A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pancreatic Cancer on the Rise

Pancreatic Cancer on the Rise

when our new family doctor saw hubby he commented that he felt Pancreatic Cancer is on the rise because he was seeing more patients with it. So I looked it up and he was right. The Chart in the report on the right is concerning to say the least.

http://www.pancan.org/section_resear...nce_report.php
    July 22 2011 Hubby (64) Diagnosed PanCan. Sept2011- Feb 2012: Abraxane/Gemcitabine. Feb-May 2012:Gemcitabine only. June-Sept 2012 5FU. Sept 4-no more chemo - Just living life. Multiple stents. Jan 2013/18 month mark. Mets everywhere. Looking for a bumper sticker that says 'Stay at safe distance - Driver suffering caregiver burnout'. Hospice Thurs Feb 28 2013. March 12 2013 he went off to his new adventure where we will one day meet again. It was 20 months from date of diagnosis until now.

Moderator Senior User
    I can't help wondering if this is a genuine rise in cases of pancreatic cancer, rather than a reflection of higher life expectancy and improvements in treatment of other life threatening cancers - and perhaps a reduction in tobacco related deaths, cancerous and otherwise.

What might cause an increase of pancreatic cancer?

David

The first oncologist my mom saw said that pancreatic cancer is on the rise and by all accounts doctor's do not know why. I can't help but wonder if it is something to do with our increasing type 2 diabetes rates?? Who knows, it sucks none-the-less.

Moderator Senior User
    I suppose that it is possible that in past decades pancreatic cancers were to some degree under reported

But as you say, maybe the dietary changes that affect diabetes have a lot to do with a genuine rise.

David

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi All

Major risk factors for Pancan are 1. Age...median age at diagnosis is 72, diagnosis under 35 is rare. 2. Diabetes 3.Obesity. There are many others but these are the ones that crop up at the head of most lists
    Given that people are living longer than ever before and we have an obesity 'epidemic', for want of a better word, as well as a huge increase in type 2 diabetes in my view it is no wonder rates are increasing.

Other risk factors are smoking, alcohol consumption, excessive consumption of soft drink, hereditary risk, chronic pancreatitis and poor diet.
    Age 57
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My dad wasn't obese, he was very thin all of his life, in great shape, no diabetes, never ate fast food and never drank soda and zero health problems. He did smoke, however I have talked to some people who never smoked and were diagnosed. It's the million dollar question.

Laura
    Dad diagnosed with Stage IV PC with mets to liver March 4, 2011 ~ Died 11 months later, February 4, 2012.

Senior User
    Cancer itself is on the rise and type 2 diabetes is so preventable.
    31 when dx with stage 4 FNHL very young. 6 cycles of RCHOP14 then 2 of COP14
    Which put me in remission. Couldn't have maintaince as mabthera lowered white cell count so far still in remission.

Regular User
    The British Journal of Cancer indicates processed meats being a problem. They were my addiction.

"Conclusion:

Findings from this meta-analysis indicate that processed meat consumption is positively associated with pancreatic cancer risk. Red meat consumption was associated with an increased risk of pancreatic cancer in men. Further prospective studies are needed to confirm these findings."
    BC , Canada
    One beautiful 12 year old daughter and a fabulous hubby!
    Diagnosed April 17, 2012 - Stage 4 pancreatic cancer with mets to liver, possibly lungs.
    Started Folfurinox May 16, 2012 - every three weeks.
    Nasty blood clots with PIC - went to VAD - now on dalteparin and neupogen.
    During the summer, dropped Leucovorin and now on smaller doses of others and went to every two weeks.
    Wicked cold/flu for more than a month, now on Ciprofloxacin.
    Found out cold an flu is probably side effects from Irinotecan. (stuffy nose)
    6 more oxi, irino, and 5 FU, scheduled - full doses.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi All

Risk factors are not causes. Many smokers do not get lung cancer yet it is a major risk factor. At the end of the day its probably down to your Genes. The one thing mentioned in most of the texts I read was that Pan Can is slow growing at first and by the time you are diagnosed you have probably had it for 10 or more years. An early detection test would be welcome.
    Age 57
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyA View Post
    The British Journal of Cancer indicates processed meats being a problem. They were my addiction.

