A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hematoma after surgery

Experienced User

Hematoma after surgery

This is my first time to post on this site after it being suggested by a friend and there seems to be a great deal of support and help here. One month ago was diagnosed with breast cancer -- lumpectomy of 1.6 cm and anxillary node dissection with one lymph node involved. Just had first round of chemotherapy which fortunately went pretty well with minimal nausea (exercise seemed to help the most). The bruising around the incision has been extensive and appears blood is now accumulating at the incision. Last week the surgeon aspirated which resulted in reduction of bruising but the incision area seems to be swelling, quite painful and soft. Went back to surgeon and did another aspiration and removed quite a lot of blood. He believes surgery at that site to remove blood might be necessary if this doesn't relieve the problem. From what I've read this is not uncommon and the body usually heals itself although it may take quite a long time. My question, has anyone else had this and is there anything I can be doing to help the process along. I do not want to go back into surgery (2x in one month is enough) and it will delay the chemo therapy schedule, which I don't want to do. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Senior User
    Hi Marion,

I did have a hematoma after my lumpectomy. It looked horrible but all the doctors decided it should just be left alone to heal. No draining, nothing. It took months before it went away entirely. It did delay the chemo, but only by a couple of weeks. They gave it some healing time, then decided it was ok to proceed with the chemo. Eventually, everything turned out ok. I'm sure each case is a little different and we are all affected differenly by these things.

Good luck.

Margie

Experienced User

Hematoma after surgery

Thanks for your reply, Margie. Helpful to know someone else has had a similar problem when you start to worry about every little thing once you've been diagnosed. I guess the best thing is to take one day at a time and be thankful for the treatments we have today vs 10 years ago. Thanks, again.

Marion

Top User
    Hi Marion,
    I didn't have the same problem you did, but wanted you to know that I was thinking of you and that even thought there might be a delay in getting started with chemo, which I know the waiting is the worst part, that you're going to do great and before you know it, the surgeries and treatment will be in the past and you'll be starting your new life after BC.
    Hugs and prayers
    Nancy

Experienced User
    Thanks, Nancy. Your support and thoughts are so much appreciated. Seems each day is full of ups and downs and tears always seem to just be on the edge of appearing.

Marion

Top User
    Marion,
    You are so right about the tears, but it feels good to let them flow and relieve some of the anxiety. If you onco doesn't offer, don't hesitate to ask for something. I went in before my 4th treatment and had been crying for a week. He gave me a RX for Paxil and within about a week, I could feel a big difference. You'll get to the point that you get mad at this disease and you'll be ready to kick some cancer butt. Don't ever feel guilty about having a "pitty party" because we all do. I remember a friend telling me she was taking a hot bath and wanted to be alone to have a pitty party, her husband came in and asked if she was o.k. and she threw a bar of soap at him... lol You'll go through so many emotions and we're here for you and there is nothing you can say that would shock any of us who have been where you are right now.
    Everyone on the board is here to help, but if you ever want to let it all out and vent and jump up and down, I don't embarass easy and there's nothing you could say that I've not heard and more then likely have said, my e-mail addy is listed.... lol Sorry Pastor Rich
    Nancy

Senior User
    Hi, Marion, I did not have your problem either, but I had a post-surgical infection. Surg. opened incision to let infection drain. So, as a result, I have a huge divot. Sorry you are having problems healing. Hopefully better days are ahead.

Nancy is so right about the rollercoaster of emotions one experiences when dealing with breast cancer. Some days are better than others. And, I still sweat every mammogram and annual visit to the onc. Some things are just never the same again. Please feel free to post whenever you need to. We are here to walk this walk with you. Hugs, Lauri[/i]

New User

hematoma after sugery

I developed a hematoma after surgery which was huge and painful. The surgeon decided to put on a pressure bandage and not drain it. It has been a month after my partial mastectomy and the blood (and scar tissue?) has become rock hard and still painful. The oncologist said I would need to heal for about 4 more weeks before starting radiation.

My fear is that the radiation will make it harder and more permanent.

Has anyone been in this situation?

IF you're thinking about a breast reduction you have to check this out first!! www.safebreastreductions.com it's really working for me check it out.

New User

Hematoma After Surgery

Hi there All - I had a double mastectomy & immediate reconstruction in May 09 and had suffered with seroma's in back where the latissimus dorsi muscles were removed - after several very traumatic aspirations of the two sites, my surgeon eventually tried a steroid injection into each site and I must say that this has worked a treat !!!!

