A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prostate cancer in bones how long?

Prostate cancer in bones how long?

A loved one says his prostate cancer (treated with radiation 4 years ago and now age 7 has spread to his backbone. This was over a year ago. Not sure he is telling the truth as he has been saying he doesn't have long to live but been saying this for 5 years. Says he's never asked doctor about life expectancy. Does this make sense? What is life expectancy when yearate cancer shows up in bones? Don't know where to start looking for info----are we talking one year or 20 years?

New User
    Jean,

No one can say just how long a person can live with bone mets. There is wide range for men with prostate cancer. Because of the different drugs currently being used and depending on the many different individual responses possible, time is just what it is...time. Some men live months, some a few years and some live for many years. If you're looking for a configured average I believe it is 5 years. The agressivness of prostate cancer can stay stable or it may change. The one thing we do know for certain is...If a man lives long enough, he will die from prostate cancer that has spread. Sooner or later the cancer will out-smart the drugs.
    Hope this answers your question. Swim
    swim

Husband with metastitic prostate cancer

Hi, my husband who was 44 last year when diagnosed with PC. He has PSA of 170 and Gleason grade 9, T stage 3-4. It is in his breast bone ( which he has had radiation therapy) also in his lower spine, currently he is onto his 3rd chemo treatment. The chemo has helped with the bone pain but his PSA ( which originally wend down to 2 after his first drug casodex was given) is now back to 160. Things look pretty bleak at the moment and I/we don't know if we really should ask the doctor what the long term prognosis is.Any one got any suggestions as to what we should do?? I would really appreciate any input.

Senior User

husband with metastitic prostate cancer

Ellie,

Prognosis can vary a lot, depending on the individual and sometimes how he approaches things.

As you have found, medication can control progression of the disease and reduce PSA. Many people find some medications hard to tolerate, and so they do not use it continually. After some time the drugs usually become less effective.

Exercise, activity, diet and supplements can reduce drug side effects, and make a big difference to quality of life.

A friend found these lifestyle improvements very helpful in coping with his advanced disease and medication.

A website with lots of information and experiences of people including some who have used hormone and radiation treatments:

www.yananow.net

Trust you find it helpful.

Johnw100

Hi John, I guess we know that everones cancer is different, just sometimes you are searching for answers that perhaps you don't really want to know, anyway, we joined our local health club, with the intention of swimming regularly, all good intentions, but sometimes Chris hasn't the energy to even go there, but the membership will remain, and whenever he feels better you can bet I will have him down there, because I know exercise is great medicine for the mind if nothing else.

Thanks,
    Ellie

Prostate Cancer in Bones & Zometa?

Hi again, I started this topic and thanks for answer about how hard it is to predict how much time a person has left on earth. What does it mean when the patient is getting Zometa infusion once a month for two years? Is this still experimental to give to prostate cancer patients who have cancer metastisized to the backbone? Is it used to prevent metastesis? Also received a Lupron shot and hadn't had one of those for a while, what does this mean?

Also I wouldn't mind knowing the best place to find the answers to these questions, I keep ending up reading an advertisement or a drug company site which I'm skeptical of the information since they want everyone to use their drug of course.......

Senior User

Prostate cancer in bones how long?

Jean,

Zometa has had long term results in breast cancer. More recently it has been used for prostate cancer to reduce bone pain and to prevent or delay spread of cancer to bone.

Lupron is often used in combination with other medication to reduce or eliminate testosterone production. It can be used in slow release form, so it might not necessarily be required every month.

Website I mentioned in a previous post, www.yananow.com under "mentor experiences" has about 20 men in the hormone treatment section who have used similar medications for periods of several months to 13 years.
    You can read their details, or email them or Terry who manages the site for more specific information.

Trust they have some good information for you.

John

Senior User

Prostate cancer to bones how long?

Jean,

Correction, website address is:

www.yananow.net

Regular User

metastesis

Metastesis is cancer of the bone. I have it in my scapula (shouldr blade) Casodex is a pill that costs 400.00 for 30 pills. it's purpose is to shut down the testicles to prevent the production of testosterone which prostate cancer feeds off of. Lupron is a female hormone injection that I get every three months to tell the body not to use any small amounts of testosterone that may still may being produced. Lupron has an average cost of 2500.00 per shot. If the Casodex stops working they may want to use castration as a way to stop testosterone. That's what they did in the old days before Casodex. Prostate cancer also feeds from alcohol so it is important to stop drinking if you are in fact a drinker.

Re: metastesis

Quote Originally Posted by br549
    Prostate cancer also feeds from alcohol so it is important to stop drinking if you are in fact a drinker.
    Where did you get this information? I've been searching for more info on this but everything indicates the exact opposite.

See "Red Wine May Help Keep Prostate Cancer Away" at
    http://psa-rising.com/med/prevention/red_wine04.htm.

Thanks.

Senior User

metastesis

Re: Wine and Testosterone

Let's hope PC isn't overly influenced by wine consumption, otherwise half of everyone in France, Italy and Greece will have big problems.

Testosterone declines with age, but older men get prostate problems and PC.

Have often wondered about this: perhaps someone knows the answers.

New User
    Everone is different and all results are not the same.My Dad never told me much about his problem when he first had a high psa,I found out about his problems over 13 year period.He had gotten a positive test at around 60 and he never really had much of a treatment program until the last several years.Well of course by then it had spread into his bone marrow,lymph node system and was all over his body.

Long story short,he lasted well over 18 years.Me I showed a 4.0 psa at 60,now at 65 I popped out a 5.4.Went to a Ur.Dr.and had a biopsy and showed positive on 3 samples,all on right side.I'm not going to waste much time to have treatment.Already started with a Cancer Center and go for my blocking for radiation on 31st of this month and then 8 weeks of treatment.Just think of all the money I will save on my electric bill.I can turn my outside lights off,cause I'll be a glowing in the dark.