"Conclusion:

Findings from this meta-analysis indicate that processed meat consumption is positively associated with pancreatic cancer risk. Red meat consumption was associated with an increased risk of pancreatic cancer in men. Further prospective studies are needed to confirm these findings."
    Upon being told of diagnosis stage IV PC, reserach staff sent hubby home with a questionnaire. I kick myself for not taking it myself - but hubby read and completed it. he said 'they kept asking about whether i ate sandwiches with lunch meat". For a year he's been brownbagging it to save money. Fuck you cannot win for losing!

Regular User
    AND if you try and watch for nitrates, the packaging is very misleading. CBC Marketplace had a show that indicates “Natural” products have the same amount of nitrates; they just use celery salt instead of another named preservative. I can’t put the link here (Newby) but if you go to their website cbc.ca.marketplace I think you can see the episode - Lousy Labels, Health Hype.
    BC , Canada
    One beautiful 12 year old daughter and a fabulous hubby!
    Diagnosed April 17, 2012 - Stage 4 pancreatic cancer with mets to liver, possibly lungs.
    Started Folfurinox May 16, 2012 - every three weeks.
    Nasty blood clots with PIC - went to VAD - now on dalteparin and neupogen.
    During the summer, dropped Leucovorin and now on smaller doses of others and went to every two weeks.
    Wicked cold/flu for more than a month, now on Ciprofloxacin.
    Found out cold an flu is probably side effects from Irinotecan. (stuffy nose)
    6 more oxi, irino, and 5 FU, scheduled - full doses.

I have been receiving well meaning e-mails from friends about the John Hopkins Cancer Diet however after going to Snopes IT IS FALSE.....
    Would be so nice if changing our diet would end this thing called Cancer.....Not saying that eating healthy doesn't help but it's not a cure.
    Oct 9,2012 Hubby's ( 65 ) ERCP, Stent put in also told might be cancer
    Oct 23,2012 ( ERCP ) diagnosed. PC on head of pancreas.
    Nov. 5,2012 Whipple at Loma Linda Hosp.... could not be finished due to heart issues
    ( 4 1/2 hours into surgery )told it's also attached to Portal Vein, now only Chemo & Radiation
    11-27-12 Surgery site Infection
    Waiting for Chemo/Radiation
    1-6-13...Still waiting
    1-18-13 appt with Radiologist on 22nd.
    1-30-13 Hubby started on his radiation and Pill Chemo ( Xeloda 3200 mg per day ) for six weeks
    3-12-13 ( Bowel blockage) in Hospital Fluid being drained
    3-21-13 Last day of Chemo/radiation...Now on a much needed break
    4-18-13 New Stent put in metal with mesh
    4-19-13 2nd round of ( Xeloda ) 2 weeks on 1 week off till ? 4000 mg per day for 6 months ( changed to 3000 )
    6-12-13 Large Hernia at surgery site/won't be repaired due to his heart condition also losing toenails ( Xeloda )
    8-9-13 Taken off all Chemo just Living Life now and Keeping him Pain Free "In God's Hands"
    REMISSION NOW PRAYING IT WILL LAST 1-10-14

I had a lady tell me that doing a colonic cleanse would help. Wtf???? Somebodys got way too much bowel on the brain.
    July 22 2011 Hubby (64) Diagnosed PanCan. Sept2011- Feb 2012: Abraxane/Gemcitabine. Feb-May 2012:Gemcitabine only. June-Sept 2012 5FU. Sept 4-no more chemo - Just living life. Multiple stents. Jan 2013/18 month mark. Mets everywhere. Looking for a bumper sticker that says 'Stay at safe distance - Driver suffering caregiver burnout'. Hospice Thurs Feb 28 2013. March 12 2013 he went off to his new adventure where we will one day meet again. It was 20 months from date of diagnosis until now.

Senior User
    Yeah thats what I thought Queensville. I wasn't sure if its because I now pay attention to it therefore seem to hear it more or if it was really becoming more "popular" or on the rise I mean.

ChemoMan - Yup! All true statistically which is why I like to create awareness daily to pancan because I was diagnosed at 26, very fit, never overweight, no diabetes, ate healthy, drank rarely, no tobacco, do not drink soda at all etc ....then theres my story of what I'm fighting now.
    www.CancerKickinGirl.com

Fall 2011 - SO SICK. Should have seen a Dr. for diagnosis!!
    Beg. of 2012 Age 26 - Almost DEAD & diagnosed Stage 4 Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer - Spread to Liver, Lymph nodes, Stomach, Cervix, Abdomen & Bowels... VERY SEVERE CASE of PC
    8/12 - Hospitalized for a week for spleen rupture
    2/13 Chemo stable/ cysts shrunk, no growth - I'll take that
    3/13 Hospitalized for hole in fistula in colon caused by cancer. Got stent and healing!

so you think "eat healthy & jog 5KM a day dont smoke and i'll be ok"..and then hubby gets this awful diagnosis. His brother visited (wanted to see him before chemo) and hubby says "i'm having one beer, i'm fucked anyway". Well i dont blame him. Is a beer or a glass of wine over Xmas going to make things worse? HOW COULD IT GET WORSE!!

