A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metastatic Melanoma of the Lungs and Liver

Regular User

Exclamation Metastatic Melanoma of the Lungs and Liver

Recently diagnosed with above diagnosis. Have decided to try Yervoy treatment. Will have second treatment tomorrow. Never had any symptoms other than having a melanoma mole and then surgery to remove more skin and lymph glands to make sure all cancer removed. Seemed to be successful. First 3 month Pet Scan was negative so went to second PS and showed some spots..followed up by CT Scan and still inconclusive. So then 3 months later, November 2nd 2012, Pet Scan showed what regular Oncologist said was metastatic cancer but needed a biopsy of the lung. Had it done and was positive. Had another CT without and with contrast. Showed more spots in lungs and also in liver. Brain scan was negative at this point.
    Started treatment and have had possible side effects except maybe small itching points that have moved around on the front of my body for the past week. No lymph gland invasion which is I guess unusual but guess maybe better?

So anyone else having this situation? I am healthy and show no symptoms like shortness of breath or fatigue. Lucky that way!
    73 year old Male, Have lived a good life!
    Prostate cancer and removal 2008. No spreading of prostate cancer to date.
    Metastatic Melanoma in lungs, liver, one year after melanoma mole removal from neck.
    There is hope...with Yervoy. Tries to stop the clock! Did nothing for mine.
    new trial...Have NO Symptoms, still to this date of 4/4/13 and 7/16/13. July 8th dropped out of the TRIAL as side effects were too much even on reduced amounts in pills. Will see what happens in the next 2 to 3 months. Still think LIFE IS GOOD!

Regular User
    Here it is a few days after the 3rd treatment and I have itching. It started about 3 weeks or so ago but is unusual in my mind. It is now round my belt line on the front. I keep my belt or whatever above or below this area to keep it from making it worse. Seems to help but this itching will come and go. Sometimes it is back at the very ends of my ribs. Mostly my right one and about the 4th rib down. I was given a prescription for the itching but that did not work well for me. It is HYDROXY-ZINE HCL 25mg.
    I took it and an hour later my itching was way less. Then about an hour later, I was so sleepy and went to bed. Could not get warm with normal covers so used more. Had bad dreams and felt like someone had beat me up and had a hangover all at the same time. This lasted the total night. Was up and down many times and felt bad. So just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I am not taking the meds as the itching is NOT so bad I can not stand it. All the itching has been on the front of the body but today it seems to have started to move to the left shoulder blade area .
    This comes and goes. Had started in upper chest area and then outer rib ends then down to groin area and like I just said today to the left shoulder blade.
    73 year old Male, Have lived a good life!
    Prostate cancer and removal 2008. No spreading of prostate cancer to date.
    Metastatic Melanoma in lungs, liver, one year after melanoma mole removal from neck.
    There is hope...with Yervoy. Tries to stop the clock! Did nothing for mine.
    new trial...Have NO Symptoms, still to this date of 4/4/13 and 7/16/13. July 8th dropped out of the TRIAL as side effects were too much even on reduced amounts in pills. Will see what happens in the next 2 to 3 months. Still think LIFE IS GOOD!

Newbie New User

Fellow Traveller

I'm just about your age. My melanoma was from an unknown primary, immediately Stage IV in the right lung. Had a lobectomy. Then a couple small tumors on the brain. SRS radiosurgery. I started the ipi a few weeks before the brain radiation. Next scans at the end of the month.

I've had four ipi infusions. Your description of the places where the itching/rash has appeared seem almost identical with mine. I've used hydrocortisone cream on and off. I also pretty much douse my whole body every morning with Galderma for extra dry skin. Annoying at times, but I have been able to sleep through it. Varies a lot from day to day.

I've had more fatigue than normal but no other side effects, though have had a couple of somewhat strange flareups on my skin that might relate to the ipi. As for sleep, I have notice a lot more dreaming and vividness many nights but never related that to the ipi. Thought part of it was just that I was sleeping more.

+ Reply to Thread