one swollen node was actually a cluster of 3 slightly swollen nodes, and that I have several other swollen nodes in my neck area. In the cluster the largest is 5 mm, and throughout the rest is 7mm. They also found a small nodule on my thyroid. The dr is saying he thinks this is all caused by some type of infection. I am just curious if anyone has ever experienced anything like this?
    Last edited by mlw0604; 10-25-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Have they mentioned any scans looking for cancer? Like a PET. Have they mentioned biopsy? What is the course of treatment for this 'infection'?

Many many cancer patients get swollen lymph nodes. It's the nature of their job. (nodes) Why don't you prod for more concrete results and let us know what they are. Jody
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

Many many people come here questioning swollen nodes and the vast majority of them turn out to be infection or inflammation.

Please read.

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...h-NO-diagnosis
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

+ Reply to Thread