Sounds like he has been through a lot,hope all ends better for him than it did for my Dad and my Grand Dad as the same thing happened to him back in the mid 60s.

Regular User

Wine and Testosterone

John,
    I haven't been here for a while, yes you are right a glass or two of red wine is good for you. I was talking about someone who is an avid shot and beer man or someone who spends alot of time at the local bar. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Greg.

Newbie New User

Cool Prostate Cancer Metastasis to Bone (Treatment Discusssions )

I realize some of these forum posts are old, but if anyone out there has what I have and can honestly relate and reply/comment to my condition, it would be appreciated. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2000, I received the brachytherapy procedure (radiation seed implants) in early 2001. I was in remission for almost 10 years. In late 2010 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer metastasis to bone (left rib, right pelvic & lower spine) and had severe pain. I went with hormonal therapy (Casodex & Eligard) and a bone strengthener (Xgeva) with the pain being eliminated (bone scan showed less intensity to those areas). This treatment lasted until the end of 2012 when some of the cancer tumors became testosterone resistant. In order to keep the cancer from spreading to other organs and parts of the body I went under the Provenge treatment in late 2012 & early 2013. My PSA has started to skyrocket and my skeletal system is riddled with cancer tumors, but I have no real pain, just some tolerable aching and discomfort . . . at 77 years old most of us have some aches and pains, that we tolerate! In early August 2013 I receive the latest A-line procedure called Xofligo for my type cancer . . . Xofligo is a liquid radiation infusion, which maybe the answer . . . only God knows how long I will be here on earth after that procedure; however I do have to get working on finalizing my autobiography entitled "Lord, What's It All About?".

Top User
    In Dr. Walsh's book, (everyone dealing with prostate cancer should read this book) there is a chart that predicts life expectancy after PC has metastasized to the bones. 10% die within one year. By five years, 60% have succumbed. At the 10 year mark, 90% have passed away...

This prognosis chart was compiled before the wave of new drugs were being used..These drugs and treatments can add a considerable amount of time to the figures above..Radium 223, Provenge, Xtandi, Zytiga all have demonstrated life-extending benefits but none of them offer a cure....They all have to be considered palliative treatments..

Most PC patients also take Pomegranate, IP-6, Turmeric, broccoli which have been shown to slow down the progression of this decease...
    PSA at age 55: 3.5, DRE negative.
    65: 8.5, DRE " normal", biopsy, 12 core, negative...
    66 9.0 DRE "normal", BPH, (Proscar)
    67 4.5 DRE "normal" second biopsy, negative.
    67.5 5.6, DRE "normal" U-doc worried..
    age 68, 7.0, third biopsy (June 2010) positive for cancer in 4 cores, 2 cores Gleason 6, one core Gleason 7. one core Gleason 9. RALP on Sept. 3, 2010, Positive margin, post-op PSA. 0.9, SRT , HT. Feb.2011 PSA <0.1 Oct 2011 <0.1 Feb 2012 <0.01 Sept 2012 0.8 June 2013 1.1, Casodex added, PSA 0.04 10/2013. PSA 0.32 1/14. On 6/14 PSA 0.4, "T"-5. 10/14 PSA 0.6, T-11

Newbie New User
    HI jean!
    I am also on medications like your loved one, and with bone mets. From my understanding Zometa strengthens bones, when there are bone mets.I also receive Lupron, as part of my hormone therapy., this drops the amount of testosterone in my body (prostate cancer loves testosterone to help it grow) Many Doctors don't like to talk about end of life predictions, as they know that everything they say contributes to our feeling of well being. I didn't think I would be alive for long, after my initial diagnosis. My new oncologist told me that I probably had cancer for many years, before my diagnosis. One thing also, I have had a hard time being totally honest, with loved ones regarding my cancer, as this news is sometimes harder on loved ones than patient. Physically I feel better now than I did at my diagnosis, now that my pain is being managed. Jean! your loved one is very lucky to have someone like you for support!

Newbie New User
    moved from central texas to kennesaw georgia 3/13

me tooth

Quote Originally Posted by jean View Post
    A loved one says his prostate cancer (treated with radiation 4 years ago and now age 7 has spread to his backbone. This was over a year ago. Not sure he is telling the truth as he has been saying he doesn't have long to live but been saying this for 5 years. Says he's never asked doctor about life expectancy. Does this make sense? What is life expectancy when yearate cancer shows up in bones? Don't know where to start looking for info----are we talking one year or 20 years?
    I was diagnosed with prostate cancer that had spread to the bones almost 2 years ago. The Docs (urologist, radiologist and oncologist) all said 3 years is the normal prognosis. I was put through the hormone therapy thing with little help so chemo was started. After about a year it stopped helping so abriterone and prednisone was started. PSA rapidly dropped and is now 0.7. That indicates it's not growing and prognosis extended but not sure how long as it is a new therapy. Pain will not go away without drugs. There are still days of not not wanting to do anything but rest. When feeling good it is easy to over do it and the next day feel rough. It's like a bad hangover without the headache. Anymore questions please feel free to PM me.Sorry

Newbie New User

Life Expectancy

Hi,

I know from reading some of the posts here that it is very difficult to predict but wondered if anyone could help.

My dad was diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer just over a year and a half ago. He began hormone treatment and radiotherapy. He has just completed his 10th lot of Chemotherapy and has been told he wont be having any more.

He is now having more Radio to help with the pain. In these circumstances is there any rough guide on life expectancy ?

Many thanks Adam

+ Reply to Thread