A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anaplastic Oligoastrocytoma grade 4

Anaplastic Oligoastrocytoma grade 4

Hi my husband has Anaplastic Oligoastrocytoma grade 4 and i wondered if anyone out there also have this type of tumour?
    Also what are the terms of life expectancy for this type of tumour?

We are both 33 and have lived with this tumour for over 3 1/2 years now.
    We also stay in scotland, uk and he has had a craniotomy, radiotherapy and a cyst removal and reservior put in its place to get rid of fluid and to be able to have fluid draned. He has also been diagnosed with diabetes due to the steroids and 2 years ago he developed hydrocephalus( water on the brain) and has a shunt from his head to his stomach.

I just wondered if there was any others going through this type of tumour.

New User

Need these details from you

hi
    Anaplastic OA is classified as Grade 3 as per Modified WHO grade. some of the facts I need to know from you as follows
    1. What is the functional status now?
    2. When did you get the last scan done and what did it show?
    3. Have you tried temozolamide therapy?

if you get back i can suggest what next!

prayers and cheers
    Consultant Neurosurgeon

I am in scotland and his tumour is a grade 4 here.
    His last scan was 2 years ago and it showed no tumour or regrowth.
    He is on no medication for the tumour at all as he doesn't need it

He is fit and healthy and apart from his scar and reservoir bump he looks great. We have had not tumour regrowth or problems with the tumour at all. He has had this tumour for 3 years 7 months. Nothing is being done treatment ways now as hes had his craniotomy and radiotherapy and with no tumour regrowth we are just getting on with life.

I have been told that the life expectancy for this tumour is 5 years, maybe more maybe less so i just wondered if any one else had it and what they are experiencing with their tumour.

New User

so fine

hi
    It is really great to know that he is in the pink of his health. However please go thru these points

1. biological aggressiveness is unique to each tumor. one tumor may be very slow growing and another very aggressive. But the fact that there is no tumor recurrence as of now, it is fine.
    2. as a policy, radiological imaging preferably gadolinium enhanced MRI scans should be done every 6 months to rule out any new growth of the same. one may not have any symptoms referable to tumor growth. as a neurosurgeon i have seen so many patients coming back with recurrences when they fail to come for regular follow up. please keep this in mind.
    hope this will help
    regards

dr arun naik
    Consultant Neurosurgeon

I just thought i would let you know we have just celebrated his 4th year now and he is the picture of health.

Wow! That gives us all so much hope. Thanks so much for sharing ... and I hope his good health continues.

God bless you and yours,
    Joy

Please know you are source of hope and inspiration to me and my family! We live on the Big Island of Hawaii and we are preparing for my husband to have a tumor removed surgically again. His first tumor was a grade 2 Oglioastrocytoma in the left frontal lobe and his recent mri done earlier this week showed that something is there, again. My husband is 42 years old and we have three young children that keep us more than busy! I came across your posting and was so taken by your husband's outcome! Blessings to you and yours!!
    Aloha,
    Andrea

the tumour so far

i would like to let you all know that my husband is in to year 8 ...will be year 9 in august and so far is doing pretty goos. He has now delveloped water on the brain and we have problems with his shunts but so far the tumour is staying quiet.
    After getting 12 months he is almost year 9 so please believe their is hope out there
    regards mariell

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mariell! It is so good to hear from you after such a long time! WOW, your news is indeed good. May your husband continue to win.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

+ Reply to Thread