A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Squamous and Adenocarcinoma in Right Lung

Christine,
    Keep it up! I'm so impressed by the bike riding!
    Blu
    87(now 88!)yr old Dad diagnosed 7/12 w NSC squamous lung cancer w small lymph node involved,1 large tumor 4 CM & some small. Stage 3
    Phase 1 :Chemo 7/12 -6 wks Carboplatin/Taxol
    Hospitalized 4 days after first chemo.
    Concurrent Radiation-every day M-F
    Scan Oct 24- large tumor shrunk ,small gone.
    Phase 2:chemo started first week Nov. Allergic reaction,chemo changed.
    Just Taxol. 3 weeks on/1 off.
    Finished 4 rounds.(12) 2/7/13 now 2 mo off & then a Pet scan.
    4/10/13 pet scan :Good results - tumor granulized or something.
    7/10/13 CT scan shows no negative changes !
    3 months off with intermittent bloodwork then Pet scan end of Oct.
    Oct scan showed an area near original tumor which they'd like to keep an eye on so scheduled scan in Dec.
    Brain CT and Brain MRI . No mets.
    Next scan March 22. Pet scan base of skull to thigh. Results- no negative changes!
    He died 4/10/14 from dementia .
    Go dad go!!

Top User
    Merry Christmas, everyone!

I feel good, but I looked really bad. I caught sight of myself in the mirror a couple of times today and the chemo/radiation is showing. I look ragged and older. Also, I have this weird redness over my nose and cheeks. Looks like a sunburn, but it's the chemo. Like I said, though, I feel good.

My oncologist is on vacation, so I can't ask him about my armpit lump until Jan 15. I should call my GP and try to get in. She's always booked, but maybe they could work me in.
    Both squamous and adenocarcinoma in right center lobe, diagnosed 11/08/12. Radiation, Taxol & Carbo for 8 weeks. New tumor found 02/18/13 in upper right lung and 3 in liver. Began Abraxane & Carbo. PET showed 5 tumors in liver and spread to hip bone 04/30/13. Began Taxotere and palliative radiation for hip. Will soon begin Tarceva.

Christine,

How much have you completed so far? Hope you feel better. Happy holidays.

mike
    At the time - 46 yo male, non-smoker
    Sept 2012 - DX - One tumor NSCLC Squamous Cell Right Upper Lung
    Oct 2012 - TX - Treatment similar to Pancoast Tumor - Pre-operation radiation and chemo (5.5 weeks of IGRT and 3 cycles of Cisplatin and Etoposide)
    Dec 2012 - Surgery - Remove RUL, Surgical Pathology Report Adenocarcinoma T2N0M0
    Now - Wait, watch, & pray

Top User
    I have 3 weeks left, 5 done.
    Both squamous and adenocarcinoma in right center lobe, diagnosed 11/08/12. Radiation, Taxol & Carbo for 8 weeks. New tumor found 02/18/13 in upper right lung and 3 in liver. Began Abraxane & Carbo. PET showed 5 tumors in liver and spread to hip bone 04/30/13. Began Taxotere and palliative radiation for hip. Will soon begin Tarceva.

Top User
    I take a blood test before each treatment. On Wed, when I was already sitting in a comfortable recliner with a cup of coffee and four friendly people talking around me, one of the chemo nurses approached me with my CBB report and said I couldn't continue treatment, my white blood cells were too low (1.9). I argued with her until she called my oncologist, who told her 1.5 is the cutoff figure, to give me treatment. The nurse started an IV, muttering that I wouldn't have any white blood cells left after that day's chemo. I asked her to get in touch with my onc again and ask him to order Neulasta shots. I could get one before I left that day. I had them when taking interfuron and riboviron and they worked fine. The bad part is it stimulates your bone marrow, thereby making your bones ache enough to need pain meds.

The next day, I didn't ride my bike to radiation, because I was feeling weak and unsteady. All my blood counts were off. I made a mental note to call my onc about the Nueblasta shots. The nurse had probably forgotten to call, there were so many people getting infusions that day. I had forgotten, too. So I am walkng to radiation when my shaky legs don't clear a curb at an intersection and I fall hard. One of my hands hits the sidwalk first to brace me, and, in slow motion, I watch mt ring finger and my little finger bend way back. The crack of bones breaking followed. Great. Now, on top of everything else, I have a broken hand. Same side as my painful "back of armpit" lump. I hurried to take off my wedding ring, as the hand was already puffing, and continued onward to radiation. When I got home, I used an ice pack. It hurts a lot. I have to do everything with just one hand.

Senior User
    Christine,
    So sorry to hear of your fall and resulting broken fingers. Smart thinking to remove your wedding ring so you didn't have to have it cut off! Have you seen someone to look at your fingers? You may need splinting or even surgery to treat them.

If you do get the Neulasta, we were told that Claritin can help with the bone pain. My husband has taken it prophylactically the last 2 cycles and has not had any bone pain either time.

Hope your hand feels better and also that your white count rebounds quickly. Take good care.... Will be thinking of you..
    Caregiver to 71 YO Husband Ex Stage SCLC:
    Chest x-ray Feb 2012 negative
    Chest X-ray Sept 27, 2012 large mass right lung. CT scan confirms lung mass with liver involvement.
    Oct 4 Liver biopsy confirms Ex Stage SCLC
    Pet Scan-large (6 X 8 cm) mass right lung with smaller masses both lungs, lymph node involvement, innumerable masses in liver, bony mets to L-4 & T-8
    Oct 17 Begin Chemo (Cisplatin-Etoposide)

Top User
    So sorry you hurt yourself, hope you are doing better today. I have broken a toe and it seems like such a small thing shouldn't be so bad but it hurts like the dickens!! Take care of yourself.
    Mom's xray July 2011 looks suspicious, CAT scan July 2011 SCLC ES diagnosed August 2011
    Etoposide Carboplatin begins august 24th 2011
    CAT December 2011 lung tumors gone or greatly reduced, liver tumor not detectable PCR January 2012 CAT March 2012 more shrinkage
    CAT July 2012 tumors growing July 2012 Topotecan CAT October 2012 Liver tumor has grown October 2012 Taxotere begins CT scan - no growth - brain mets, WBRT in February, CT Scan in March 2013 shows more growth, begin Gemzar.
    Mom passed away July 8, 2013.

Christine,

Sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you feel better soon.

mike
    At the time - 46 yo male, non-smoker
    Sept 2012 - DX - One tumor NSCLC Squamous Cell Right Upper Lung
    Oct 2012 - TX - Treatment similar to Pancoast Tumor - Pre-operation radiation and chemo (5.5 weeks of IGRT and 3 cycles of Cisplatin and Etoposide)
    Dec 2012 - Surgery - Remove RUL, Surgical Pathology Report Adenocarcinoma T2N0M0
    Now - Wait, watch, & pray

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Christine,

Sorry to hear about your fall and broken fingers. Hoping better days are ahead for you. God Bless

Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Senior User
    Christine, So sorry to hear about your fall. Hope your hand heals without having anything done to it. I broke my thumb from a motorcycle wreck and the doctors at the hosiptal told me I would need surgery. The doctor I saw later told me I wouldn't need surgery for it or my shoulder and he was right. Took a long time to heal completely and feel normal, but it did get better with just a cast. Hope yours does too.

Linda
    Lindahun/Summerfield, FL