On my front though, above my left 'breast' I've had a hematoma which keeps recurring and is unsightly and painful, preventing me from moving on now... This week he drained it once again and injected steroid into it, unfortunately within 2 days I can see that this is not working as well as on the back.

On a positive front though - I was so unsure about having the complete double/double operation and as these are so seldom done, I was not able to contact anyone who had had this procedure..... BUT ..... I can assure anyone who is about to go through it, or thinking of the options.... Go For It !!! I found it to be absolutely wonderful, if that's at all possible... ???

Hope to make some new friends and share all our stories !!

Hugs
    Ellena
    xxx
    In this Together

Newbie New User
    Indeed, great thread ! A friend of mine referred me to this LINK REMOVED. Could you point me to another good source on the topic. Thanks, Tosh.
    Last edited by pbj11; 06-18-2011 at 08:40 PM.

I am new to this site,

Your message was very inspiring. I had a bilateral Mastectomy on May 16, 2011. I was so afraid to do it but through a lot of praying and support. I went ahead with the procedure and I am so thankful to God, my team of doctors, family and friends. I have had more pain than I did in the first 7 days following my surgery, I have been truly better than blessed. On May 19, 2011 my surgical oncologist told me they had gotten all the Cancer and no treatments will be needed. God is a gracious and merciful God.

About three weeks after my surgery and the second drain was pulled I developed a hematoma. I was to start getting prepared for reconstructive surgery, which is now delayed. I look at the scars and tell them how ugly they may look to some, but how beautiful they are to me. Because, I am still alive to share my testimony with others.

The doctor is waiting to see if the hematoma will dissolved but, it does appear to be doing anything at this point. I have pressure in my chest from it but, in all honesty it is not that painful. It is just irritating. I tell my family I have gun fighter arms (ready to draw in a shootout at all times..lol).

I pray they don't have to do surgery to remove it.

God bless you all

Newbie New User
    I had a Mastectomy and my lymph node clearance. I had 3 different cancers in one breast and it spread to my lymph nodes. After my surgery I had two drains put in which came out a week later. My scare healed 80%. I had hematoma and it would not go away. The wound was packed with gauze and aqua seal. This had to get changed on a daily basis. Unfortunatly after 3 weeks it seem to be getting deaper and not healing. Now Im still having the wound packed with gauze and I have a (renasys) a pressur wound machine, sucking out the excess blood and fluid. Iv had this for a week and the hematoma is not healing. This has delayed my chemo for an additional 4 weeks. Today I was told by the doctor that he has to open up the wound again and I have to go in for surgery. I do not know what is going to happen, but im stressing as this is another set back. So my hematoma is still here 6 weeks after the first surgery.

I find out tomorrow what this surgery will do. Ill let you know.

Rada70

Newbie New User

Surgery after hematoma

Quote Originally Posted by Rada70 View Post
    I had a Mastectomy and my lymph node clearance. I had 3 different cancers in one breast and it spread to my lymph nodes. After my surgery I had two drains put in which came out a week later. My scare healed 80%. I had hematoma and it would not go away. The wound was packed with gauze and aqua seal. This had to get changed on a daily basis. Unfortunatly after 3 weeks it seem to be getting deaper and not healing. Now Im still having the wound packed with gauze and I have a (renasys) a pressur wound machine, sucking out the excess blood and fluid. Iv had this for a week and the hematoma is not healing. This has delayed my chemo for an additional 4 weeks. Today I was told by the doctor that he has to open up the wound again and I have to go in for surgery. I do not know what is going to happen, but im stressing as this is another set back. So my hematoma is still here 6 weeks after the first surgery.

I find out tomorrow what this surgery will do. Ill let you know.

Rada70
    I had surgery the second surgery two weeks ago. The wound was re opened,cleaned out and the tissue was stiched up and the opening was stiched up again. A drain was placed back in for three days and then removed. This surgery was helped and fixed the problem of the hematoma. I was a little reluctant but must admit im glad i did it.

Rada70

Thank you for this post, it has made me feel so much better. I was so stressed out about this hematoma in my left breast after surgery. The doctors keep telling me it will eventually go away and I thought they were just trying to rush me out of the room. Thank you...

Newbie New User
    I just lost my long post from an advertisement popping up!

