A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Squamous and Adenocarcinoma in Right Lung

Top User
    I am pretty sore from the falls. There is no way I could wear shoes, but I will go to church and look like a weirdo anyway. And, you guys talked me into calling my onc tomorrow. Maybe I need a brain scan.
    Both squamous and adenocarcinoma in right center lobe, diagnosed 11/08/12. Radiation, Taxol & Carbo for 8 weeks. New tumor found 02/18/13 in upper right lung and 3 in liver. Began Abraxane & Carbo. PET showed 5 tumors in liver and spread to hip bone 04/30/13. Began Taxotere and palliative radiation for hip. Will soon begin Tarceva.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzlesnaps View Post
    Maybe I need a brain scan.
    Did they give you one during you initial dx? Good idea to call the Doc. Hope you feel better.

Prayers
    mike
    At the time - 46 yo male, non-smoker
    Sept 2012 - DX - One tumor NSCLC Squamous Cell Right Upper Lung
    Oct 2012 - TX - Treatment similar to Pancoast Tumor - Pre-operation radiation and chemo (5.5 weeks of IGRT and 3 cycles of Cisplatin and Etoposide)
    Dec 2012 - Surgery - Remove RUL, Surgical Pathology Report Adenocarcinoma T2N0M0
    Now - Wait, watch, & pray

Top User
    The last time I had a brain scan was in May 2012. All of me was scanned then because the squamous cancer in my lymph nodes was a met site. They were looking for the primary and couldn't find it.
    Both squamous and adenocarcinoma in right center lobe, diagnosed 11/08/12. Radiation, Taxol & Carbo for 8 weeks. New tumor found 02/18/13 in upper right lung and 3 in liver. Began Abraxane & Carbo. PET showed 5 tumors in liver and spread to hip bone 04/30/13. Began Taxotere and palliative radiation for hip. Will soon begin Tarceva.

Senior User
    Hi Christine, my father used to fall alot when he was on Chemo, he fell once on the cement just walking, really banged himself up, had to go to the ER, then we were in the Mall one time and he took a nasty fall just out of nowhere, he was a very tall man so when he fell you knew it, his legs also swelled up really bad and hurt, had all kinds of tests and nothing showed up, after he was off the Chemo for awhile he got much better. I am sure that is all yours is.

I don't think I read your thread I will try to go look for it, How old are you? I am assuming you must be young if you talk about having children around. You seem vvery strong and also strong willed which is a good thing. What part of Florida are you from? So they found when they did surgery on your lymph nodes that the primary was from yr lung? You are very very strong, two surgerys in just a short couple of months and you still doing many many things.

Mickey

Senior User
    Christine, how are you doing? Been thinking and praying for you! Hugs Mickey.

Top User
    I suspect it was the chemo, because I am a better everyday. I was pretty bad for a while, though. When I have my PET on the 18th, I will ask the my doctor to include my head in his directions. Just in case.

Mickey, thank you for your concern and telling me about your father. I am 46, two grown sons, originally from Miami but currently living in Tampa due to husband's job. Tampa is okay, but I miss the day trips to Key Largo to snorkel and boat. When they removed the 13 lymph nodes under my left arm, they didn't know where the primary was. Nobody has ever confirmed that the mass in my right lung is the primary, but I think it is.

I am feeling so sorry for my husband. He is working from 10 am to 9 pm five days per week, then another 7 hrs on Saturdays. (No, it's not to stay away from the cancer problems at home, heh-heh.) He's had to help me shower and dress lately because I have not been stable enough to do so on my own. He's had to grocery shop and cook and clean and do laundry. I do what I can, but it has been very little, lately. I am improving, though.

I am an accountant. It's tax time and my clients' packages have been mailed, faxed, emailed to me and are stacking up. I've lost my bigger clients because the cancer. They required weekly attention, which I could not provide. So, I am working on the tax clients as fast as I can. Can't afford to lose them, too.

Christine,

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I was getting worried.

mike
    Oct 2012 - TX - Treatment similar to Pancoast Tumor - Pre-operation radiation and chemo (5.5 weeks of IGRT and 3 cycles of Cisplatin and Etoposide)
    Dec 2012 - Surgery - Remove RUL, Surgical Pathology Report Adenocarcinoma T2N0M0

Top User
    Thanks, Mike. I always think about you, too.

I am so pleased. I fixed a salad for my husband's lunch and am frying bacon and eggs for his breakfast. Yep, I am on the mend.

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzlesnaps View Post
    Thanks, Mike. I always think about you, too.

I am so pleased. I fixed a salad for my husband's lunch and am frying bacon and eggs for his breakfast. Yep, I am on the mend.
    Way to go Christine! I was worry when we had not heard from you, you are so strong. you think in all this world of modern medicine they could come up with something that would not be so awful as chemo! or a better chemo that would not half kill you before it makes you better. But you are making it and I know you will ok! Did they ever see something in your lung, I don't think I saw that on your thread? I did see where you had MAC.

But anyway I am scheduled for my needle biopsy next week, then on to the surgeon to see whats in store for me. All the odds are against me right now, size, shape and high SUV on pet scan on the nodule so I'm there expecting the diagnosis on the biospy to confirm. Just hoping for the surgery, thats pretty funny huh hoping for major surgery, thats even scary and then you have wait again to see if you get a double whammy and have to go through chemo anyway.

When my father had bladder cancer, they talked him into doing that invasive surgery taking out his whole bladder etc, he did good because he was in good health at age 77, but they told us in the hospital his path was all clear we were so excited and then only two weeks later it came back not clear in lymph nodes, problem is they did not know where it went, sadly he did not die from the cancer, he died from kidney failure because his kidneys kept getting blocked and they kept thinking it was the cancer, very sad. Just he had a whole lot of Drs that just seemed to write him off because of his age. By the time they realized what was happening he was in complete kidney failure.

I know you are going to be ok and you will breeze through the surgery, you have breezed through everything else and kept up the good spirit and you are one determine lady. You inspire me. So when is your surgery? the 24th, are looking to do Vats? I know your busy but keep in touch please, I will be praying for you!

Hugs to you in Florida, Mickey

Top User
    It will be open surgery again, same place; but, he only took a wedge of lung. He felt chemo and radiation would shrink the tumor enough that so much lung (maybe the whole lung) may not have to be removed. Surgeon cut a rib to gain access last time, and that hurt a long time. Creepy the way I could feel it shift, too.

Hope your needle biopsy gives you some answers. Sometimes they don't. Mine didn't. The report read that the samples were too small to tell anything. I was all prepared for good news or bad news; I wasn't prepared for NO news. Let us know how your biopsy goes.

Senior User
    Christine,
    It's good to hear from you, i was getting worried. It is good that you are up and about. I really think it's the chemo because I've seen some of this also.
    shannon
    DX Oct 2012 right lower lobe
    Surgery Nov 2012 Stage 1B N0 M0 Squamous
    Adjuvant chemo starts 1-3-2013 4 rounds Cisplatin and Taxotere + Neulasta

Top User
    My Blue Cross nurse (she is a nurse, but she is a case worker, too) just called me and wanted to update my file. The first time she called me, I was apprehensive about my insurance, unprepared for a case worker to contact me. As time went by and she did stuff like mailing a cancer survival kit and getting me registered with the American Cancer Society and making sure Blue Cross covered one medication that they initially limited coverage - stuff like that - I had more confidence that she was really "on my side". She also warns me if Blue Cross hasn't authorized a test or treatment yet, so that needs to be followed up by my doctor.

Has anyone else felt okay about talking with such a case worker? It really made me nervous at first.

Not really. But I was done everything but my surgery by the time the case worker contacted me. At this point she's already closed my file.

mike
    Last edited by mike.b; 02-06-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Senior User
    Christine,
    I was nervous. Mine called the week before surgery to talk about an in home nurse benefit we had. I only had 3 weeks from the 1st spotting of the mass to surgery, so they were on it quickly. i refused. She called while i was in hospital and I asked if i could change my mind and have the nurse . Within an hour , someone from the hospital stopped in to tell me it was set up. Now I call her when I have questions, and she can really take care of stuff.

Shannon
    DX Oct 2012 right lower lobe
    Surgery Nov 2012 Stage 1B N0 M0 Squamous
    Adjuvant chemo starts 1-3-2013 4 rounds Cisplatin and Taxotere + Neulasta

Top User
    This break from doctors and tests and treatments and drugs and financial fears and not being perky is just what I needed to get straightened out again. I was so messed up. When you can't even walk or talk, that's messed up. I feel good again, better everyday.

I am able to prepare tax returns with a clear mind and low anxiety. The new xanax script is helping me take one thing at a time, instead of spazzing over everything at once. I highly recommend an anxiety medication to anyone who is freaking out as I was.

Top User
    That is awesome Christine!!! So glad you are getting a break and a period of "normalacy!!"
    Mom's xray July 2011 looks suspicious, CAT scan July 2011 SCLC ES diagnosed August 2011
    Etoposide Carboplatin begins august 24th 2011
    CAT December 2011 lung tumors gone or greatly reduced, liver tumor not detectable PCR January 2012 CAT March 2012 more shrinkage
    CAT July 2012 tumors growing July 2012 Topotecan CAT October 2012 Liver tumor has grown October 2012 Taxotere begins CT scan - no growth - brain mets, WBRT in February, CT Scan in March 2013 shows more growth, begin Gemzar.
    Mom passed away July 8, 2013.

Top User
    I am so excited. Sunday, after church, my husband and I are taking a day trip. It won't be a big deal, but it will be nice just to walk around with the tourists in the tacky little tourist shops, smell some salt air and get some beach time, eat Greek food. I bet Jody recognized the destination when I said eat Greek food. Yep, we are going to Tarpon Springs for the day. There's a really nice little island called Howard's Park, where I went everyday for 6 mos about 20 years ago. I don't know for sure that we will go there ths trip, because we are meeting a friend of his. Doesn't matter. Just to get out of the aparment and do something and be around other people will be GREAT. I have been so house-bound for so long. The only "out" times have been getting the mail and lying by the pool for an hour each day. (Finally introduced my radiation skin - burns all healed now - to the sun for 15 mins, yesterday.)

Christine

Super Moderator Top User
    Enjoy the day!

Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Senior User
    Hope the weather will be perfect and that you have a delightful day! Enjoy!!

Nyla
    Caregiver to 71 YO Husband Ex Stage SCLC:
    Chest x-ray Feb 2012 negative
    Chest X-ray Sept 27, 2012 large mass right lung. CT scan confirms lung mass with liver involvement.
    Oct 4 Liver biopsy confirms Ex Stage SCLC
    Pet Scan-large (6 X 8 cm) mass right lung with smaller masses both lungs, lymph node involvement, innumerable masses in liver, bony mets to L-4 & T-8
    Oct 17 Begin Chemo (Cisplatin-Etoposide)

Top User
    Sometimes radiation skin burns more easily or colors darker, but mine hasn't. So, any of you who like to tan, don't be afraid. Just be careful and give it a short term try.

The worst part is the edema I suffer because of armpit lymph nodes being removed. My arm won't raise all the way up and the area is swelled. It hurts, too. I am having to wear a sports bra and T-shirt in public to cover it up. I only wear the string bikini by the pool since no one is there but me. That side looks too ugly. My husband says I ought not to be so vain, but he is a LOT older than I. I recall him being very vain when he was my age. I have enough ugly going on with the three large cancer scars... well, five if you count the drain scars.

Christine

+ Reply to Thread