Experienced User
    Hi Everyone - been awhile since I visited the forum. This subject is of interest to me - PC on the rise. I live in a retirement Village of 7,000 and the past 18 months there are 13 that have died and 2 fighting the battle of their lives right now. That's 15 out of 7,000 diagnosed with PC....it isn't the water or something around here - we all have come from the 4 corners of this nation. Some are in their late 40's, others 70's. 50/50 on gender. Some are lawyers, some worked construction so no similarity with work conditions. Some die within 5 weeks of diagnosis and were real health addicts. Others fight the battle for over a year (for my hubby it was 13 months). Some never smoked or drank, even a glass of wine, in their life.....others did. Most would not be considered obese by anyone's standard.

The common threads I have found with all 15 here in the Village are:
    1) love of bacon and processed meats
    2) ate a good amount of red meat.
    3) going back 3 to 4 years most had been told blood work had come back showing a rise in glucose readings - possible borderline diabetes.
    4) all had experienced a minor weight loss but not enough to cause concern.
    5) over 50% went to the doctor because of pain in the back and got the diagnosis of PC....the rest went to see the doc because of fatigue.

I would be interested in other views on the subject.

Senior User
    Ashley,
    With you on that. Never over 125lbs. Negative on all other things except enjoyed a glass of wine with my friends and at celebrations. Did eat some sandwich meat, but my Mom cooked wholesome and I did my best to do same with my kids.

Senior User
    I would say that it will be some kind of virus that will be the cause of Pancan. Mum passed away just recently 3 weeks after diagnosis. I had a virus last year which attacked my heart and gave me Type 1 diabetes. I have decided to live life to the fullest and to live my life the way I want. Because before you know it your ticket number gets called from above. Everything we eat is full of preservatives and pestacides. I have given up worrying about it to be honest. Cest la Vie!

Senior User
    Marykins my Mum did have a rise in blood sugar level, she ate a mixture of red meat and she loved her seafood, she drank a glass of wine each night, she had that menopausal waist spread, she smoked 10 years ago. She led a pretty healthy life style really. She did travel ALOT. Cruises, Bali and Thailand.

Let's see my husband was somewhat over weight he rarely eats bacon and red meat we mostly eat chicken and fish. He has been diabetic for over 10 years....doesn't drink or smoke.did drink lots of diet soda....Worked out at the gym....over the last 5 years we have been the the ER over 10 times due to vomiting and runs...they would check for gallbladder,etc nothing ever showed they even were checking him for any kind of infections they could think of.......Until this last vist in Oct when his doctor said he has gall stones and were all set to take out the Gallbladder then the blood test showed high liver levels and red flags went up and more tests and the horror of PanCan came back.
    Oct 9,2012 Hubby's ( 65 ) ERCP, Stent put in also told might be cancer
    Oct 23,2012 ( ERCP ) diagnosed. PC on head of pancreas.
    Nov. 5,2012 Whipple at Loma Linda Hosp.... could not be finished due to heart issues
    ( 4 1/2 hours into surgery )told it's also attached to Portal Vein, now only Chemo & Radiation
    11-27-12 Surgery site Infection
    Waiting for Chemo/Radiation
    1-6-13...Still waiting
    1-18-13 appt with Radiologist on 22nd.
    1-30-13 Hubby started on his radiation and Pill Chemo ( Xeloda 3200 mg per day ) for six weeks
    3-12-13 ( Bowel blockage) in Hospital Fluid being drained
    3-21-13 Last day of Chemo/radiation...Now on a much needed break
    4-18-13 New Stent put in metal with mesh
    4-19-13 2nd round of ( Xeloda ) 2 weeks on 1 week off till ? 4000 mg per day for 6 months ( changed to 3000 )
    6-12-13 Large Hernia at surgery site/won't be repaired due to his heart condition also losing toenails ( Xeloda )
    8-9-13 Taken off all Chemo just Living Life now and Keeping him Pain Free "In God's Hands"
    REMISSION NOW PRAYING IT WILL LAST 1-10-14

+ Reply to Thread