Newbie New User
    Hi, I have been diagnosed with Stage II - Invasive Ductal breast cancer. In July 2011, I had double mastectomy, removal of 17 lymph nodes with 2 positive, and then immediate reconstruction with new surgical method of “direct/one-step” full-sized implant using Alloderm. The surgery was supposed to be less than six hours and ended up being 9 hours (7 hrs=mastectomy and 2=breast reconstruction). I had 5 surgical drains placed, and was in the hospital for 3 days of intense pain with a PDA in my hand, nauseated and vomiting, and had to have a blood transfusion.

On Day 5, the visiting nurse came and saw that my left (noncancerous) breast was swollen, painful, and I couldn’t breathe. She called the plastic surgeon (the mast surgeon was on vacation by then), and he had me come right to his office. (I am young but my husband had to push me in a wheel chair because of weakness from surgery.) The surgeon took one look at my breast and said it was a hematoma (in the mastectomy area), and scheduled me for surgery to have the hematoma immediately removed.

So he had to open my incision up again to use equipment to evacuate the hematoma which took just under an hour. I received immediate relief from the pain and swelling. However, he added a SIXTH surgical drain, of which it took 3 full weeks before all drains could be removed. I was bruised solid black from neck to waist and down left arm which took about three weeks to go away.

As a result of the hematoma, the left breast reconstruction was basically destroyed, and he said I would have to come back for “revision” surgery to put in a new implant and fix everything. Since then, I have had even more complications involving the other breast, as well as developing severe axillary webbing/cording syndrome which physical therapists have been working for three months to try to resolve. (BTW, the doctors will tell you that lymphedema could be a complication of breast cancer surgery, but never mention the webbing/cording that can grow out of the incision site where lymph nodes are removed – this is a major quality of life issue so please pass the word along.)

Even more. . . . it was decided that I should have radiation after all, so now BOTH breasts are a wreck, and I cannot have surgery until six months after my last radiation treatment. So instead of a “revision” surgery as the surgeon first called it, I now have to go through a “MAJOR REVISION” surgery and am having a hard time dealing with this physically and emotionally. I will have surgery again in March/April 2012. After all this disaster, I don’t even want to do the final mini surgery which is to have nipples reconstructed.

I am not sure why I had surgery to remove the hematoma right away == while others who have posted to this site had to deal with other methods and wait it out.

Newbie New User

breast cancer

I am so glad to have found this forum!! Sometimes we feel we are the only one not having a smooth sailing treatment plan.
    I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer, since one of the less than .05 cm had negatice estrogen receptors, my treatment plan was lumpectomy surgery was done Sept 1st then 4 weeks later 8 rounds of chemo with a week inbetween.
    Problem was I developed a breast infection so after having IV antibiotics for 3 days, then having a port a cath put in rescheduled first chemo for last week, The oncologist said she didnt want to start chemo because there was a blood blister on my lumpectomy incision and was sure to be infected once chemo began, I understand this , my problem is there seems to be a disconnect between the breast surgeon and the oncologist, one says its fine and healing normally but the other says not healed enough, so frustrating because today they decided I need to wait another week!! You know how ou get yourself mentally prepared for chemo, and when it doestn happen it throws you for a loop, fingers crossed next week there will be a resolution. I am hoping my breast surgeon can open it up and clear the blood out , its not painful just slow draining.

Newbie New User

big blue boob

I appreciate reading these posts. Docs can't give me any answers. I had a lumpectomy in Sept--small. 24 hours later "something" spontaneously happened--my breast started getting larger and larger and it felt like my breast was going to explode. Iced my whole chest and put on a zip up the front sports bra. Really hurt. Back to the surgeon the next day....said it was "unusual"--a hematoma developed for unknown reasons but would eventually go away. Delayed radiation a couple weeks. The swelling grew a bit during the 7 weeks of daily radiation. It's been 15 weeks since surgery. It's hard, still discolored--and definitely doesn't "match" the other one. (How do you buy a bra?) It's not painful, but definitely uncomfortable all the time. Doc says may take years for my body to absorb the blood. Anything I can do to speed that along?

Newbie New User
    Hi. I'm new to this forum. I have had mastectomy surgery and had a hematoma of the left breast. The doctor says my body should reabsorb it. Can you tell me how things are going for you now? I noticed you posted about this in December 2011. Have things improved for you since then? I'm just wondering how long all this will take. I know everyone is different. I hope to have reconstruction surgery in the beginning of 2013. I'm so ready for all of this to be over and done with. Thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread